Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Received My Tumults, but need help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Tom-K

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 04:09 AM

Ok, received my drivers, they were double boxed, and mounted into mdf. My problem is that one of the four mounting screws has been stripped, and I can't get it out. Does anyone have any ideas that I could use. I've waited so long, and now I'm so bummed.

#2 of 7 Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Posted April 05 2003 - 04:34 AM

if you are careful, you can just drill it out.
Just use a metal drill at the head with a bit that is a little bigger than the diameter of the shaft, and smaller than the head. I have done this before and it works perfectly.

Anyther option is to sand the oxide layer off of the stripped screw head (clean surface), and use a metal epoxy to glue a small nutt in place. then just use a socket to remove.

the last option I can think of is to carefully chisle away the MDF on the clear side of the board (which the driver isn't mounted onto). MDF should come up easily in layers. When the final layer is thin"ish", you can just pull the driver (and screw) right throught he MDF.

..any other ideas?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 04:40 AM

try something like this.
or use a drill bit or rotary rasp of large enough size to take the head of the screw off the shaft.
a chisel may work too. the metal of the wood screws used is kinda brittle and with one good hit you could break the head off.
a dremel tool with a grinder bit might work too.
DONT damage the surround. get a helper to hold some masonite or hardboard between the screw and surround so it doesnt get damaged.
why have one when you can have two for twice the price?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 06:21 AM

Go to sears and spend $19.00 on the Screw Outs you will
find them in the craftsman tool section.. Worth thier weight
in gold!
Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Darren_T

Darren_T

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 03:06 AM

If it is just mounted in MDF why don't you just chip it away? MDF is very easy to chip away, once you get close to the screw just lift the driver out and it will crumble away.

Darren

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 03:30 AM

yess i agree with eather the drill foo the screw head it would be the easiest.
there are olny 2 types of people in the world the irish and thoes who want to be irish

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   David-Kraemer

David-Kraemer

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 03:23 AM

If you drill it out be carefull of the metal chips. Use a shop-vac to suck the metal away as you drill.