Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where to place surrounds?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   George Conti

George Conti

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:21 PM

Should the surrounds be placed in back wall corners, side wall corners or directly behind the seats?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   TommyL

TommyL

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:55 PM

normally the side walls work well set up 2-3 feet above ear level...what kind of speakers? I think most would say ear level or above facing each other works well...tl

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Legairre

Legairre

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 03:11 AM

check this out
http://www.dolby.com...eater.0110.html

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 03:34 AM

Of course the HTF beginner's guide says to only do the side mounting of the surrounds if the speakers are dipole, so that kind of muddles things a bit. When we move into the new house we are renovating, I plan on mounting my monopole surrounds (JBL N24 IIs) 2-3 feet above ear level on the sides, per the Dolby and DTS specifications. I am curious as to how it will sound, as I have always had my surrounds on stands slightly above ear level in the rear.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   George Conti

George Conti

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 02:48 AM

Thanks, I have definitive technology BP2x (bipolar).

With the seating on the back wall would it be advisable to place them close to the corners on the side wall?

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Patrick Taylor

Patrick Taylor

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 10:51 AM

I have my Def Tech BP1.2x in the corners on my back wall with the couch up against the wall. I went out and bought a couple of corner shelving units at Home Depot and the speakers just fit for the most part. The front just hangs over about 1/4 inch or less. My back speakers are white so you don't notice it too much. I like the way the sound moves "around" you along the walls.
I was going to upgrade to the BP2x last year when Tweeter had a used pair on sale but I missed out on them.

PAT