What's new

upgraditis from marantz 8200...any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
HI all....I currently use a marnatz 8200..great piece, but I have a few bucks to burn and want to put it into my system. What should I look at in the 3k range (I use it mostly for HT) I know rotel, outlaw etc are out there...if anyone has a thought or two drop it, so I can investigate:) btw...I use digm studio 40's/20's/ studio CC. thanks all! tl

JaleelK

Second Unit
HI all....I currently use a marnatz 8200..great piece, but I have a few bucks to burn and want to put it into my system. What should I look at in the 3k range (I use it mostly for HT) I know rotel, outlaw etc are out there...if anyone has a thought or two drop it, so I can investigate btw...I use digm studio 40's/20's/ studio CC. thanks all! tl
You are suffering from a case of "Affluenza" what you call upgraditis. My suggestion for you would be to cure yourself of this pathology before it causes you to go into debt.

There is nothing wrong with what you already have, 3k is nothing going to get bang for the upgrade. Unless you have a 19 inch TV and purchasing a large HDTV set or front projector, save your money, put in the bank, these are tough economic times.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
hear hear.

buy some more DVDs to enjoy on your system (I also have an SR8200, and will sit pat on that for quite a while).

on the other hand, you might want to look over other parts of the system, e.g. do you have a universal player yet? that is the next item on my "upgrade" list, but once I get that I suspect nothing more will change for at least two years, until plasmas really drop in price and improve in picture quality.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
You have a great receiver there in the 8200. If you really want to upgrade then add 3 Marantz Monoblocks to power the front should stage. That should tide you over and open up your Paradigms.

Kevin

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I'm with Yee-Ming and JaleelK. The 8200 is about the lowest thing on my upgrade priority list right now. There seem to be more and more threads about hiss, hum, and serious QC issues with new receivers and pre/pros (even the X300 series of Marantz). I'm glad to have a dependable workhorse. Besides, I'm still trying to warm the wife up to new speakers one of these days.

Chris

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't mention a subwoofer... I'm going to assume you have a good one. If not... you could put some money there.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
thank for the info guys...maybe I'll look into a good cd player, and dvd player(rp56 right now)...waiting on the denon 2900...

Craig, yes, I am awaiting the arrival of my SVS B4+ :)

thanks guys... helps having some down to earth ideas:) tom

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would consider an external amplifier. In most all cases it improves the sound plus that allows you to replace just the preamp later because you probably won't need to upgrade your amp for a long time.

Maybe your local dealer has one you try and bring home.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I just added a Linn Genki CD player to my Marantz SR-18 based system... I must say, a good CD player made a HUGE difference... more than I ever imagined was possible (I fall into the skeptic side of all things audio... until I hear it for myself).

If music is important to you, I'd definitely consider a CD player.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Monoblocks with the SR-8200 would be the way to go. Do you have a HDTV yet? 3K will get you a pretty nice setup.

Pete

TommyL

Supporting Actor
pete, yes, I have a mitsu 55" hdtv and use a zenith dtv 1080i receiver...can't miss HD-NET ya know:) man decisions....I'm thinking parasound 2205...at least giving it a listen...wish someone I knew had one:) its a bit more than I need right now, but ya never know...is there some kind of lock on that baby so someone doesn't walk by and crank the thing to full boar..and blow my digms?? that's my only worry:) thanks all...you have so many good opinions..I'm sure I'll use one! more are welcome! tom

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Tommy,

Forum member James Elvick (~ 200 reviews on ebay), just listed his parasound 2003A (700) and 2205a (1300) for sale on audiogon.

2003A is also a GREAT way for someone to add three very good amp channels for the front 3 speakers. ANY 2 channel parasound(s) would work for rear and rear centers (later). I think the 2003A will go very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks