What's new

Adding extensions to files on a PC (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have both a Mac and a PC. I have a bunch of Mac CD's that have clip art (eps) and sound (aif) files on them. Since they are Mac files they do not have extensions on them. I can open them up on my PC, but I have to open the App. and drag the files onto the App. (i.e. I can't double click them). This isn't a big deal, but I was wondering if there is a way to universally add an extension (i.e. ".wav" ) to a folder full of files?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Go to a DOS prompt (or Command Prompt in NT/2000/XP), and use the "CD" command to go to the folder in question, then issue the command:

REN *. *.wav

to add a .wav suffix to all unsuffixed files in the folder.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
This, of course, assumes that the Windows programs you want to use to open these files are associated with the correct applications (which is also an easy fix). As you've probably noticed, the Windows file system can't tell the difference between a Photoshop EPS and an Illustrator EPS, so if you want to open the EPS files in Illustrator, double-check that the .eps file format is associated with Illustrator.

And people wonder why Windows hasn't taken over the print and design industries...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
Thanks, that works. I just wish I could do it to a directory and all sub directories at the same time. :frowning: There are a bunch of sub folders, so now I gotta keep changing directories to execute each command. Is there a way to do them all at once? or am I stuck going into each folder?

David,
I know how to change the file associations so I'm not screwed there, but I do know what you mean about file associations getting screwed up.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mark,

No, there's no wildcard option for the 'path' part of the command. You would need to write a little program for that.

BTW, although you can only start a file with the associated application by double clicking (or single click if you have set that option), you can always right-click it and get a choice ("open with"), with the most often used applications (for that extension) on top.

Cees

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Probably the easiest way to rename them is to use XCOPY and rename while copying from the CD:

xcopy f:dironcd*. c:dironhd*.wav /s

//Ken

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
I use a program called the Rename. It comes in very handy when moddifying prefexes, extensions, ect. Heres a LINK.

To add/change an extension, goto 'folders' and select your file. Thn go to the bottom area where it says 'modify extension' and there are several subheadings below. Click on 'Text,' than choose add text and type in your extension. Than go to runstart on the toolbar.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,

Thanks for the link, the program didn't do sub folders, but it was quicker than the Dos Prompt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks