What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/8 (and 4/11 for Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets!) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
...I dedicate this Roundup to the memory of Sir Richard St. John Harris, 1930-2002.

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

So...let's start with that boy from Privet Drive, shall we? Keep in mind that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Widescreen Edition is a Friday, April 11th release, so some stores may not promote it until the end of the week, or even next week.

Here is what we've got, alphabetical order on the left, and low-to-high prices on the right:

[c]
Retail__Price_____Retail__Price
Amazon_$17.86_____WalMart$14.24
BestBuy$15.99_____CrcCity$14.99
Borders$26.99_____Frys___$14.99
CompUSA$_"HP"_____Target_$14.99
CostCo_$18.99_____BestBuy$15.99
CrcCity$14.99_____SamsClb$17.02
Frys___$14.99_____Amazon_$17.86
K-Mart_$_N/A______CostCo_$18.99
SamsClb$17.02_____Borders$26.99
Target_$14.99_____CompUSA$_"HP"
ToysRUs$_N/A______K-Mart_$_N/A_
WalMart$14.24_____ToysRUs$_N/A_
[/c]

* BE CAREFUL! Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* "Fry's is weighing in this morning (Sunday, 6-April) in their Los Angeles Times ad at $13.99", according to Lee Bombard of Burbank, CA. Thanks, Lee. But Matthew Chmiel points out that this price is for Friday only. So I used the $14.99 price in the list above because, in addition to the one-day-only thing, I looked at Outpost.com and there they show $14.99. This might only apply to L.A., or to select stores, so I'm listing $14.99 as the "main" price.

* Target's $14.99 price is supplemented by an on-the-box coupon good for a free 2-Liter bottle of Coca-Cola (no other Coke products named; just "The Real Thing") when purchased at the same time.

* Best Buy's $15.99 price is supplemented by this deal that When you buy Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets you may buy on the same transaction any one of these titles for $7.99 (pick one; in-store only):
· The Goonies
· Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
· The Wizard Of Oz

Note that Best Buy's price could vary by $1 either way in some stores. Most will have it for $15.99, though.

* Toys R Us mentions Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on the cover of their Pre-Easter Sale flyer, but I can't find a price. I imagine that the $19.99 stated in a previous thread is the right ballpark...but anyone who got the $12.99 pre-order from them got the best deal, from what I can see.

* CompUSA (who had the winning price last year with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at under ten dollars) is careful just to say "Hot Price" this time. No idea what that price will be. But it might be cheap, as this is splashed all over most of a page in their flyer. On the other hand, I sincerely doubt that this time will be as low. I hope I'm wrong, though.

* Borders', uh, price can be reduced by 10% by this coupon from the L.A. Times...newspapers in some cities (like New York) apparently carry the same coupon for 15% off instead. Your Mileage May Vary! :D

* K-Mart is an odd sort, with sale prices on television units showing Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the screen-picture of the TVs, but no ad for the video itself! Whatever...

* The Wal-Mart price you see is what I expect *MY* store's local price to be, based on their price-match formula (Target and/or Circuit City sale prices, minus 5%)...each Wal-Mart varies. Experience proves that this is the ballpark most folks will see it in; it may even be lower at your Wal-Mart store. YMMV; no guarantees!

Okay, here's the rest of the Weekly Roundup:

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
Citizen Ruth______________$17.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Farscape 3.1 (2-Disc Set)_$29.99__$26.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Four Days In September____$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Hit Me____________________$18.74__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Life With Mikey___________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Marrying Man__________$ 9.99__$ 7.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
MST3K Collection #3_______$44.96__$45.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Scenes From A Mall________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Stella____________________$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Example: For Da Love Of Money, New York Stories.

* There aren't any specials going on besides those above for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Aside from Friday's madness, and a couple-three decent titles on Tuesday (depending on your tastes), this is a super-slow week.

*While we have time to think about future deals, anyone know what the best deal's gonna be on the hardcover for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Everyone seems to be pre-selling it for about $17.99...think there will be a better price than that? It's already decent considering the $29.99 S.R.P...but lower is better. ;)

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• IMAX: T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous $19.98 $14.98

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD (there may be some duplication of above, but read through it anyway):
EFFECTIVE 4.08.03
Buena Vista - The Defender, Newsies, Teaching Mrs. Tingle, Fist of Legend Jackie Chan’s Project A, Operation Condor, Supercop 2, Twin Dragons, Twin Warriors, Purple Noon, The Wings of the Dove, Wide Awake, Sweet Revenge, City on Fire, Best of the Best (dbl. Feature), Georgia 19.99

The latest markdowns according to misc. other sources. I haven't verified these, so take them with a grain of salt, please...some of these may not belong on this list (New SRP/DVD Title):
$14.99Cradle Will Rock
$14.99Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
$14.99Grosse Pointe Blank
$19.99Hi Fidelity

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Good gosh, 10 bucks cheaper to buy the MST3K boxes online. I like instant gratification, but....

I miss Best Buy's release week pricing of a year ago.

Martin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks much for the Roundup Dave!

Great work as always. :)

Looks like nothing new for me this week, so I can finally catch up with a few of the ones that I have missed out on recently.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
As of now, I'm either deciding between Wal-Mart or Best Buy for CoS. Wal-Mart is like a 3 mile drive, Best Buy like 6 when taking the freeway :) and they have Wonka (hopefully WS) and Oz for only $8 more.

But then again, I need to save up for 4/15 (which is going to be hell on my wallet), so Wal-Mart is probably my best bet. :)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Nothing for me this week, maybe even for the rest of this month. May appears to be very expensive, though.

Thanks anyway. :)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
www.dvdpricesearch.com is still listing Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for $12.99 at Toys R Us on its front page. I can't find a sales circular for it though to confirm. However, I don't think dvdpricesearch would put it on the website without verification first.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Only thing for me this week is Harry Potter & I already got it. Found it at one of my "special" places in NYC on Friday night on my way back from Philadelphia. :D :D :D $20 bucks.

Joe

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Looks like I'm gonna have to be at my TRU when they open on Friday to make sure I get my WS copy of HP that day. Just in case they don't have too many, even though it is what I ordered.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What's up with all the Friday releases? It probably makes a certain amount of sense from a retailing/pricing POV, but it just seems odd after they've spent years making Tuesday "new release" day.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
West Los Angeles L.A. Times Sunday Sports page - I can confirm the Frys ad for Friday only $13.99 for Potter. Now I just have to decide if I want either The Goonies or The Wizard of Oz deal at BB or if I just have them pricematch Frys...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.