Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Observations after baseball's first full week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 09:32 AM

Three things stand out to me so far:

1. The AL East is shaping up to once again have all teams finish in the exact same order, which has --unbelievably-- happened the last five years. (Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, Devil Rays (who swapped divisions with the perennially cellar-dwelling Tigers).

2. The 2003 Detroit Tigers may be the worst team in MLB history. That distinction would require quite a bit of ineptitude, but I honestly think this team would have trouble competing in AA ball. They are getting pasted in every game, are hitting about .100 as a team, and have few recognizable names on the roster. I think 120 losses is a possibility this year. I feel for Tigers fans.

3. Is Ken Griffey the Grant Hill of MLB? The guy cannot stay healthy and is getting hurt every year in April.

#2 of 43 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,831 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 09:37 AM

I'd be surprised if the Braves are at the .500 mark by the All-Star break. Their offense if pretty anemic, today notwithstanding.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 43 OFFLINE   JonS

JonS

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 10:48 AM

My main observation:

The Brewers have done the unthinkable, they have gotten WORSE! They are off to an 0-6 start. It's embarrassing.
Zombie New Human!

#4 of 43 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 10:52 AM

There is one constant in the base ball universe. Armando Benitez still sucks. Blows another game i was at. He is 0-15 when im at a game he comes into

capt

#5 of 43 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 11:35 AM

Well the Braves game was fun today. They actually won another game! and hit the ball!

Hopefully they will get going. I'd hate to see a loosing season, but it's a possibility.

But with super cheap tickets you can go to most of the home games if they keep loosing.

#6 of 43 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 11:59 AM

The Giants look better than last year.6 - 0, not a bad start on the road.
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#7 of 43 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 12:10 PM

Finally the Oakland A's are putting together a decent April. Now, hopefully they won't have to scratch and claw to make a run for the pennant. Maybe this will bring the trade rumors to a halt in regards to Tejada, because as much as I would like him to stay in Green and Gold (fat chance), I would much rather see him leave if it means they get their first world title since '89. The future is now I say...not next year or the year after or.....
searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound.

#8 of 43 OFFLINE   Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter

• 1,836 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 12:21 PM

How about those Royals! Posted Image 5-0 (Rained out today)

#9 of 43 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 12:27 PM

I agree about the Royals. I live not too far from KC. We may not be playing in October, but when was the last time KC had anything baseball related to be excited about? I'm just enjoying the moment.Posted Image Posted Image

#10 of 43 OFFLINE   CaseyLS

CaseyLS

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 04:28 PM

1. Where is Garland?
2. If it is a WOO reference I am moving.
3. Go Royals

#11 of 43 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 06:09 PM

Casey, I don't follow. (Maybe because it's late..)

But Garland? As in Jon Garland? He's with the White Sox. He's on my fantasy BB team and he stinks.

WOO reference... dunno.

Look at all the Royals fans come out of the woodwork! Posted Image I'm sticking with my Cardinals, even though the entire team is soon to be on the DL. Posted Image

#12 of 43 OFFLINE   Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 07:56 PM

It's been a pretty meh week in terms of the Mariners. They looked good for half of the games and for the other half I just didn't know what to think. It looks like the same team from last year that left to many men on base and couldn't get clutch hitting when they needed it.

I just hope Hank Blalock stops hitting so my friend can shut the hell up about his first place standing in our fantasy league Posted Image

Ken Griffey is definitely the Grant Hill of baseball. I do have some respect for the guy, he actually took less money to play with his dad like he said he wanted to, not like some chump who wanted to play for a contender who lets see hasn't finished past last sense he got there and bye my observations is going for another hmm.... you guessed it, last place finish.

#13 of 43 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:30 AM

Go Hank Blalock! (he was in my fantasy farm system and I'm quite happy to have him make himself eligible at 2nd base) Posted Image

Speaking of happy pickups and the Royals, how about that Runelvys Hernandez? Not only is he pitching like Pedro, but he's got one of the best baseball names I've ever heard. I suspect that the Royals will be unable to resist over-working him and Affeldt though, and wreck both of their careers prematurely.

Speaking of Pedro, what the hell is the matter with the Red Sox bullpen? Do they need to move Wakefield back out of the rotation (not that he's been any gem this year either)?

Yes, the Brewers suck ever harder than before--the only question is whether they will lose 100 games before the All-Star Break. Posted Image

#14 of 43 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,831 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:46 AM

Poor Pedro, 15 innings, 1 run, no decisions.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#15 of 43 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
1. Where is Garland?

Quote:
2. If it is a WOO reference I am moving.

LOL, Garland, where I live is just a speck of a town. Basically there's nothing there anymore. I live about an hour and a half from Kansas City.

#16 of 43 OFFLINE   Eric_E

Eric_E

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 04:36 AM

I'm from Kansas City, and support for the Royals has been at an all-time low in recent years - people have been severely pissed at the way management dealt away Jermaine Dye and Johnny Damon. But yes, if the Royals keep playing the way they have been, we are going to see a whole lot of fair weather fans this year. Just like those damn St. Louis Rams - people couldn't care less, and then as soon as they start winning... it's disgusting.

That having been said, I'm not a big baseball fan and not a big Royals fan, but it is good to see them off to a good start this season.

#17 of 43 OFFLINE   PeteyG

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
There is one constant in the base ball universe. Armando Benitez still sucks. Blows another game i was at. He is 0-15 when im at a game he comes into

Joey - from 1 Met fan to another - STOP GOING TO GAMES~~Posted Image

I was amazed to see a stat the other day that he has the highest save % in both leagues over the past 3 years (although he still can't close the door in a big spot!) This year I get a double-whammy every time he blows a save b/c he kills me as a Mets fan, and kills my Fantasy Team! Posted Image

How about Cone's performance on Friday night - not bad for a 40 year old!

Other Non-Mets related sightings from Opening week:
Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling - 0 wins
Maddux gets rocked in 2 starts
Boston's closer by committee - shows you stats on paper do not equate to performance on the field
RUNELVYS!!! Gotta love that name!

How many are in Fantasy Leagues this year?

Pete
"If we weren't all crazy, we'd all go insane."

#18 of 43 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Pedro, what the hell is the matter with the Red Sox bullpen? Do they need to move Wakefield back out of the rotation (not that he's been any gem this year either)?
No way to tell if there's anything wrong just a week in. I'm starting to get alarmed about Mendoza perhaps having nothing left, but I took enough statistics and probability classes in school to feel very uncomfortable with such a small sample size.

One thing that was neat to see during the first week is that the Devil Rays may actually have some fans coming out of the woodwork. Last week was the first time I saw Rays/Sox games where cheering could be heard for the home team.

(Of course, it's still pretty clear that a lot of Tampa Bay-area people are transplanted northerners who consider themselves Yankees or Red Sox fans first, but at least it's not embarassingly one-sided any more)

EDIT:
Quote:
Boston's closer by committee - shows you stats on paper do not equate to performance on the field
Again, small sample size. And I think a lot of Red Sox fans could tell you about absolutely terrifying saves by the likes of Heathcliff Slocumb and Ugueth Urbina. Heck, if there's a more misleading, useless stat than "Saves", I'd like to hear it.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#19 of 43 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:26 AM

Jon, Mark,

The Brewers will heat-up this year. I'm not in denial.

Ah, the nay-sayers regroup after six games.

I'll be bringing this thread back to life in while guys. And if for some reason, I'm wrong - I would expect the same from you.

There will be plenty of room on the bandwagon at that time.Posted Image

#20 of 43 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:56 AM

Hope you're right, Scott. I've been miffed with Brewers management ever since they hauled in a mountain of cash with the new stadium and spent a grand total of Nothing on players, instead putting it into "debt service." Dismal attendance (no sellout on OPENING DAY?) is the natural result--hard to get fans to get very excited about debt service.

And I can't say I'm any too hopeful about the new management either....the highlight of their offseason--essentially swapping Jose Hernandez for Wes Helms--doesn't exactly get my fan juices flowing. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. At least the future looks promising for 3 or 4 years down the road; there are finally a bunch of good-looking Brewers prospects on the way. Now if they can just manage not to have career-ending injuries.....

I hear what you're saying about sample size, Jason. But the stats we've got are all we have to work with so far. Things have to get better for the Sox bullpen, right? Right? Serves me right for taking 3/5 of the Red Sox rotation on my team (Pedro, Wakefield and --urk--Burkett), I guess. We'll wait and see....our league rules don't permit any roster changes for 6 weeks anyway, so there's nothing to do but wait. Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow