What's new

I messed up my H/K DVD-50. Is it worth getting it fixed or should I get a new player (1 Viewer)

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to move my DVD player with a bunch of disks still in it, it got jammed up, I had to take the case off to get them out. Somehow I managed to get the try out of sync and now it is hitting the lazer assembly.

So, my question. Can anyone confirm if this is something that would be rather cheap and easy to have fixed?

If not, can anyone tell me about the Harman Kardon DVD 101 and DVD 25? I have been on the HK website and looked at the specs on those two models, but the specs on their site are identical... There has to be some difference between them right? If so what are they. Are either of these to players as good as the DVD-50?

I appreciate any help and responses.:)

It will likely be fairly reasonable to fix provided that the tray did not damage the laser when it hit it. It sounds like just the tray needs to be retimed. I just had this done to my 5 disc audio player, it wasnt very expensive..

Regards

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
It's good to find out that getting your DVD player fixed was not too expensive, however, I am not certian that the lazer assembly was not damaged. I know that the tray certianly was bumping up against it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have your DVD player fixed?

Thanks
Rick

My unit had more wrong with it as it was blown microchips that had caused my tray to go screwy, not loose discs. I believe the retiming was about an hour of labour, if that. Not too bad, considering the cost of the machine to replace. In your case, they would know exactly what was wrong and wouldn't need to troubleshoot the unit to figure out which chips had caused the problem. It is the troubleshooting that takes the majority of the time in a labour charge. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely get it fixed if that was the only problem.

Regards

Josey M

Agent
Hi Rick,
I also have the HK DVD 50,
I was wondering if you tried their Firmware update which is free at the HK website. If so, have you noticed any difference in the performance of the player good or bad.
I recieved my firmware friday and installed it but no change was noticed and the directions say a one time use only.
Sorry I am not trying to steal your thunder on your question. I just thought I would ask this here in case anybody else has the HK DVD 50 and maybe they can shed some light for me too.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Josey, what problems are you having exactly? The first firmware upgrade might have fixed some problems, but the big ones I was experiencing were still there - the skipping and stuttering and pixelization. The second firmware upgrade was released soon after that, when they realized the first one didn't work. The second one fixed all those obvious problems for me. But its still a flaky unit. Occasionally, by pushing various buttons at different times, you can lock up the unit and need to pull the plug to reset it. Also, occasionally I get no digital sound from the unit and have to shut it off and restart for it to come through. These problems, coupled with my horrible experience with HK customer service has ensured that this will be my last HK product. But I would make sure you have the latest firmware, then start complaining to HK.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Josey, no I have not gotten any firmware upgrade. I didn't even know there was one. i will check into it though.

Timon, sorry to hear about your issues. I have not had any problems at all with this player other than me screwing it up. I hope I don't have them either.

As far as customer service, I have always had great customer service from them. :b

I ran the unit for a few days before the firmware arrived and I too had dropouts on the digital audio as well as other flakiness during that time. I applied the firmware and it has worked perfectly since. I believe they are on the third firmware update (don't quote me on this). If you haven't upgraded your firmware for some time, you may want to check with HK to see if there is something more recent.

I am actually really impressed with this machine since the firmware upgrade and use it quite a bit for both CD and DVD. Oh, and I have never had mine lock up.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks