What's new

Received My Tumults, but need help (1 Viewer)

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, received my drivers, they were double boxed, and mounted into mdf. My problem is that one of the four mounting screws has been stripped, and I can't get it out. Does anyone have any ideas that I could use. I've waited so long, and now I'm so bummed.

A

Anthony_Gomez

if you are careful, you can just drill it out.
Just use a metal drill at the head with a bit that is a little bigger than the diameter of the shaft, and smaller than the head. I have done this before and it works perfectly.

Anyther option is to sand the oxide layer off of the stripped screw head (clean surface), and use a metal epoxy to glue a small nutt in place. then just use a socket to remove.

the last option I can think of is to carefully chisle away the MDF on the clear side of the board (which the driver isn't mounted onto). MDF should come up easily in layers. When the final layer is thin"ish", you can just pull the driver (and screw) right throught he MDF.

..any other ideas?

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
try something like this.
or use a drill bit or rotary rasp of large enough size to take the head of the screw off the shaft.
a chisel may work too. the metal of the wood screws used is kinda brittle and with one good hit you could break the head off.
a dremel tool with a grinder bit might work too.
DONT damage the surround. get a helper to hold some masonite or hardboard between the screw and surround so it doesnt get damaged.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Go to sears and spend $19.00 on the Screw Outs you will
find them in the craftsman tool section.. Worth thier weight
in gold!

Darren_T

Second Unit
If it is just mounted in MDF why don't you just chip it away? MDF is very easy to chip away, once you get close to the screw just lift the driver out and it will crumble away.

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks