What's new

Who are your favorite audio designers? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I got to thinking about the amp ranking thread-good thread IMHO. Really I also think some brands are very good, but designers are also a reliable indicator of quality.

What are your favorites?

Here are mine:

Digital Gear - Ed Meitner, Mike Moffatt

Amplifiers (including preamps): William Zane Johnson, Dieter Burmester

Power Regulation Accessories: Richard Marsh (also make some excellent amps)

Speakers: Jim Winey, Neil Patel

Let us know! :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Oh,
Nikola Tesla, Tom Voodhanel [anyone belive in reincarnation?] :D
John Curl,Nelson Pass,John Dunlavy,Bob Stuart,Jim Winey.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wish I knew more names, but here goes:

Richard Vandersteen
Chris and Stuart (at Bryston)
Nelson Pass (I had a Nak PA-7AII 225W/ch Stasis amp, rebadged Threshold, that I got rid of because it came from a smoking household and stank every time I fired it up. Maybe I should have tried to "burn it in" :) outside or something. That's one that "got away.")
The Japanese guy who founded Nakamichi (the best cassette decks in the world. Period. ... late 80's, early 90's.)
The dude behind Fosgate and DPL
The dudes behind Lexicon and Logic 7
Oh, the Merdian, MLP dude

I think a lot of electronic components today (pre/pros, mainly) aren't so much one person anymore, but teams of engineers. Less glory. ;)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dr.Amar BosePhd.

My Capitalistic Hero... He can sell anything to just about
anyone. And his Buisness Model is second to only Monster
Cable!

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Steve McCormack. He even takes your calls, replies to your emails... and has designed audio equipment that brings tears of joy to your eyes when you hear it for the first (and hundredth) time...

Yogi

Screenwriter
Amarnath Bose. You got to admit the guy is a genious selling 5 plastic cubes for over 1K which people buy and flaunt at the less fortunate ones like me (frankly how many common folks have heard of Vienna Acoustic speakers). Hail Bose :D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think you have to like the Bose guy for his *marketing* genius, but not for his ability as an audio eqp designer.

Lee- Thanks! :)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Which Lee?

Unless you are really Steve McCormack, I am going to guess you are thanking Lee Scoggins...

Yogi

Screenwriter
I think you have to like the Bose guy for his *marketing* genius, but not for his ability as an audio eqp designer.
In the early days he did design the speakers (or atleast so I thought). The fact that the design didn't involve anything and hasn't changed over the years is another thing. BTW I was just kidding about his design capabilities.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
has designed audio equipment that brings tears of joy to your eyes when you hear it for the first (and hundredth) time...
Dan D'Agostino's gear (Krell) did this to me in the early '90s. I haven't heard/owned any recent Krell stuff, though...

JBL/Harman has had some sharp folks over the years, too... like Drew Daniels and John Eargle...

Dave

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Henry Kloss

Where would Acoustic Suspension Speakers be without him
and his group of engineers :)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
I must add another:

Paul W. Klipsch

One of the greats, and an authentic genius.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think the various researchers in the telecommunications field deserve a bunch of credit for that which has trickled down, sometimes accurately, sometimes inaccurately, into the audio realm. But I would like to shoot that person(s) that saddled us with RCA's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks