Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting story regarding build quality of my Def Techs....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:24 AM

I have a full suite of Def Techs with the Pro Mon 100s as my mains (all of which I love). I had to get something like the 100s for my mains as I have fairly tall built in cabinets with no real room for towers. So I have the 100s on top of the cabinet using the built in swivel stand.

One of my cats likes to sleep up on top. Usually never a problem. But silly me decided to try and coax him down yesterday. As he tried to make his way, he brushed against one of the mains and knocked it over.

....cue the slow motion camera with no hope of reacting in time....

So the speaker rolls off the cabinet, and for a brief second, it hangs by the speaker wire. About .5 seconds before I could grab it, it falls to the (brick) floor and cracks a chunk of plastic off the corner of the housing. At this moment, my daughter goes running scared into the other room since I used a colorful metaphor fairly loudly.

Anyways, fearing the I would need to buy a new speaker, I begrudgingly went about getting it back up and hooking it back to the wire. I first ran Avia to check phase on my connection (and this sounded ok, granted, with pink noise).

I then put in a CD and played back in two channel mode and panned the balance left and right. This seemed ok. I have also since watched 3 movies and all is well.

I have yet to run a full re-calibration with Avia, but I supposed that will go ok (I will need to recalibrate since I was playing with the balance control and I don't know if I got it back on the exact spot.

So, what could have been a disaster turns out ok and I am quite impressed even more with my Definitive Technology speakers. I am planning on getting some rubber or metal strapping to place over the foot of the speaker stand and then will screw into the top of the cabinet. This will keep the speakers from doing a Tom Petty again.....

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   RobWil

RobWil

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:55 AM

What about the cat Posted Image
that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 08:25 AM

The cat was fine. He jumps from pretty high up all the time. He usually comes down another way, but since I was being the worry wart, he tried to come down right by the speaker instead.....

I guess he still has 8.5 lives......

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Don Bernow

Don Bernow

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 10:06 AM

Sorry, but the cat dies.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   John Dunlap

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 10:50 AM

I had a similar experience years ago with my Energy AC-300 Center Channel. Athe time time it was sitting fairly precariously on top of my 27" TV. One day my cat knocked it over. It toppled off the back of the TV, damaged a piece of the wall and cracked off one of the end caps.

I also used some words that would have made George Carlin blush!!:b After my little hissy fit I contacted for Energy for some replacement parts. They sent them out the same day AT NO COST. They are fantastic to deal with as far as Customer Service.

The cat is no longer with us!!

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 12:26 AM

Follow-up......

One day later I already had an e-mail from Def Tech helping what to look and listen for to determine if I have any problems. I have passed all tests ok and thank the rep at Def Tech for getting back to me so quickly!!!

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Dale Ridgeway

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 07:23 AM

I have to attest to the deftec's abuse ability.
I had a new kachina sitting on top of one of my BP8B's untill my German Shorthair puppy thought it was bird and crashed into speaker, sending it slamming into the floor Posted Image
After running her down in the backyard and pulling the kachina out of her mouth, I returned to living room and was prepared for the worst. Just a tiny mark on the corner!
Fast forward 24 hours later..... Dog number two goes into a point upon seeing kachina , which at the moment I found humorous...untill dog breaks point and topples the speaker once again.
BP8B now resides alone without any decoration!Posted Image

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   RobWil

RobWil

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 09:32 AM

"What about the cat Posted Image"

"The cat was fine. He jumps from pretty high up all the time. He usually comes down another way, but since I was being the worry wart, he tried to come down right by the speaker instead..... "

NO....I meant what did you DO to the cat! I'm with Don....the cat dies!
that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!