What's new

Observations after baseball's first full week (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Three things stand out to me so far:

1. The AL East is shaping up to once again have all teams finish in the exact same order, which has --unbelievably-- happened the last five years. (Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, Devil Rays (who swapped divisions with the perennially cellar-dwelling Tigers).

2. The 2003 Detroit Tigers may be the worst team in MLB history. That distinction would require quite a bit of ineptitude, but I honestly think this team would have trouble competing in AA ball. They are getting pasted in every game, are hitting about .100 as a team, and have few recognizable names on the roster. I think 120 losses is a possibility this year. I feel for Tigers fans.

3. Is Ken Griffey the Grant Hill of MLB? The guy cannot stay healthy and is getting hurt every year in April.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd be surprised if the Braves are at the .500 mark by the All-Star break. Their offense if pretty anemic, today notwithstanding.

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
My main observation:

The Brewers have done the unthinkable, they have gotten WORSE! They are off to an 0-6 start. It's embarrassing.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
There is one constant in the base ball universe. Armando Benitez still sucks. Blows another game i was at. He is 0-15 when im at a game he comes into

capt

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well the Braves game was fun today. They actually won another game! and hit the ball!

Hopefully they will get going. I'd hate to see a loosing season, but it's a possibility.

But with super cheap tickets you can go to most of the home games if they keep loosing.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The Giants look better than last year.6 - 0, not a bad start on the road.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Finally the Oakland A's are putting together a decent April. Now, hopefully they won't have to scratch and claw to make a run for the pennant. Maybe this will bring the trade rumors to a halt in regards to Tejada, because as much as I would like him to stay in Green and Gold (fat chance), I would much rather see him leave if it means they get their first world title since '89. The future is now I say...not next year or the year after or.....

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I agree about the Royals. I live not too far from KC. We may not be playing in October, but when was the last time KC had anything baseball related to be excited about? I'm just enjoying the moment.:) :emoji_thumbsup:

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Casey, I don't follow. (Maybe because it's late..)

But Garland? As in Jon Garland? He's with the White Sox. He's on my fantasy BB team and he stinks.

WOO reference... dunno.

Look at all the Royals fans come out of the woodwork! :laugh: I'm sticking with my Cardinals, even though the entire team is soon to be on the DL. :rolleyes

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
It's been a pretty meh week in terms of the Mariners. They looked good for half of the games and for the other half I just didn't know what to think. It looks like the same team from last year that left to many men on base and couldn't get clutch hitting when they needed it.

I just hope Hank Blalock stops hitting so my friend can shut the hell up about his first place standing in our fantasy league :angry:

Ken Griffey is definitely the Grant Hill of baseball. I do have some respect for the guy, he actually took less money to play with his dad like he said he wanted to, not like some chump who wanted to play for a contender who lets see hasn't finished past last sense he got there and bye my observations is going for another hmm.... you guessed it, last place finish.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Go Hank Blalock! (he was in my fantasy farm system and I'm quite happy to have him make himself eligible at 2nd base) :D

Speaking of happy pickups and the Royals, how about that Runelvys Hernandez? Not only is he pitching like Pedro, but he's got one of the best baseball names I've ever heard. I suspect that the Royals will be unable to resist over-working him and Affeldt though, and wreck both of their careers prematurely.

Speaking of Pedro, what the hell is the matter with the Red Sox bullpen? Do they need to move Wakefield back out of the rotation (not that he's been any gem this year either)?

Yes, the Brewers suck ever harder than before--the only question is whether they will lose 100 games before the All-Star Break. :frowning:

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I'm from Kansas City, and support for the Royals has been at an all-time low in recent years - people have been severely pissed at the way management dealt away Jermaine Dye and Johnny Damon. But yes, if the Royals keep playing the way they have been, we are going to see a whole lot of fair weather fans this year. Just like those damn St. Louis Rams - people couldn't care less, and then as soon as they start winning... it's disgusting.

That having been said, I'm not a big baseball fan and not a big Royals fan, but it is good to see them off to a good start this season.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
There is one constant in the base ball universe. Armando Benitez still sucks. Blows another game i was at. He is 0-15 when im at a game he comes into
Joey - from 1 Met fan to another - STOP GOING TO GAMES~~:laugh:

I was amazed to see a stat the other day that he has the highest save % in both leagues over the past 3 years (although he still can't close the door in a big spot!) This year I get a double-whammy every time he blows a save b/c he kills me as a Mets fan, and kills my Fantasy Team! :angry:

How about Cone's performance on Friday night - not bad for a 40 year old!

Other Non-Mets related sightings from Opening week:
Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling - 0 wins
Maddux gets rocked in 2 starts
Boston's closer by committee - shows you stats on paper do not equate to performance on the field
RUNELVYS!!! Gotta love that name!

How many are in Fantasy Leagues this year?

Pete

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Boston's closer by committee - shows you stats on paper do not equate to performance on the field
Again, small sample size. And I think a lot of Red Sox fans could tell you about absolutely terrifying saves by the likes of Heathcliff Slocumb and Ugueth Urbina. Heck, if there's a more misleading, useless stat than "Saves", I'd like to hear it.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Jon, Mark,

The Brewers will heat-up this year. I'm not in denial.

Ah, the nay-sayers regroup after six games.

I'll be bringing this thread back to life in while guys. And if for some reason, I'm wrong - I would expect the same from you.

There will be plenty of room on the bandwagon at that time.:D

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hope you're right, Scott. I've been miffed with Brewers management ever since they hauled in a mountain of cash with the new stadium and spent a grand total of Nothing on players, instead putting it into "debt service." Dismal attendance (no sellout on OPENING DAY?) is the natural result--hard to get fans to get very excited about debt service.

And I can't say I'm any too hopeful about the new management either....the highlight of their offseason--essentially swapping Jose Hernandez for Wes Helms--doesn't exactly get my fan juices flowing. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. At least the future looks promising for 3 or 4 years down the road; there are finally a bunch of good-looking Brewers prospects on the way. Now if they can just manage not to have career-ending injuries.....

I hear what you're saying about sample size, Jason. But the stats we've got are all we have to work with so far. Things have to get better for the Sox bullpen, right? Right? Serves me right for taking 3/5 of the Red Sox rotation on my team (Pedro, Wakefield and --urk--Burkett), I guess. We'll wait and see....our league rules don't permit any roster changes for 6 weeks anyway, so there's nothing to do but wait. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks