Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

upgraditis from marantz 8200...any thoughts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 TommyL

TommyL

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 02:14 AM

HI all....I currently use a marnatz 8200..great piece, but I have a few bucks to burn and want to put it into my system. What should I look at in the 3k range (I use it mostly for HT) I know rotel, outlaw etc are out there...if anyone has a thought or two drop it, so I can investigatePosted Image btw...I use digm studio 40's/20's/ studio CC. thanks all! tl

#2 of 12 JaleelK

JaleelK

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
HI all....I currently use a marnatz 8200..great piece, but I have a few bucks to burn and want to put it into my system. What should I look at in the 3k range (I use it mostly for HT) I know rotel, outlaw etc are out there...if anyone has a thought or two drop it, so I can investigate btw...I use digm studio 40's/20's/ studio CC. thanks all! tl

You are suffering from a case of "Affluenza" what you call upgraditis. My suggestion for you would be to cure yourself of this pathology before it causes you to go into debt.

There is nothing wrong with what you already have, 3k is nothing going to get bang for the upgrade. Unless you have a 19 inch TV and purchasing a large HDTV set or front projector, save your money, put in the bank, these are tough economic times.

#3 of 12 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 04:59 PM

hear hear.

buy some more DVDs to enjoy on your system (I also have an SR8200, and will sit pat on that for quite a while).

on the other hand, you might want to look over other parts of the system, e.g. do you have a universal player yet? that is the next item on my "upgrade" list, but once I get that I suspect nothing more will change for at least two years, until plasmas really drop in price and improve in picture quality.

#4 of 12 Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 01:14 AM

You have a great receiver there in the 8200. If you really want to upgrade then add 3 Marantz Monoblocks to power the front should stage. That should tide you over and open up your Paradigms.

Kevin

#5 of 12 ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon

Second Unit

• 307 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 04:03 AM

I'm with Yee-Ming and JaleelK. The 8200 is about the lowest thing on my upgrade priority list right now. There seem to be more and more threads about hiss, hum, and serious QC issues with new receivers and pre/pros (even the X300 series of Marantz). I'm glad to have a dependable workhorse. Besides, I'm still trying to warm the wife up to new speakers one of these days.

Chris

#6 of 12 Craig Morris

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 07:07 AM

You didn't mention a subwoofer... I'm going to assume you have a good one. If not... you could put some money there.

#7 of 12 TommyL

TommyL

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 07:22 AM

thank for the info guys...maybe I'll look into a good cd player, and dvd player(rp56 right now)...waiting on the denon 2900...

Craig, yes, I am awaiting the arrival of my SVS B4+ Posted Image

thanks guys... helps having some down to earth ideasPosted Image tom

#8 of 12 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 07:32 AM

I would consider an external amplifier. In most all cases it improves the sound plus that allows you to replace just the preamp later because you probably won't need to upgrade your amp for a long time.

Maybe your local dealer has one you try and bring home.

#9 of 12 Craig Morris

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 09:29 AM

I just added a Linn Genki CD player to my Marantz SR-18 based system... I must say, a good CD player made a HUGE difference... more than I ever imagined was possible (I fall into the skeptic side of all things audio... until I hear it for myself).

If music is important to you, I'd definitely consider a CD player.

#10 of 12 Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 01:58 PM

Monoblocks with the SR-8200 would be the way to go. Do you have a HDTV yet? 3K will get you a pretty nice setup.

Pete
High Definition baby, yeah!

#11 of 12 TommyL

TommyL

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:17 PM

pete, yes, I have a mitsu 55" hdtv and use a zenith dtv 1080i receiver...can't miss HD-NET ya knowPosted Image man decisions....I'm thinking parasound 2205...at least giving it a listen...wish someone I knew had onePosted Image its a bit more than I need right now, but ya never know...is there some kind of lock on that baby so someone doesn't walk by and crank the thing to full boar..and blow my digms?? that's my only worryPosted Image thanks all...you have so many good opinions..I'm sure I'll use one! more are welcome! tom

#12 of 12 Ricky T

Ricky T

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 12:54 AM

Tommy,

Forum member James Elvick (~ 200 reviews on ebay), just listed his parasound 2003A (700) and 2205a (1300) for sale on audiogon.

2003A is also a GREAT way for someone to add three very good amp channels for the front 3 speakers. ANY 2 channel parasound(s) would work for rear and rear centers (later). I think the 2003A will go very fast.