What's new

Thinking of replacing our Infinity BU2 (1 Viewer)

AllenLC

Agent
We have new HT sound. Click above gear icon to view equipment. Our Infinity BU2 is 9 years old. It's not a sloppy unit. Just wondering how long can it last? Has it lost quality so slowly I don't notice? Or is it better with age. It has been played every day since purchase. Are newer, year to date subs that much better?
Has anyone compared the BU2 to others? We want a 12 inch. Input please?

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I have an Infinity BU-1. I know it isn't a BU-2 but I was in the same frame of mind you are in a couple of weeks ago. My buddy let me borrow his DLS-10 "tiny mity" because I had the upgrade bug and was wondering if a new sub would make a difference. To be honest, I could not tell that much of a difference. His did sound slightly better. But considering my sub is now almost 8 years old it sounds just fine. I hope this was some kind of help to you.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Allen

More than likely your sub is fine as long as the surround has not begun to rot or seperate from the cone. Don't know what the Infinity BU-2 used for a surround material, sanoprene, foam or just what.

If your happy with the Infinity subs sound in your system, than thats all that counts.

But, considering the quailty of your speaks and gear, your sub is not quite the quailty of your other gear. Maybe you might want to consider demoing some higher end subs just to get an idea of what a higher quailty sub could do for your system.

Like I said if your currently happy with the sub and systems sound, and the surround and driver is in good shape, than don't worry about it....

Nice new speaks by the way. The D's are quite a good value and many are running them.

Regards
Geoff

AllenLC

Agent
What are some recomendations? I have heard of some BU2's burning up. This has me considering.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I used a BU-2 for 5 years. I replaced it with an SVS 25-31PCi(custome tuned to 22hz) In February 2002. I am so glad I did. The BU-2 was an exellent sub but it can't come close to the richness or depth of the bass reproduction my SVS can do. I had no idea I was missing that much low frequencies. And the bass from the BU-2 was not very localized but bass from the SVS is much less localized. My opinion of these two subs in my comparison.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
I had a BU-2 for six years. Like Daryl L I replaced it with and SVS - the 20-39PCi. Quite honestly it is night and day in sound. The BU 2 sounds boomy and cannot got near the SVS for HT LFE. As important (most?) I really enjoy the kick and match for music.

I looked for subs in the less than $800 range and found some rather good choices that I imagine would work for you as well:

1. Any SVS less than $800. I chose one with an internal amp and at the 20hz low end. These are fairly large tubes and can cause some decorating difficulties. I know little other than good reviews for their box units, but not sure when one arrives in the price range.

2. Any HSU in the price range. I thought the VTF 2 had no competition in its price range (up to $450) - but it also is a little shallow on the very bottom and if your room is large it may (emphasis on may) struggle. The VTF 3 is a good step up and cures both those ills. I can't remember the price on the tubes, but the TN1220 was my favorite of the bunch from HSU.

3. I have heard the Adire (Tempest?) DIY and was extremely pleased. Really good stuff and if you are handy I think you can get it done for less than $500 - that would make it the hands down price/performance champ.

Hope this helps...

AllenLC

Agent
Thank You Gentelmen,
I think I'm going in for a factory second or B-Stock SVS unit. I am selling my last setup of 4 each Infinity Sterling Series SS2001s' with matching center and the BU2. A great starter setup for 350.00.
I have them setup for auditions and a friend listened and was motivated. But has to run it buy the wife.
My Dahlquists' and Onkyos' are new and I am being impulsive and cumpulsive about wanting a better sub that is as new as the rest of my system.
Seen a B-stock unit for 25-31PCi for 329.00. They do not sit there long though.

I'll let you know when I sell and get her in.

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have a BU-2 and one particular thing about it is the mediocre low frequency extension. It tapers off pretty bad at about 30Hz. I'm pretty sure I won't be able get down to even 20Hz, but I'm going to try to boost those lower frequencies with my BFD and see how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks