What's new

Don't forget Daylight Savings! (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I HATE losing an hour's sleep. :angry: Last October, I was in Vegas when we had the time shift and I got an "extra" hour's worth of vacation. :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Nooooo! And I just stayed up until 4 AM (5 AM!) watching movies on my HT1000.

Ahhhhhhhh!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I HATE Daylight Savings time- didn't even know it was this weekend til I woke up this morning (or afternoon more accurately!) Why can't they just keep the time the same all year round- it still stays light outside during summer anyways!

LewB

Screenwriter
A snow storm is predicted for these parts for tomorrow. They claim that it will leave 5-9 inches of snow !!:angry: :angry:
I used to associate daylight savings time with summer :confused:

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
In the winter, the afternoon Daylight Saving Time advantage is offset by the morning's need for more lighting. In spring and fall, the advantage is less than one hour. So, Daylight Saving Time saves energy for lighting in all seasons of the year except for the four darkest months of winter (November, December, January and February) when the afternoon advantage is offset by the need for lighting because of late sunrise.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Plus it is proven that it saves electricity in the U.S. because people use less lights
I guess that's a good reason, but I still think it's assinine.

Quit playing God and live life the way it's meant to be lived! Daylight Savings just pisses me off to no end. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Quit playing God and live life the way it's meant to be lived? God didn't invent the clock.

What is "life the way it's meant to be lived"? Seems to me that we are meant to wake up at sunrise and go to sleep at sunset. But the times of sunrise and sunset change with the seasons and don't happen exactly like clockwork. Don't you think it's a good idea to adjust our clocks every now and then so that we don't wake up two hours after sunrise? Or must we always be slaves to the infallible Almighty Clock?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Greg, sorry, but your theory won't hold s***. If what you say is true, then if you divided the number of days for DST in half, that date should be on the longest day of the year, but it isn't even close.

This isn't against you, but there isn't any explanation for this except to say that someone in DC can't add/subtract, etc, but we won't go there.

Glenn

James T

Screenwriter
If people are complaining about DST, just set up a farm somewhere in Manitoba. They don't have to deal with DST because it screws up the timeset for all their animals.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Glenn...

First of all, no offense taken at all. I agree with you to an extent (obviously since you're correct), but here's my thoughts about governments reasoning, it isn't the longest day of the year that they are concerned about, but when it actually gets dark out. And I know it gets dark later in July then it does in June, so maybe that's their where it comes from... if you take the middle of DST, maybe that's near the day it gets dark out the latest. After the beginning of summer, in the middle of June, the sun starts to rise later, but it still sets later too. This is strictly a guess though, which could be wrong... the U.S. could do it for another reason. Other countries do it at different times too, so we all have our reasons I guess. I believe the European Union just came up with a DST method for all that are involved in it, so that should be a bed of complaints. And FYI, the only major industrialized country that doesn't do DST is Japan.

Every year I do some research on this topic whenever it comes along because I always forget the stuff I read. HowStuffWorks.com used to have a better article about it, now they actually give you a short answer, and a link to the first link I gave you.

Although some people seem angry in this thread about it, I've read about others getting much more upset over it. And I don't see what the big deal is. The first link mentions how pissed off people were when the U.S. tried to standardize time. The people in Detroit actually refused to go by their "Time Zone," and had a "Detroit Time" for a few years before they eventually gave in. All this stuff just reminds us all that time-telling is a man-made thing, which can be fixed to our liking... And if you don't like it and want to live in the U.S., you can either move to Eastern Indiana, Hawaii, or Arizona. ;) (I learned that from setting my time zone in Windows programs)

And to think, this all came from a friendly reminder! lol

Greg.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Don't you think it's a good idea to adjust our clocks every now and then so that we don't wake up two hours after sunrise? Or must we always be slaves to the infallible Almighty Clock?
But this theory only works for certain people. If you worked the night shift and woke up at noon, do you think the hour would REALLY matter? Or what about people who don't work? Do unemployed people really care that there's no sun at 7am? Or what about part-time people that work from Noon - 4pm, does DST make a difference to them?

It seems like DST is meant to please the 9-5 work week, so why not re-adjust work hours? :D

People argue "It's only an hour", but most people don't realize how much our bodies get screwed up over that hour...Ever heard of Jet Lag? It's quite tough to readjust to a simple thing like an hour change. I'd just assume get rid of the whole system. I can live with the fact that it's dark out at 7am...No biggie.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
how can I forget DST. I worked until 8pm on saturday, and had to go back in sunday morning and work from 4am to 8am to cover for DST problems. No sleep for me :frowning:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here's the crude math, for anyone that wants it and hasn't done it yet. This year, DST started on the 13th, so I'll add up 17 days for the rest of April, 30 in May and 21 in June to get to the day that we have equal days and nights - 12 hours each. 17 + 30 + 21= 68 days.

The other half would be the remaining 9 days in June and 31 in July. That comes to 40, and only leaves 28 to total 68 again, and thus it should end on Aug. 28th.

If it was off by a week or two I wouldn't mind, but it is closer to 2 months. I think it just makes us look dumber and dumber every year that we don't fix it.

I think that more than anything else it would benefit the kids going to and from school. I'd prefer to have them do that when it is light outside.

There is also a greater benefit to places closer to the North Pole due to the greater fluctuation of the Earth, but we all know that!

Glenn

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Well, I suppose you and I will have to agree to disagree, Glenn. I fully understand your rationale though, but instead of looking at it that way, why not look at it like this... Why do we even bother changing back to Standard Time at all if we benefit so much from DST? I think the answer will appear to you on October 25th when we're still using DST, and it's not completely sunny out at 7:30a.m. That's the only reason why I think we go back to standard time at all, because it becomes illogical for us to keep using DST if we're waking up in the morning and using the lights, and when we're leaving the house in a twilight hour. DST loses it's energy saving, and safety benefits in the winter time, so we abandon it until they become useful again. This just happens to be early spring, which I agree with, it was after 7:30 before I turned on any lights last night.

But by the end of October, it gets to a point where I'm wanting to go back to EST because it's dark out when I leave for work, and it's dark out when I get out, so where's the benefit? (plus I supposedly get an extra hours sleep or staying up, depending on how you look at it.. :) ) At least by switching back to standard time, I can see the sun in the morning.

And depending on how old anyone reading this is, you might remember that Congress put the U.S. on an "extended year round DST" in 1973 & 1974 due to the oil crisis. And a main reason why the stopped that in '75 was because of farming states complaining. The fact that they did this for 2 years should just prove why we only use this for a convenience and nothing more. Me being born in '79 wouldn't remember this, but I do recall reading about it last year and found the article again this year.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Yea, this is a really odd thing. You have this hour, which you lose in the spring. Then it's gone, all the way through the summer, and then you get it back in the fall.

Where the hell is that hour in the meantime??? :)

--Anders

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Here's my (irrational) thoughts on DST:

1. If it's meant to save electricity by extending evening daylight hours, we need it *more* in the winter than the summer. Just as the days are getting shorter and the sun is setting around 6 PM, we change BACK to standard time and then I'm driving home from work in the dark until March or so. I say if we are going to do away with the time change, keep it on DST year round.

2. While there's nothing wrong with gaining an hour of sleep in the fall, how about putting the spring forward time change at say, 2 in the afternoon on a weekday? That way instead of losing an hour of sleep, we get a shorter work day once a year.

Anders: that hour goes where one sock in every laundry load goes. Unlike the socks though, we get it back in the fall. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks