Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

To PS2 or not to PS2.

PlayStation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 07:28 AM

I've been debating on to whether or not i should get a playstation 2 or not. I'm mainly a computer game player, but i really dont wanna miss all the cool games on the ps2. Im an avid RPG fan and I know the ps2 has all the titles I want, (final fantasy, etc.) but is it worth shelling out the $200 (college student so not loaded on cash)? I know the new consoles are comin out in the next couple years or so as well. Are there any other RPGers out there who would advise getting the ps2? Most likely it would be mostly used for single player games.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,161 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 09:13 AM

I suggest waiting until you have more money and free time. Rumor has it that all consoles will drop in price around E3 next month, so you might want to wait and see. And besides, it and the games are only getting cheaper.

And I've been loving mine, so I recommend getting it. It's got a bunch of great exclusive titles.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 10:01 AM

I picked up a PS2 last summer. I'm not a big gamer either, and I think I've turned the thing on once in 5 months.
Save your money for something else Posted Image

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 10:15 AM

I've had one for a while, but mostly play older games on it- my most-played games are Namco Museum (Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man!), Space Invaders (after you play through the newfangled updated version once, you get to play the original 1978 arcade version), a few pinball games, and Pipe Dreams 3-D. Just got the Activision Anthology disc which has all the games Activison made for the Atari 2600, looking the same as they looked on that system. I was obsessed with video games 20 years ago but I just can't get into the newer stuff these days.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 11:56 AM

The only knock against the PS2 would arguably be that it has less powerful hardware than the Xbox or GameCube. I say, who cares? You have the deepest selection of games to choose from, particularly in your area of interest. I couldn't care less for RPGs, and I get plenty of gameplay from it, and I have Xbox, GameCube and Dreamcast as well. Come to think of it, if you're strapped for cash, get the DC. It's cheap and has a ton of great inexpensive games (Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II and Phantasy Star Online are great RPGs on DC).

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 01:24 PM

Noah- I just bought a PS2 a few months back, and haven't regretted it at all. You can easily find them for $150 or less used w/ an extra controller.

I almost got an Xbox, but I'm real happy with the PS2 for the same reasons that Allen mentioned. GTA:Vice City would have been enough. If Rockstar Games ever releases their premiere titles onto XBox before PS2, Sony is going to have a real bad day.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 02:28 PM

Do what I am doing... wait till 2005 when PS3 comes out. There are going to be about 25 million of these puppies on eBAY for CHEAP. Posted Image

Good things come to those who wait Posted Image

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,161 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 12:00 AM

Quote:
Do what I am doing... wait till 2005 when PS3 comes out
It's going to come out in 2006 at the earliest. They need to test out the CELL technology and actually use it in something before they stick it in a videogame console.

I have about 20 games for PS2, and all but 2 or 3 are really good or amazing. There are a lot of RPGs, plus all of those PSX games (there are TONS of RPGs for PSX).

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:47 AM

Even if PS3 comes out in 2005, hello thats still 2 years away, why put off gaming until then?

life is meant to be lived, buy a console if you have the time to play it and the money to buy it and enjoy.

PS2 is definitely the ebst choice for RPG's

though if you are looking for online gaming id say X-box or PC.
Cheers

John

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:30 AM

I have all three consoles and have come veeeeery close to selling my PS2 at least 10 times since Christmas. For me, the GameCube and XBox are much better alternatives, but for your purposes, the PS2 might work best. I have found that if a game is multi-platform, the PS2 version is generally the weakest. But for RPGs, the PS2 is certainly the way to go (especially with all the PS1 titles available for next to nothing).

If it wasn't for Dark Cloud 2, my PS2 would not have been turned on since I played NCAA Football 2003 back in November (would have bought it for XBox, but didn't get that console until Christmas).

If you are interested, you can find some sweet deals on eBay. Just keep an eye out.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 09:22 AM

Noah:

I think you should go ahead and buy it. It's a great system with a TON of great games, plus it can play DVDs (though not as well as standalone units), CDs, and any PSOne games (like the soon-to-be-released Final Fantasy 1&2 set) you might have. I can't think of anything better for a dorm room.

I WOULD wait until E3 to buy it though. My hunch is that there will be a price drop (I'd say 66% chance) around the time of E3 for all 3 systems. Microsoft and Nintendo are already packing games in with their systems, so I think it's only a matter of time before the price comes down.

As for waiting for the new systems -- anything new would likely be at least 2 years away. There's plenty of good gaming to be had between now and then, so I wouldn't hold off THAT long. I WOULD try to be patient enough to wait for E3, though, because the price will likely come down by $25 or $50 by then. Posted Image

If you're planning to hook your PS2 up to a home theater, be sure to buy the appropriate cables to go with it. The extra bucks you pay make it well worth it if your home theater is up to snuff.

Hope that helps! Posted Image
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 10:09 AM

Brian, embedded referral links ain't allowed!
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 10:11 AM

A PS2 is a no-brainer if you are an RPG gamer, especially if you don't have a PS1. It is definitely the way to go for RPGs. 90% of PC RPGs that come out nowadays are MMORPGs. I am like quite a few RPG'ers in that I avoid MMORPGs like the plague. I need story and character development, not hack n' slash (most of the time Posted Image )
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:07 PM

OOO... I found a good deal that I am probably going to jump on...

Preowned PS1 w/ Final Fantasy VII for $29.99

sounds good to me for what I want to do (uhhh... Final Fantasy and other RPGs Posted Image )

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:13 PM

Oh... and here's the icing on the cake...
FREE SHIPPING Posted Image

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 01:20 AM

BrianB:

Sorries, old habit.

Link changed! Posted Image
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page