What's new

Progressive Scan DVD player (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I own a Panasonic DVD-RP56 that I use for my Panasonic PT61HX40 61" HDTV. I am running monster video 2 component cable from DVD to reciever, reciever to TV. The only problem is, the picture is not as clear as I would like, especially from a progressive scan player. It seems that my previous RV-65 gave a better picture as a interlaced player running S-video.
Anyway, I am selling the RP56 (any one interested?) and looking for a new player. I have heard that JVC's XV-D723GD and XV-S60 give amazingly clear pictures and I would assume that their XV-S65GD would be similar. I know that Toshiba is releasing their new SD5700 soon and should hit our shores sometime in the very near future, but I havent seen any reviews for it.
So, what I am asking is, what player would you all recommend that is listed at a reasonable price?
Thanks, from the new guy!

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Try circumventing the receiver and see if that helps the picture. I don't know what kind of receiver you are using, but some have allow distortion to enter the video signal.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I've got a RP56 that I'll be returning (it really has a problem) But I really don't notice much of a difference than my interlaced player on my tosh tw56x81. The tv does a fine job of deinterlacing (or whatever it does...)
I'll rethink the progressive player when the new Tosh's come out. Although I can't see any difference between the 4700 and the 5700, cept the case color.

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
The differences I can see between the two (4700/5700) are the following:
SD5700 Has
1. HDCD® Precision Filtering and Decoding
2. Picture Capture
3. Silver color
Picture Capture I don't know what it is. Otherwise (according to the Toshiba site) these units are identicle down to the dimensions and weight.
Just talked to Toshiba, Picture Capture is the ability to still frame some video for the purpose of adjusting settings based on that still frame.
Seems like some pretty weak stuff for 35% premium to me.
[Edited last by Brian Treinen on October 12, 2001 at 03:18 PM]

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
What is circumventing your reciever? I have a RX-V1000, so how would I go about doing this?
Any way, I like the way these Toshiba's look, so Ill do a bit more research on them. DVD-A is not a big deal to me so that is just a bonus on the SD5700 but I want a really really good picture.
In any case, other suggestions are welcome.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I think 'circumventing the receiver' means hook your DVD player DIRECTLY to your TV - and NOT go through the receiver.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I get what you are saying. I know that you should get a better signal connecting component to component and keep the reciever out of the loop, but does it really degrade the video quality that much? Or would it be just my reciever? So far I have been very pleased with the Yamaha RX-V100 so I am hoping that it dosent let me down here. Im just rambling and hoping that this is just the player so a new one will cure my problem.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Andy, I think Dave and Wolf are right, it's at least worth a shot connecting the DVD player component output *directly* to the TV, to see if it makes a difference. The receiver may or may not be an issue. Some apparently don't or can't pass progressive video through well.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
cool, ill give it a shot then. Just for reference, I have monster video 2 component video cables. I know they are not the best by any means, but are they decent? I got them soely off their name.

PaulKH

Second Unit
andy, cables should be fine. Two other things to consider... what material (DVD) are you playing to test things out?
Also, are you sure the DVD player is IN progressive mode? I think there's a switch on that player.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, i have it in progressive mode. And I am just using some dvds that I have. Some that are decoded well, and some that are not. Just comparing to what i remember with my old player and my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks