What's new

Best bass CD's/ songs for the ultimate test of any speaker system? (1 Viewer)

eskendir

Agent
Best CD's or songs to test base performance of my system? If you list CD's please specify which track/song.
You can also include any song that you believe provides the best overall workout for any speaker system.

Mark gas

Second Unit
Anything from bass mekanik. He's go a new cd that comes with a DVD to really test out your ht.

Pete Austin

Agent
Blue Man Group - "Audio" DVD-Audio DTS
Track 9 - Club Nowhere

If this doesn't expose the rattles in your room nothing will.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Bass Outlaws - Slo mellow bass, and illegal bass.
Razer X "technical difficulties" - track 4 has extremely fast guitar and drums. (Though no vocals)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
You can also include any song that you believe provides the best overall workout for any speaker system.
Most of the suggestions will work your sub just fine. For your entire system, I would get some classical works, some jazz discs, music that test your systems dynamics, clarity, and tonal accuracy. For something more modern you could get The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over...that seems to be a popular one. But ultimately you need to get discs that you will actually listen to. After all, your system is for your enjoyment, not ours. What are some of your musical preferences?

Regards,

Dan Hine

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Artist - Heart
Album - Dog and Butterfly
Track - Mistral Wind

Very, very low Bass.
One of those songs that is virtually unknown but a pleasant surprise.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
I'll echo Dan's comments about listening to your own music as the best test. That said, I'll throw in one of my little known favorites:

The Rapsody Overture - Track 5 - "Prince Igor" with Warren G and Sissel

A great combination of classical music, classical female vocals, male rap vocals, and a bass track. The CD is hard to find as it wasn't released in the States, but you can get it imported for only $15.

I also like the bass on the first track of Alicia Keys' "Songs in A minor".

Of course these are bass track type bass and drum bass can be more fun for trying things out - I can't think of any special recommendations off the top of my head though.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Over at SMR, somewhere there was/is a good size list of (25) high quality deep bass recordings.

A wide varity of music also.

They give the HZ that it drops down to, volume, time, and also disc name. But I have not been to it in almost a year.
I'll see if I can find it (got it stored somewhere) and post a link. Maybe someone else here at HTF knows of it also...?

Deep Dynamic Bass Demo Music

Regards
Geoff

Marc H

Second Unit
Peter Gabriel's 'UP'
Several of the tracks have impressive depths to the bass. Get's complex at times too with about three different things going on in the bass all at once (track 3 - Sky Blue).
That disc is one of my references now.

Marc H

Second Unit
Oh, how could I forget...
Jing Chi, the train song (track nine). That one shakes the ground outside in the backyard!

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
The soundtrack to Moulin Rouge, if you system can play the Roxanne remake loudly (El tango de Roxanne - I think) without making a mess of all the violins and the bass at the end of this track then it is worthy ...

That has to be the single most taxing track I've ever heard for a system, testing everything from vocals, dynamics, higs and lows, everything ...

Try it and let me know ...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Seems like most recommendations we’re getting here are for CDs with either exaggerated bass or extended low end. How ‘bout one that confirms a good blend between the subs and mains? Or one that checks for resolution?

Check out Basia’s London, Warsaw, New York, track five “Ordinary People.” It has a bass line that runs from high notes to low notes. If your system is set up right, all the bass notes should sound like they are the same volume. For instance, if the lowest notes are exaggerated, or if the high notes get “lost,” you have more work to do. :)

For resolution, try “Drunk on Love” from Basia’s The Sweetest Illusion CD, or “Sassy” on Manhattan Transfer’s Offbeat of Avenues CD. In both these tracks the bass should have a subtle “texture” that can easily be obscured by inaccurate or boomy response.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Album: Pomp and Pipes
Label: Reference Recordings
Tracks: All of them, especially 1, 2, 4, & 9

This is a great disc if you like full wind orchestra and organ... (think 16hz pedal tones at full blast)

Rex Quinn

Agent
If you want some heavier stuff, check out the CD "Domination" by Morbid Angel, specifically "Ceaser's Palace". Regular bass dips during the intro (which lasts about 2 minutes). My whole house shakes when I play this CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks