Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does the Xbox play SACD's?

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 11:59 AM

I got my 1st DVD audio disc the other day. (Metallica/Black Album). I was blown away. Stereo sucks ass. Long live DVD-Audio!!!!!! Posted Image

Anyhoo, I see that Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon has just been released on SACD.

I can't find any info anywhere on the Xbox's audio specs to see if it will play the super audio cd's.

Anyone know off hand if it is compatible with sacd's????
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

#2 of 13 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:22 PM

The XBox is not a SACD player. It may play the "redbook" regular audio CD layer on hybrid CDs (such as the DSOTM), but it will not play the enhanced SACD layer.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#3 of 13 Scott_lb

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:35 PM

Out of curiousity, did you listen to the high resolution DVD-Audio version of Metallica or simply the Dolby Digital 5.1 version? Your XBox will read the Dolby Digital tracks, but it will not read the high resolution tracks on DVD-Audio discs.
"My name is El Nino which in spanish means.... The Nino!" - Chris Farley

#4 of 13 NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:05 PM

Derrik: You were simply listening to the compressed 5.1 DD or DTS track (not sure which one is on the metallic DVDA), not the high-res DVD-A track.

Also, AFAIK, it wont play SACDs... IF its a hybrid, it might play the stereo redbook layer, but not the high-res SACD layer

#5 of 13 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:09 PM

Quote:
Derrik: You were simply listening to the compressed 5.1 DD or DTS track (not sure which one is on the metallic DVDA), not the high-res DVD-A track

You mean...it gets EVEN BETTER!???! Posted Image

That's some seriously killer news...and bad news.

Great to hear that what I thought was phenomenal, actually isn't a great as it can be but, it sucks that the Xbox doesn't have the capabilites to go beyond the compressed 5.1 track.

Well, now I have some motivation to get a real dvd/dvd-a/sacd player. Posted Image

Anyone have some spare cash laying around to lend me? Posted Image

#6 of 13 Scott_lb

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 08:42 AM

Derrick,
"Metallica" was the first DVD-Audio disc that I did an A/B comparison with (acutally, an A/B/C)- the high resolution layer, the Dolby Digital soundtrack, and the (seperate) CD track on an old compact disc. The differences were stunning to me. I'll be buying a combo SACD/ DVD-Audio player (likely a Pioneer Elite) as soon as they fix the 'ol bass management thing.
"My name is El Nino which in spanish means.... The Nino!" - Chris Farley

#7 of 13 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 11:48 AM

Scott, how do you know which "layer" you're listening too?

When I put in the disc, there isn't any sound format choices like on a DVD movie.

If you didn't mention the fact that there was a high resolution track, I'd never know it.

#8 of 13 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 12:15 PM

If you don't have a DVD-Audio compatible player, it will not be playing the DVD-Audio high resolution layer, simple as that, Derrik.

If you have a Dolby Digital player but not a DVDA, it will use the DD layer.

If you have a CD player but no DD capability, it uses the old fashioned "redbook" regular CD layer.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#9 of 13 James E

James E

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:01 PM

Just wanted to say the xbox fails to load the cd layer of the dsotmPosted Image

james
20 Movies i like .

"To thine own self be true. (If not that, at least make some money.)" - Fortune

#10 of 13 John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 03:50 AM

Get a Yamaha S2300, bass management is good, and DVD-A and SACD sound pretty damn amazing on it. Welcome to Hi-Res

P.S. IMHO the surround makes more of an impact than the hi res does, but the two combined...... oh my Posted Image
Cheers

John

#11 of 13 Scott Varney

Scott Varney

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 03:57 AM

If this is a stupid question, please forgive me. But does SACD use a different laser than the DVD drive in the Xbox? Is it possible that an upgrade could become available for download or purchase like the DVD kit that would allow playback of DVD-A and/or SACD? Would probably need a new AV adapter though?

#12 of 13 John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 04:04 AM

It dosent matter if ti uses a dvd laser, the audio decoding chips arent int he x-box so no upgrades will happen, plus you need 6 channel analog outpouts to listen to sacd or dvd-a
Cheers

John

#13 of 13 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info guys. My next purchase is a DVD player with the audio capabilities. I was just too blown away by the simple DD track. I can't imagine how much better the higher res. track is, but I'm going to find out.

I'm sold; stereo is dead. Posted Image