What's new

26 Harold Lloyd comedies on TCM in April! (full schedule) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Turner Classic Movies is showcasing the films of Harold Lloyd this month. All 26 are fully restored and given fresh remasters. See www.turnerclassicmovies.com for extra information. Also, there will be home movies and photo montages shown around the films. TCM likes to air stuff in between films, so I'd keep your TiVo or VCR running the whole time.

Here are the films: (all eastern time)

SUNDAY, APRIL 6:

9:00 PM - The Freshman
10:15 PM - For Heaven's Sake
11:30 PM - The Kid Brother
12:00 AM - Speedy
1:30 AM - Harold Lloyd's World of Comedy

SUNDAY, APRIL 13:

8:00 PM - The Milky Way
9:30 PM - Welcome Danger
11:30 PM - Feet First
1:00 AM - Movie Crazy
2:30 AM - The Cat's Paw

SUNDAY, APRIL 20:

8:00 PM - Safety Last!
9:30 PM - Never Weaken
10:30 PM - Why Worry?
11:15 PM - Girl Shy
12:45 PM - Hot Water
2:00 AM - Now Or Never
3:15 AM - Ask Father
3:30 AM - Billy Blazes, Esq.
3:45 AM - Among Those Present

SUNDAY, APRIL 27:

8:00 PM - Harold Lloyd's World of Comedy
9:30 PM - An Eastern Westerner
10:00 PM - From Hand To Mouth
10:30 PM - High and Dizzy
11:00 PM - Sailor-Made Man
12:00 AM - I Do
12:30 AM - Grandma's Boy
1:45 AM - Dr. Jack

Speedy, Safety Last and The Kid Brother have scores by Carl Davis. The rest of the silents have scores by Robert Israel.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I was under the impression that all of the silents would have Mr. Israel's new scores; haven't heard the Davis scores, but I would have really liked to hear Israel's score to Safety Last. When he played the organ accompaniment to Safety Last last weekend at the LA County Mueseum, it was perfect for the movie.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Oh, I don't mean to say Patrick is wrong at all, I don't know; and thanks to him for bringing this schedule to our attention.

It's just that Mr. Israel's scores were all very good, so I would like to hear them. Grandma's Boy is beautifully scored, and The Freshman's crucial scene is film scoring perfection.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
This is wonderful.

Some time ago it was said that these were coming to DVD soon from his estate...any updates on that?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, Carl Davis scored a few of the films in 1992 for Thames Video. The scores for Safety Last and Speedy are excellent.

Word has it that the Harold Lloyd Trust is still looking for someone. They turned down Kino originally, so who knows. I think the most likely distributors, IMO, would be Warner, Anchor Bay, and Criterion.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I've never seen a Harold Lloyd picture, so this is good news. Since I won't be able to record or watch all of these, which would you classify as "must see"?

Brad

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'd classify Safety Last as a definite must-see. There aren't many movies that made me laugh as hard as this one. The Freshman, which kicks everything off, is supposed to be one of his best.

Regarding Sunday's schedule as listed on the TCM website, it's not quite right. The run-times do not match up with the start times. I'm having my parents record these for me, and I really have no idea when to have them start the second tape. The other 3 nights seem okay, but 4/6 is definitely screwed up.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just noticed the problems on the first Sunday schedule...

Perhaps you'll just have to be on standby. They usually don't have programming problems like this.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I think what happened is that somehow for Sunday they "sprang forward" two hours instead of one. The schedule on tvguide.com with The Freshman starting at 8pm et, seems to be correct, and fairly accurately matches up with the running times. I've had a lot of people tell me lately that The Freshman is even better than Safety Last, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks