What's new

New Alison Krauss Live SACD....Wonderful!!! (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Just some quick notes on this two disc set. This is another outstanding effort from Rounder. There have been some advance comments on AA about this one not sounding as good as previous Rounder efforts, but I have to disagree. I cannot comment on the 5.1 mix right now because I temporarily only have a two channel setup, but for live recordings, this one is exemplary. Very clean recording. I heard they used 32 different microphones to capture this, and I believe it. Alison's voice sounds perfect, just like the records.

At first I thought the LFE mix was a little bass shy, but that is because 24 of 25 tracks use an acoustic bass, which is a more subtle effect. On "Forget About It", they use an electric bass which is there in full force, trust me. Wow, it really has some impact on that track.

My only complaint is with the Super Jewel Box...two discs pressed together with both on only one side...inexcusable. They could have used the same casing found on the Aerosmith "Oh Yeah" set, but didn't. I wonder why?

My only complaint on this awesome SACD. Rounder is easily my favorite studio when it comes to these releases. I can only hope that the forthcoming Sugar Hill releases of Nickel Creek are as good as these. I know it's a different record company, but Alison produced those efforts so hopefully she will have a say in the SACD fidelity.

If you are fan of great music, SACD, or Alison in particular, go out and do yourself a favor...pick up this release.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Evan, Well put. I am really enjoying this sacd.

My only complaint is with the Super Jewel Box...two discs pressed together with both on only one side...inexcusable. They could have used the same casing found on the Aerosmith "Oh Yeah" set, but didn't. I wonder why?
I agree so I sent an email to superjewelbox.com

Andrew,

A am very frustrated with the super jewel box that I just purchased for Alison Krauss and Union Station "LIVE" SACD. The case was chipped when I opened it and I noticed that the two sacds were placed on top of each other. I would have returned it but it was the only one they had. I am worried about the chance of scratches. I am very careful about my software and use them only at home. These packaging just doesn't add up for me. Any ideas?

Dan Joy

This was the reply;

Hello Dan,

Thank you contacting us with your concerns. First, let me offer to send you a free replacement case for your chipped one. Second, did you know you have the latest design in 2-disc packaging? The 2-disc center hub case you have was designed by engineers to hold both discs securely and without damage. Of course if someone tried to damage them they could, but under normal care and use there should be no damage.

The concept for the 2-disc stacking hub comes from the disc manufacturing industry. Before any disc is put into a package like a Super Jewel Box or any other type of CD or DVD case, the discs are produced and stored (stacked) onto tall spindles holding 100-200 discs per spindle. Also, do you see the 10/25/50 packs of CDR's sold in bulk spindle packaging in retail stores? Same concept.

The reason the stacking method is possible is because every disc manufactured has a raised ring around the center of the disc on the bottom side (for one-sided discs) or both the top and bottom sides (for two-sided discs) to protect the data from scratching caused by stacking. This ring was specifically developed because the manufacturing process includes the stacking of large quantities of discs on spindles before being loaded into their cases.

I know this is technical but I hope you can follow. If you still feel uncomfortable about the case, let us know and we can send you 2 single cases or an older style case with a 2-disc fliptray inside.

Either way, please reply with your address to send the free replacements to.

Best regards,

Andrew Schuurs
Vice President - General Manager
Super Jewel Box USA, Inc.
1537 W. Collins Avenue
Orange, CA 92867
(714) 288-8960 Phone
(714) 288-8967 Fax
[email protected]
www.superjewelbox.com

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm undecided about the two discs on the spindle thang. I haven't listened to the second disc yet either. The first one was very good on first listen. Maybe, in a year and a half or so I'll be firm about the spindle and know if the discs got nicked? Best wishes!

george king

Supporting Actor
Evan,

In a way I don't like you for posting this, as I am desparately waiting for this SACD because I have wornout the CD version. I am currently listening to New Favorite on SACD as I type. However, I purchased it from Amazon to use up a gift certificate. Amazon cannot tell me when I will get mine because, as Amazon put it, this is an amazingly popular item and they do not have enough stock to fill orders. Problem is I placed my order over a month ago. So either Amazon screwed up, and won't admit it, or (if they are telling the truth), this will be one of the biggest selling SACDs to date.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
George, that was YOU who posted that on AA?!?! I feel for you man. That's a total bummer.

What I love about this disk is all the older material I didn't have yet. I only have "New Favorite", "Forget About It" and "So Long, So Wrong". There is some great material on this two disc set that I haven't heard yet and it sounds great...like all the AK&US SACD's. George it will be worth the wait, especially on your new GR's.

george king

Supporting Actor
Evan,

Yea that was me. I am kind of frustrated with Amazon, as we keep trading e-mails, and I get the same response. I ordered the Norah Jones from them, and I hope that won't be a nightmare, but I am not holding my breath. Amazon claims there is not set release date for NJ, even when I sent them a copied annoucement I took from High Fidelity.

You remember the GRs. I am really enjoying music again, what with the GRs and the SACD player. My pocketbook has felt the hit (and the wife is getting suspicious) as all this new music is in the house (I always buy for her too, I just got her the Live Tower of Power (she loves funk) and she surprised the hell out me. She said, is that one of your new CDs, and when I said yes, she said they have never sounded so good. My wife NEVER hears a difference). I must have bought about 25-30 SACDs in the last couple of months. It is a real treat. So right now, Alison ended, DSOTM is playing, Diana Krall after that, then some Dylan. It will be 1 or 2 am before I go to bed.

Have a good evening.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
George, that Tower Of Power disc is a definite winner. It may be an early release but it's one they got right. I put it in the changer alot, stille. Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I received some empty double-disc Super Jewel Boxes from superjewelbox.com (I dealt with Andrew Schuur), so when I get the new Krauss set, I'll just switch cases.

george king

Supporting Actor
Keith,

That is great news.

I just cancelled my Amazon order when I got another e-mail back saying that it was a popular item and they are filling it on a first come first serve basis (makes no sense to me). Oh well, time to go to BB today and pick it up.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I hooked up my 555ES in my theatre last night and listened to disc one in M/C. I was impressed, not as impressed as I was with DSOTM but it was quite good. I've only listened to disc two in stereo so far. Maybe it'll go downstairs 2-nite?

george king

Supporting Actor
Well, I got mine from BB today. Evan, you are right, it is great. MUCH better than the CD, and I thought the CD was great.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
George, we are in very similar situations. I too am breaking in new speakers (actually, they are fully broken in now) in 25th anniversary ACI Sapphires. I listened to both disk 1 and disk 2 in full tonight and really think, upon reflection, that it's better than even I originally thought. This is just great sounding music. Simple as that. The recording is just short of perfect. So good in fact, that you forget it's a live recording at times.

george king

Supporting Actor
Evan,

I agree. I am listening to disc 2 now. My wife thinks I am nuts, because I have had the set going pretty much non-stop all day.

How are the speakers. I almost went the ACI route, but the GRs were cheaper in the end.

Take care

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
How are the speakers. I almost went the ACI route, but the GRs were cheaper in the end.
I was going to post a review in about 6-8 weeks once I get the speakers fully broken in and I've had 3-4 months to get permanent impressions. I want to really evaluate these babies before I post anything in great detail.

My initial impressions are that they are much better for music than my previous Paradigm Ref 40's because of a much smoother top end. Believe it or not, I haven't decided if that is a benefit for HT because the brighter sound of the metal dome on the Paradigms made movies come alive. I'd say for music it's a 15% improvement at least. For HT, it might be a push. Seeing as I use my system for 80% music, these are a better fit for me and I don't regret my purchase one bit. I have heard speakers that are much more expensive (Nautilus 805's and Sonus Faber Concertos) and feel that these are right in the ballpark with those models at least. What I have realized is that I have definately hit the point now of diminishing returns and any speakers that best these babies will cost me significantly more money, so the good thing is that these babies have squashed the upgrade bug for a long time and I have a feeling they will be in my HT for a while.

george king

Supporting Actor
Evan,

I understand completely. Since I got the GRs the desire to upgrade speakers is largely gone. I would have to spend a lot more money to get much of a benefit, and given everything else, I am not willing to do it.

Ever since I got the speakers and SACD player, the number of movies I have watched has dropped off considerably, but I am listening to a lot more music.

Have a great day.

George

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

Thanks for providing the contact info for Super Jewel on the 2-disc spindle packaging of this new SACD.

FWIW, I passed on the following comments to the company and Rounder:

1. My expectation is that the packaging reflects that I have purchased a "premium" product. Music fidelity is my ultimate focus as a consumer, but I do give high marks to packaging, especially at this price point. My consumer dollars for new software titles like SACD are limited, especially at the MSRP $24.98 (vs. $19.98 for CD and sold retail at most major stores at release for as little as $14).

2. My perception that this is not packaging worthy of a premium product like SACD. This 2-disk stack version has the unfortunate resemblance to the cheap "stack" CD-Rs packages. I am sure this was not intended by the product designers but that's the first connection I made when I opened up my SACD case to see this new design.

3. New design offers "protection to sensitive media side." First let me say that I understand that this is an industry standard during the manufacturing process, but as I said above I am buying a premium product at retail. I am sure that much attention has been given to making sure that this new design package does indeed provide protection you state. However, as a consumer, its just not obvious to me this is the case.

I do understand the business goal of trying to save money on packaging and produce a more efficient design. However, as a consumer I find the two-stack design unsatisfactory period, but particularly with a premium product.

Let me add that the 2-disc fliptray is not ideal, especially for older consumers who really have difficultly opening and getting out the discs. So I am sympathetic to efforts to produce something that makes pulling out a disc easier as well.

At my age this is not an issue, and I would prefer a design which provides a separate housing for each disc to insure each is well protected. The 2-disc fliptray has become common although I preferred the larger boxes that were available in the past where each disc had its own compartment.

I realize that for many that this takes up too much retail space and the design changed to the fliptray.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
WOW, Truly a wonderful night. AKUS are consonant performers. Amazing how sarcastic and humorous Alison is. The sound was awesome(almost as good as my sacd---that was for Lee:D ). They played for 2 straight hours. Surely an A+ concert. Also, my first country/bluegrass concert:b

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks