What's new

theater setup questions (1 Viewer)

ChadRS

Auditioning
I currently have an older tv with only RF in. I also have a newer vcr, and receiver. But I'm throwing a wrench into the works by buying a dvd player. I know you can't run the dvd through the vcr to get to the tv. My question, is what do i need to get the audio through my receiver, and the video to my tv?

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D711 and it has 2 component video input, 1 component video output, 3 digital inputs, 1 digital output, 4 S-video input, 2 S-video output, 8 audio inputs, 4 video inputs. The dvd player will have your normal svideo, etc. What connection from the dvd player to receiver would provide the best sound for me?

Any other info would be great.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Welcome Chad,

I think you're in a bit of a pickle using just a TV with a coax input only BUT, for the time being (hoping maybe you can get a new TV to enjoy all your other toys) you can perhaps connect everything (DVD VCR) to the receiver via the COMPOSITE -yellow- CABLE and buy an RF converter (SEE HERE) and connect it to your TV (using the COMPOSITE VIDEO OUT FROM RECEIVER).

That way you can switch everything through the receiver.

Don't forget that COMPOSITE (yellow plug) is the lowest level of video when compared to S-Video and COMPONENT, but it will work fine in your case.

As for the sound on the DVD...use a yellow 75ohn video cable from Radio Shack etc and connect it from the COAX OUYT on the DVD to the COAX AUDIO IN on the 711 receiver. You will be fine and have great Dolby Digital/ DTS surround sound. No need to buy expensive cable for it..oh and COAX and OPTICAL sound identical. :)

Good luck!
Alfer

ChadRS

Auditioning
I will be getting a new tv late this summer, so it's a temp solution. Right now the vcr is going out to the receiver and tv, so that works fine. But with the vcr taking up the lone rf in on the tv, I wasn't sure what my options are.

I figured I'd need the rf converter, but with only one port on the tv, how can i get both the vcr and dvd player into the tv? I assume the audio out from dvd would go to the receiver, then the video out would go to the rf converter, then from there to the tv. With that setup, my vcr would seem to be unhooked until needed. Am I correct in this assumption?

Without the vcr hooked up, would i still be able to send the tv audio through my receiver?

edit: ok after rereading your post, i think i have it. Hook the vcr and dvd into the receiver. Then send the signal from the output of the receiver to the rf mod, then on to the tv. Correct?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Take all the video out cables from DVD, VCR and plug them into the appropriate INPUT on the receiver..then connect the yellow COMPOSITE OUT yellow cable from the receiver, and plug it into the RF Converter..then the RF goes to the TV.

You can now use the VCR and DVD whenever you want without worrying.

Simple as that.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks