What's new

How is the Klipsch RSW-15? (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Many people and reviewers say that the subwoofer is not strong below 30Hz. Does this mean the subwoofer is not good for home theater as many movies have deep loud bass?

I currently have the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers and no subwoofer.

I was also considering waiting for the SVS PB2-Plus.

Jorge UF

Stunt Coordinator
The RSW is a very smooth sub. THat would be the best way for me to describe it. Great looking and smooth. Ive seen many review it as being a more musical sub, while svs is more of a home theatre sub.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Current SVS tube products, IMO, give you a better price performance than the Klipsch. Having said that, I auditioned the Klipsch and was very much pleased. I could tell little difference between it and the eventual winner of my money - SVS 20-39.

The real difference - about $400. My 2 cents...

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Which "20-39" was it?

So, are you saying you could not tell much difference between the Klipsch RSW-15 and the SVS?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I extensively demo'd the RSW-15. It is a fantastic sounding sub. It exhibits excellent detail, transient response seemed excellent, with good attack, and group delay seemed short, with no discernible "bass ring" or "over hang". It also has SPL capability to spare - it is a real powerhouse.

Where the RSW-15 definitely fell short IMHO was in deep extension below 30 Hz. It simply cannot do full justice to the very deepest (15-25 Hz) sections of the most popular bass heavy DVDs out there today, like U-571, LOTR-FOTR, Titan AE, and a bunch of others. Both Brian Weatherhead and Tom Nousaine have found the RSW-15 to be about -15 dB at 20 Hz compared to the average 30-35 Hz level.

This shortcoming of the RSW line of Klipsch subs is well known, but many enthusiasts still purchase this sub because of its other strengths. For music above 30 Hz, the RSW-15 has few peers in its price range. For music and HT where 15-25 Hz capability suddenly becomes very important, there are probably better overall choices.

The RSW-15 can be had for about $1,400 delivered. If HT is your priority, I would look hard at the SVS PB2+ for about the same price delivered. The PB2+ stock tune is 25 Hz, but it can be tuned to 20 Hz by altering the SS filter/EQ switch setting and plugging one port. Even with one port plugged, the PB2+ will be more than a match for the RSW-15 in SPL capability, with much deeper extension and comparable sound quality.

If you are looking for an even deeper stock tune and even more SPL capability, twin 20-39 PC+ for about $1700 will outperform (probably by a few dB) a PB2+ that has been re-tuned to 20 Hz. That's assuming you have room for twin cylinders.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks