What's new

Does the Xbox play SACD's? (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I got my 1st DVD audio disc the other day. (Metallica/Black Album). I was blown away. Stereo sucks ass. Long live DVD-Audio!!!!!! Link Removed

Anyhoo, I see that Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon has just been released on SACD.

I can't find any info anywhere on the Xbox's audio specs to see if it will play the super audio cd's.

Anyone know off hand if it is compatible with sacd's????

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The XBox is not a SACD player. It may play the "redbook" regular audio CD layer on hybrid CDs (such as the DSOTM), but it will not play the enhanced SACD layer.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Out of curiousity, did you listen to the high resolution DVD-Audio version of Metallica or simply the Dolby Digital 5.1 version? Your XBox will read the Dolby Digital tracks, but it will not read the high resolution tracks on DVD-Audio discs.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Derrik: You were simply listening to the compressed 5.1 DD or DTS track (not sure which one is on the metallic DVDA), not the high-res DVD-A track.

Also, AFAIK, it wont play SACDs... IF its a hybrid, it might play the stereo redbook layer, but not the high-res SACD layer

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Derrik: You were simply listening to the compressed 5.1 DD or DTS track (not sure which one is on the metallic DVDA), not the high-res DVD-A track
You mean...it gets EVEN BETTER!???! :eek:

That's some seriously killer news...and bad news.

Great to hear that what I thought was phenomenal, actually isn't a great as it can be but, it sucks that the Xbox doesn't have the capabilites to go beyond the compressed 5.1 track.

Well, now I have some motivation to get a real dvd/dvd-a/sacd player. :emoji_thumbsup:

Anyone have some spare cash laying around to lend me? ;)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Derrick,
"Metallica" was the first DVD-Audio disc that I did an A/B comparison with (acutally, an A/B/C)- the high resolution layer, the Dolby Digital soundtrack, and the (seperate) CD track on an old compact disc. The differences were stunning to me. I'll be buying a combo SACD/ DVD-Audio player (likely a Pioneer Elite) as soon as they fix the 'ol bass management thing.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Scott, how do you know which "layer" you're listening too?

When I put in the disc, there isn't any sound format choices like on a DVD movie.

If you didn't mention the fact that there was a high resolution track, I'd never know it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
If you don't have a DVD-Audio compatible player, it will not be playing the DVD-Audio high resolution layer, simple as that, Derrik.

If you have a Dolby Digital player but not a DVDA, it will use the DD layer.

If you have a CD player but no DD capability, it uses the old fashioned "redbook" regular CD layer.

James E

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to say the xbox fails to load the cd layer of the dsotm:frowning:

james

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Get a Yamaha S2300, bass management is good, and DVD-A and SACD sound pretty damn amazing on it. Welcome to Hi-Res

P.S. IMHO the surround makes more of an impact than the hi res does, but the two combined...... oh my :)

Scott Varney

Agent
If this is a stupid question, please forgive me. But does SACD use a different laser than the DVD drive in the Xbox? Is it possible that an upgrade could become available for download or purchase like the DVD kit that would allow playback of DVD-A and/or SACD? Would probably need a new AV adapter though?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
It dosent matter if ti uses a dvd laser, the audio decoding chips arent int he x-box so no upgrades will happen, plus you need 6 channel analog outpouts to listen to sacd or dvd-a

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the info guys. My next purchase is a DVD player with the audio capabilities. I was just too blown away by the simple DD track. I can't imagine how much better the higher res. track is, but I'm going to find out.

I'm sold; stereo is dead. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks