Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speakers for Denon 1803

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Rockstad

Adam Rockstad

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 08:34 AM

Hi, I live in an apartment, and I'm buyin my first home stereo system. After reading various forums and reviews, I'm looking at buying a Denon 1803 reciever. I'm still unsure as to what speakers to get with this. I've been looking seriously at the Klipsch Quintet. I also auditioned a 6.1 Mirage set that included a unimpressive sub for $499. I'm really not looking to spend more than $500 on speakers, so I'm open to any suggestions and advice people on this forum are willing to give. Thank you.

ps. I was looking at either the Klipsch ksw10 or ksw12 subwoofer to coincide with the Quintets.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   jeff_str

jeff_str

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 03:32 PM

People seem to really like the JBL NSP1 setup. Roughly $200, plus a WM40 or that new velodyne and you've got it all for under $500. There are threads on these, just run a few searches.

--jeff_str

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Rick J

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 12:50 AM

hi adam

i have the 1803 with klipsch quintets, 12" sub, and sc-1 center and love the setup for movies! if i were you, i would go for the larger sub, and the center (for <$200) is a great speaker. on the other hand, the quintets are not real great for music but i didn't buy them for that either. if you're looking for more of a music setup then i'd suggest looking at towers or even the klipsch sb-2 or sb-3 bookshelf speakers. i don't have room for towers but i'd like to upgrade to the bookshelf ones in the future. personally i really like the denon/klipsch setup. i did alot of reading at sites like this and audioreview.com before making my decision...good luck. rick

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Rockstad

Adam Rockstad

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 03:58 PM

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to use my setup for music as well as movies, so I'll do a little more research before I finally buy. I'll let everyone know what I end up getting. Thanks again.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   DarylA

DarylA

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 11:51 AM

Don't forget the Energy exl series. an awesome sound for a reasonable price. Good luck.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   CurtisSC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 12:35 PM

If you don't mind the internet direct route, great things have been said about these two companies:

Ascend Acoustics http://ascendacoustics.com
Aperion Audio http://aperionaudio.com
curtis
Manhattan Beach, California

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   DougKuhn

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 09:01 PM

Hi Adam,

I have the the AVR-1803 as well and recently was in the market for speakers. Living in an apartment with relatively small rooms I ended up buying the JBL SCS150SI's. I picked them up from B&H Photo (online) with free shipping for about $360 (considerably cheaper than many other places).

It is a nice package and fits my living room well with their slim design...and I found after some tweaking they sound quite good as well...playing both music and HT.
DBK
Slowly learning.....