What's new

Queensryche-Dream Theater tour this summer (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Great line-up this summer: Queensryche, Dream Theater and Fates Warning. They play here in the bay area on the 26th of July, three days after my birthday. I know what I want this year for a gift. :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
That is a great lineup. Do you have a link to tour dates so I can see if they are coming east?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see anything on DT's site yet.

I'm kind of disappointed in the lineup -- Queensryche hasn't put out anything good in years IMHO, and Fates is a notch or two below the others, again IMHO.

I wonder if the setup will be along the lines of last summer, where Kings X opened and then DT/Satriani co-headlined. Maybe Fates Warning will open and DT/Queensryche will switch off. My complaint was that DT was able to play for only 90 minutes.

I'll still go!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Brian, here is the link. They definately say that DT and Queensryche will co-headline.

I agree that Queensryche's newer stuff is inferior to their older material but we all know in a live setting the set list will be made up of 70-80% older material, especially now that Chris Degarmo is back in the band.

REALLY hoping this show hits the east coast.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
I moved to Jersey after being laid off. I just completed a training course in .NET (I'm a software engineer) and plan to re-direct my career in that direction. I'm originally from NY anyway, so it's like moving back home.

Brian,
FWIW, I actually like Queensryche's last album, which is a step up from Hear in the Now Frontier. Before that, I get much more enjoyment from Promised Land than from the pre-Mindcrime material.

As for Fates Warning, their last album was quite good. I don't think they've been able to match the genius of Perfect Symmetry, but the last two are their best work since.

Meanwhile, I think DT hit their creative peak with Scenes From a Memory, and have not taken to Six Degrees as much, despite it having some very strong material.

According to the Dreamtheater web site, Fates will open and DT and Queensryche are co-headlining.

I do agree that 90 minutes is too short for DT, as they are a band that lends itself to presenting a wide array of material with care. However, I've been fortunate enough to see them quite a few times, so I look forward to the mix of the bands.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I probably sounded more down on QR than I really am. I agree with Mike in that Mindcrime is really the earliest stuff I can listen to and I also like various songs on recent albums. The return of Degarmo should help things as well.

I know DT was hoping to open for Rush on their last tour; not only were they fans, but it would have given them a lot more exposure. Maybe they view QR as a step closer to the goal of wider success. (Or maybe QR views DT as a way to get back in the current spotlight.)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I'm surprised some of you are down on pre-Mindcrime material. I personally think that Rage For Order is an outstanding album. I can't wait for the re-release of it next month to hear the 12" version of "Gonna Get Close To You". The Warning as well has some killer tunes.

I hope Queensryche play last, they are by far my favorite of the three. Since they are from Seattle they will probably play last here on the west coast.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god My three favorite metal bands touring together!
Mike -

We must have the exact same taste in music :)
These are also my three favorite metal bands (at least progressive metal bands). This would be a dream show for me, especially with Chris DeGarmo back in the band. If anyone finds a link to tour dates, please post them here!

MikeP

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong- I dig early Queensryche. It's just that it can sound a bit dated sometimes, and has an unintentional comical element. But the same is true for early Fates Warning and metal of that era in general.

Queensryche's Empire+ material just seems more relevant, musically and lyrically.

I didn't even know DeGarmo was back! Is he just touring with them for now or is he a full-fledged member again? If so, what about his replacement- was he kicked out?

They're also planning a re-release of all their albums in May. Sweet!

We must have the exact same taste in music
I guess great minds think alike.
I would only rank Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Metallica on equal footing with these bands in my book.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Mike,

Yeah, all their EMI albums are being re-issued, I would assume remastered, with some really cool bonus tracks.

I grew up with Queensryche, in fact the first concert I ever went to back in 1984 was Kiss with Queensryche opening. That was one of the few concerts that I've been to in which the opening band came out for two encores.

It's funny because I went to get Empire on the day it was released, when I listened to it I was so disappointed. It took forever to grow on me. Even now it is the one I listen to the least, but it is generally considered their best.

As far as Chris goes, I think he has rejoined just for the tour. I guess time will tell if he stays or not. My wife works with the cousin of Michael Wilton and I'm always asking when do I get to meet him.

Anyhoo, should be a great show.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
BTW, there was a note on one of the mailing lists that Zonder isn't going to tour with Fates for "personal reasons".

Jason

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong- I dig early Queensryche. It's just that it can sound a bit dated sometimes, and has an unintentional comical element. But the same is true for early Fates Warning and metal of that era in general.
I think it is inevitable to look back on music from 20 years ago and feel this way, especially metal of that period. There are a lot of mythical themes, and they seemed to take themselves much too seriously. I love Queensryche's EP and The Warning, but I cringe everytime I see footage from the vidoes for songs like Queen of the Reich or Nightrider.

MikeP

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I think Rage for Order is one of QR's best albums. Pre-Rage stuff isn't up to the same standard, IMO.

I've read some pretty nasty comments by members of DT, saying QR should have quit years ago. I'm surprised they're touring together.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I didn't even know DeGarmo was back! Is he just touring with them for now or is he a full-fledged member again?
My buddy is a huge Degarmo fan and said he read that Chris is not only touring with the band, but is having a hand in writing new material. I thought I read somewhere he was a touring member only, but for some reason I trust my buddies information on this one more than mine.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think it was Portnoy who made some negative comments a while back, kind of like, "They were awesome but now they're putting out crap like Q2K."

Mike,

I'm not the most familiar person with FW. Is Perfect Symmetry their best album? I think I've only heard Awaken the Guardian.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Perfect Symmetry is an AWESOME album. I bought it in the late 80's and relished listening to that album. I was brainwashed in college and convinced to sell it now that metal was "passe". One of the worst music decisions I have made. I'm going to have to try to pick up another copy of this one.

I remember when the video for "Through Distant Eyes" hit MTV's Headbangers ball. I was blown away.

"Parallels" is another one of their better ones IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks