What's new

Arkoff Horror titles coming out in the UK only (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
According to DVD Drive-In, some of the old AIP/Sam Arkoff titles are coming out on DVD in England, Region 2. The titles are DAY THE WORLD ENDED (scope?), HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER, WAR OF THE COLOSAL BEAST, and THE SPIDER (EARTH VS. THE). They also said that it reads "AMC Monsterfest" on the covers, so maybe a U.S. release are planned for these?http://www.dvddrive-in.com

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great News, especially since I have a multi-region player! Day the World Ended is my favorite of the bunch, hopefully they'll release OAR.

I had heard that Susan Hart owns I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN, I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF and some others and was holding out for mucho dinero. I do hope that AMC plans on releasing what they own to an American DVD audience. Hell, these are American films!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED actually works much better in unmatted form. It wasn't shot in true scope, but simply filmed full apeture and then cropped to a 2:25 to 1 ratio. Theatrical prints were in anamorphic scope; but the movie wasn't shot that way. I've got the fullframe VHS and a widescreen AMC broadcast on tape, and the widescreen one isn't the best presentation.

Other movies that were released this way include THE LAND UNKNOWN and RUN FOR THE SUN.

Two extreme examples are SON OF SINBAD and SEPTEMBER STORM, both of which were shot in full apeture 3-D and then re-formatted (cropped) to 2:35 to 1 for release in anamorphic form. SINBAD was released in flat cropped "Superscope" while STORM was released in both "Scope 3-D" and "Scope flat" versions. The TV versions of STORM are horrible as they were panned and scanned from the already cropped version; which results in the picture being heavily cropped on all four sides, and flat to boot!

Needless to say; anything shot in true scope is a must in OAR; but for these "Superscope" presentations it can be argued either way. Many of these movies weren't necessarily shot with allowances for extreme cropping in mind. In many cases, the scope reframing was an afterthought so in that case, the real OAR is in question.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Steve Phillips wrote:
Other movies that were released this way (superscope)include THE LAND UNKNOWN and RUN FOR THE SUN.

I thought THE LAND UNKNOWN was shot in 2.35:1 anamorphic CinemaScope.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Steve Phillips wrote:
Other movies that were released this way (superscope)include THE LAND UNKNOWN and RUN FOR THE SUN.

I thought THE LAND UNKNOWN was shot in 2.35:1 anamorphic CinemaScope.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Don't get your hopes up- these are the same titles that were recently remade for TV. Perhaps it's the new ones that are being released in the UK. They're already out in the US.

The AMC tag is a possibility, so I'll cross my fingers with the rest of you.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
No, THE LAND UNKNOWN wasn't shot in CinemaScope, but it was released that way. In other words, they simply cropped the image to 2:35 to 1, and then made anamporphic release prints.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Darren, how can they be the old ones? The covers and the press release clearly state that they're the original from the 50s!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks