What's new

Velodyne HGS-18 vs. SVS PB2-Plus (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well there is a good question Haris? To early yet for any numbers to be out on the SVS PB2-Plus as you know but considering the whole picture I think I might go with the SVS. It would be new //"can you get the 18" Vel new for close to the same cost"// and would have there money back guarantee along with there top notch costumer service. From Toms past posts on the 2+ I would expect it to hold it's own quite well in this category of subs? Should be close anyway? In the past I have ran duel Vel ct-150's which I am phasing out and they have been no slouch, but not in the same category as the 18".

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Considering Adire's Dharman subwoofer ($599) is equivalent to an HGS15, I'd expect the PB2+ to exceed the HGS18.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If both are within your budget, go with the HGS18. You might be able to find them discounted now since the *digital* HGS's are supposed to be shipping in summer/2003. And if you can find a FSR18 at the local dealer...that is even better than the HGS18.

Based only on a size/extension/distortion/output ratio...the HGS18 really has little competition...but you do pay quite a bit for it.

TV

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Thanks for all the info.

Tom,

So you're saying that the Velodyne HGS-18 goes louder and deeper than the SVS PB2-Plus?

Secondly, what exactly are the new "digital" Velodyne HGS subwoofers? What will the difference be between them and the current line?

Arron H

Second Unit
Secondly, what exactly are the new "digital" Velodyne HGS subwoofers? What will the difference be between them and the current line?
They will be significantly more expensive than the HGS series (I believe the replacement for the HGS18 will be somewhere between $4-$5K. They are supposed to have a gizmo that automatically flattens the FR (no more need for an equalizer). I am probably oversimplifying so others please feel free to correct any blunders. ;)

Chip E

Screenwriter
Seems to me you could buy two PB2+'s for the cost of one HGS18. That's if the estimated cost of the PB2+ is around $1299.00. Onecall has the Velo HGS18 at $2799.00

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Haris,

That's not what Tom meant. He said "little" competition, not none.

And for all intents and purposes, the PB2-Plus isn't competition anyway, it's not even available yet, whereas you can have an excellent HGS-18 tomorrow if you want.

Final component prices are just about nailed. The $1,299 ball park is as close as any we have at the moement. If we thought there was a sub that provided as much performance, at twice the price, we'd be relooking things.

So far we're OK I think ;^)

As soon as we get a final production date for our enclosures and tweak a few details that'll affect boxing and shipping we'll start talking pre-orders. It's our number one project in both R/D and Marketing so you know we're pushing hard to wrap things up.

Ron

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Thanks for all the info.
Tom,So you're saying that the Velodyne HGS-18 goes louder and deeper than the SVS PB2-Plus?

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
I commend the SVS guys for being honest and upfront!! The HGS-18 is one great sub and will fit "most" applications. Got a local revel dealer to do a comparison and the velo bested the revel B15.

It really matters what you want and for what application. The most bang for the buck will probably always go to HSU, SVS and the custom Tumult guys. It is just economics on why these companies can deliver more value- commerical companies need to build into their pricing for larger overhead, print media advertising, name recognition/brand awareness and dealer margins to name a few.

Demas

Agent
I'm a little perplexed, as to the Velo providing greater output than the PB2+.Firstly, in the weatherhead review, a single SVS ultra achieved 3db greater output than the velo down to 20hz all measurement statistics being equal.If a single ultra can outperform output wise, then surely the PB2+ would crush it?

I'm not 100 percent familiar with the PB2+.Isn't the PB2+ more powerful than a single ultra?

I always thought that your mid-priced units could outperform the velodyne 18", but now it seems almost unbeatable down low.I was under the impression that the 16-46pc+ could outperform the velo down low, and the other models beating the velo within their respective frequency limits.

Regards

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"Isn't the PB2+ more powerful than a single ultra?"

Good question.

Tom (TV), how about a neat chart or something that shows how the SV subs stack up to each other?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Isn't the PB2+ more powerful than a single ultra?"

Good question.

Tom (TV), how about a neat chart or something that shows how the SV subs stack up to each other?

Randy G

Second Unit
In the comparisons, don't forget that the ported SVS enclosures have a bit of an advantage over the sealed/smaller Velodyne. Tom laid out the comparisons pretty darned well, IMHO.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Demas:

Tom clearly qualified his statement to award the Velo the advantage only below 20 Hz and only when the PB2+ is either in the 25 or 20 Hz tune mode.

Yes, the Velo is definitely a bottom feeder. Looking at the Weatherhead review FR chart for the big Velo, it clearly hangs in there, remaining flat from 30 Hz down to below 15 Hz.

I had no idea, that the Velo 18 was such a brilliant performer down below 20hz, would the 16-46pci outperform it?
I seriously doubt a 16-46 PCi would outgun the Velo 18 below 20 Hz, but I'm quite certain a 16-46 PC+ would come darn close. The 16-46 PC+ offers a solid 5-6 dB advantage in maximum output below 30 Hz over the 16-46 PCi.

FWIW, the Ultras in the Weatherhead shootout were equipped with the original driver. The current production driver for the Ultra is the TC Sounds TV12. The TV12 holds a 1.5 dB advantage over the original Ultra driver. So when you are crunching the numbers for how badly a single or dual Ultra stomped on the Velo, just add 1.5 dB to the Ultra number.

So to "re-crunch" your numbers, all other things being equal and using the Weatherhead review as a framework:

Velo 18: 101 dB at 20 Hz (Weatherhead)
Dual Ultra w/original driver: 110 dB at 20 Hz (Weatherhead)
Dual Ultra w/current TV12 driver: 111.5 dB at 20 Hz (estimate)
Single Ultra w/current TV12 driver: 105.5 dB @ 20 Hz (estimate)
Single PB2+ in 20 Hz tune: 108.5-110.5 dB at 20 Hz (estimate)

I think the thing to remember is that the PB2+ is clearly tailored to generate prodigious output in the 25 Hz and above region, albeit with tuning capability below 25 Hz with some associated loss in output. It is not designed to drop into the teens with extreme authority - the best SV sub for that job is the 16-46 enclosure.

SV comes as close as any company to providing a "one sub does it all" concept. With that said, each model and each size enclosure clearly has an intended optimum operating range. It is up to the user to select which sub best fits his needs, and run the sub in the stock configuration most of the time.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks