What's new

What's Your Opinion - $400-$600 receivers??? (1 Viewer)

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the market for a new A/V Receiver. I just had an additon made on my house and I am now wired for 6.1 surround. I am looking for a GOOD receiver in the $400-$600 range that will also have HDVT Componet video switching, A/B Speaker switching and expandability...

I have been reading up on some models and would like anyones input and opinions. I currently own the Denon AVR 2801 and am really pleased with it, but I need to up grade to HDTV Componet inputs/Outputs.

The models I have researching are:

Onkyo TX-SR600
Sony ES STR-DA2ES
Denon AVR-2802
Pioneer VSX-41 Elite

I had a DD Sony about 3 years ago and was not too impressed but I understand the ES models are excellent...

I really need some advice and I would really appreaciate some responses and even suggestions of other models I may be over-looking.....

THANKS!!!;)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I would throw out the Pioneer 41. It is not worth the money. The Pioneer 811 is the same machine except for 110 vs 100 and the 41 has re eq.
I personally don't like sony they all sound muddy to me. The higher end ones are a little better but for that money I would go other directions.
I did like the Onkyo don't be fooled on what people have said I owned it and liked it better then the Pioneer that I ended up getting but I didn't want to risk getting another Onkyo and having the same problem with certain movies(would make the speakers pop at certain scenes)
The onkyo sounded smoother more natural than the pioneer. I got the Onkyo for $399 at Circuit City.
The denon is also a nice receiver I just wasn't impressed for the money and I hate the looks of Yammies(my opinions)
The only thing the Onkyo 600 does not have is pre outs..not saying you are looking for that but some people want the availability to add an amp in the future. You can always go to crutchfield.com and do a comparison on most of the receivers you listed.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V 1300, it has everythign you want and sounds quite good, better than similar priced Marantz models in my opinion.

I would take a look at it if i were you.

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
The kenwood vr6070 has a good amount of bang for the buck. It is only about 400-500 new and it has everything you are looking for plus it is thx select certified. I had one for a few months and thought it was great for the price.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
"I had one for a few months and thought it was great for the price. "

Yeah, but what do you think about it now that you've upgraded!? :)

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys!!!!

I am really looking into that Yammy 1300... Never been much of a kenwood fan.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I would stay away from the DA2ES, I had one for few weeks and ended up exchanging it for a Denon 2803.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I have the Onkyo SR600 and really like it. I also liked the Denon 1803. I think the 2803 which wasn't out at the time would be a great choice if you want to spend the extra money. Denon has good A/B switching functionality and B speaker connections (Onkyo just has spring clips for B speakers). The Onkyo has slightly better video switching and a much better remote. I also think you can get the Onkyo for a little better price.

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
It is at the top end of your range, but the Sony DA4ES is a great unit. Incredibly configurable.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
You can get the Sony 4ES in that price range if you look hard enough. Amazing receiver.

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if you are looking at H/K, but I just picked up a refurbed AVR-525 from One Call for $499. It replaces my Yamaha HTR-5490, and I am very please with it so far.

CHad

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Eric...that's what I thought you'd say :D

Larry...I tried out the kenwood, h/k and onkyo and I chose the onkyo. I've seen the sr600 open box at CC for 499.00 and the sr797 open box for around 600.00.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I thought the Onkyo sr600 was 499 new even though I got it for 399 new from Circuit City.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Chad,

You are correct, the Onkyo sr600 retails for 499 but it is easy to get it for 100 less like you did. I think the Denon 1803 is a little harder to get a good discount on.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I beleive I still have my receipt for the Onkyo sr600 for $399. They usually won't match internet prices but they should match Other Circuit City receipts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks