What's new

NBC Enterprises Pacts to Bring 10 Series to DVD (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
According to http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5857 , "Will and Grace", "Kingpin", "Saved by the Bell", a smattering of "Saturday Night Live" releases, two "Homicide" season sets, a Canadian release of "Little House on the Prarie", "It's a Very Muppet Christmas Movie", "Providence", and "Rebecca's Garden" are all coming to DVD.

"Ed", "Crossing Jordan", and "The Pretender" are in talks for an Artisan release.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Saved by the Bell: The Complete First & Second Seasons on September 2!

This is easily the greatest news in the history of the DVD format.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Wow. SBTB on DVD. "I'm so excited. I'm so excited! I'm so... so... SCARED!" If the price is right, hey... Except S1 is, IIRC, "Miss Bliss's Class" with the different cast.

I never watched Ed but I have friends who love it. Maybe if it is cheap.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
SNL releases? Let's hope it is the good seasons and not those one's in between that no one wants to admit to...I assume as well that these will be 'best of's' and not complete seasons?

Will and Grace...that would be a purchase as well.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Canadian-based Imavision Direct will release complete seasons of the beloved 1974-83 series "Little House on the Prairie" later this year. A portion of series' run had previously been released in non-season format on DVD.
Would this be marketed in the US too? If not, I'll just import it from Canada.

Chris

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Ooh, where's this info from? Does anyone have a link to an episode guide? I assume it's 2 seasons in one box? Is the first season a shortened one? This was a fun show, might get it. Now for Married with Children!

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Paul, the info is from the article linked in the first post. IIRC, all SBTB season's were fairly short.

Joel, SBTB S1 was with Miss Bliss, in Indiana, though the exact same school as Bayside in California, go figure :D

Chris

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I agree craig. This is fantastic news. SBTB, I have my ReplayTV record it every morning. I can't wait for the DVDs. I have a feeling Season 1 will indeed be Good Morning Miss Bliss...but renamed to SBTB as it is in syndication. This way the product line would all have the same name.

This news has made my day, week, year :P

Maybe it'll be GMMB with SBTB "season 1" in the same set?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The article says Starlight will be releasing episodes of Rebecca's Garden in October, implying that will be its DVD debut. But Starlight is releasing three discs culled from the show on April 15. Not a big draw, I know, but I just wanted to clarify for interested parties.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Totally thrilled about Saved By The Bell. I wonder if by First & Second Seasons, they mean the first two of the High School years or the 13 episodes of "Good Morning, Miss Bliss" and the first high school season.

I have no doubt these will sell well - even my rudimentary understanding of demographics tells me that people between the ages of 15 and 30 buy a lot of DVDs, and these are the people who grew up watching this. Great, great, great news!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm a little embarrassed about SBTB, but I watched it recently and found it held up a lot better than I thought it would. Still, the one I'm looking forward to is Little House. What kind of quality can we expect from Imavision Direct, though? I'm used to the show looking pretty crappy and faded in syndication. I hope they can spruce it up. Either way, a must-own for me.

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
EDITED to note that Luke is the fastest draw on the net for Buena Vista data!

And with this announcement, I am that much closer to losing a bet pitting the release dates of Saved by the Bell and a certain Kid getting Acquainted with the Universe. (I was sure BVHE wouln't let me down after actually releasing "Sports Night". Oh, well.)

It's great to see that NBC hasn't let its lack of a parent studio stop it from entering the DVD market with a bang. I mean, two seasons of Homicide! Possibily Crossing Jordan and The Pretender! Little House on the Prairie from a company in Quebec who I've never heard of before!

Steve, besides the fact that IMDb reports Scrubs as being produced by Touchstone, not NBC, there's the whole syndication/cable-sell through issue. (If they renew long enough, they can probably get some quick cash, perhaps releasing DVDs a year later. I don't know - it truely is a Brave New World when it comes to current TV, full of seemingly arbitary random decisions.)

Aaron Thomas
"Good Morning Miss Bliss" was probably edited to allow for the Zach Morris intros, don't you think? :can of worms opening:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, we already knew some of this: Kingpin (but in-stores news is certainly welcome), Will & Grace (but a street date is great to get!), Little House on the Prairie, and Homicide: Life on the Streets.

In fact, here's box art for both Homicide (5/27 release) and Profiler (6/24 release):

But there is a *LOT* of new info there:
* Saved By The Bell (yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!...dances around the room naked)
* Saturday Night Live releases (I assume the "spotlights" mostly continue the exisiting series; the 25th Ann. 5-disc set is the one I want!)
* Muppets (always welcome in my house)
* Providence
* and perhaps different episodes of Rebecca's Garden (Randy is, of course, right as usual...there are 3 Starlight DVD releases of Rebecca's Garden for 4/15th...maybe Brian at FutonCritic just got a wrong date?).

Adam...thanks for passing this on! :emoji_thumbsup:

Brenton

Screenwriter
The Muppet one is good news in my book.

As for Saturday Night Live, I'm feeling a little mixed. I was hoping for season-by-season sets, but if it starts to look like it'll never happen, I may go for this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks