What's new

Sub + BFD: Calibrate in Pro Logic or Stereo? (1 Viewer)

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting ready to equalize my sub again since I've made some room changes. Now, I know most people recommend setting all speakers to small and let the sub handle all the lows, but after several trial runs with small/large/sub on/sub off settings, I find that the best sound (to me) is setting center and rears to 'small', setting fronts to 'large', and setting sub to 'on'. I use the excel sheet found on http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm and the sine wave test tones to get a frequency response curve.

It has been stated several times on this board to equalize the sub with the front speakers on, and I plan on doing just that. The test tones are burned onto a cd. This means that since the source is NOT 5.1, I must put the sound mode in either Pro Logic or stereo. The $20,000 question is this: Should I equalize the sub while my pre/pro is in Pro Logic mode or in stereo mode, both of which utilize the sub? There are considerable volume differences between the two modes. I do not know if the relative volume between the sub and mains changes between modes, so I was hoping some people have some insight with this.

Thanks!

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer to EQ while I'm running on stereo, then cross-over the PL, PL2 or any other mode to ensure the bass is still smooth.

I find that the relative sub volume can change with respect to the surround mode I change, but the bass response should still remain relatively flat. Volume diff aside, the properly BFD should still maintain the relatively flat response in any surround mode.

The main reason I cal to stereo is that I can be certain the bass response and volume remains correct while listening to 2-stereo music which I'm slightly more critical of.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I find that the best sound (to me) is setting center and rears to 'small', setting fronts to 'large', and setting sub to 'on'.
The problem with this approach is that the room will probably have the same effect in response on both the sub and mains in the range that they are both operating. However, you will be able to equalize the room’s effect on sub the only.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
That should work just fine because on my initial measurements my room response didn't have any bad nulls.

Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.