What's new

DVD rack/shelf with glass doors? (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
My milk crate is overfilling with DVDs and it's time to break down and buy a shelf or rack for my media. I've got 100-140 DVDs, with some VHS and maybe 100 CD cases to store. I've been going back and forth between the tall Boltz racks and a standard wood shelf system (or even Ikea's Dromme). I love the look of the steel Boltz racks, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it to find a shelf with glass doors. I figure the Dromme would keep my collection a little less dusty with its doors, but then I don't want to hide all the fancy-schmancy art boxes that come with anime behind opaque doors. Is there such a thing as a steel shelf with glass doors (sliding or swinging, doesn't matter much)? If not, what about wood shelves with glass doors (with short shelves meant for DVD storage)?

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Ikea's BILLY with GLASS DOORs runs for $179 give or take are pretty good. I have 5 of these in a wall - two have Glass doors, and 2 cases hold about 600 DVDs... Wish I had a digital camera to show you how nice they look, but here is a link to IKEA's own page....

http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_pres...SetUp=2976,0,0

Mine was the Billy (Beech Veneer) bookcase with matching glass doors (79 + 100 = 179)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I started off with a Bertby cabinet, see
http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_pres...ART&id=442,468

it doesn't hold much though (officially 160, but more like 140 since you need to allow a bit more "headroom" on each shelf to accomodate anything taller than a regular keepcase). I ran out of space and spilled over to the cabinets/thing holding the TV and HTiB -- what I believe Americans call an "entertainment center" -- which was built out of Ikea's now-discontinued Kubist line.

I've since moved, and re-jigged the Kubist cabinets as cabinets only (no TV bench), and they stand in the study, rather than the living room with the HT setup. the Bertby still hasn't been hung up and stands in a corner of the study. I'm now running out of space in the Kubist cabinets and have been forced to "double-stack" in places, since the cabinets are fairly deep and can easily hold 2 layers of DVDs, but obviously you can't see the second layer.

oh well.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I really like the look of both of these. I'll have to check them out in the Houston Ikea.

Woo, the Billy cabinet looks like it has 6 shelves (counting the bottom). Is this how you have yours set up? How much headroom is wasted between DVDs and the next shelf? Do you double-stack like Yee-Ming in order to fit 300 per cabinet?

Yee-Ming, is the Bertby meant to be imbedded into a wall? I'm in an apartment, so I don't have the freedom to open up a wall and put in stuff. I have to get something that's free-standing (although it's not a big deal to put in a few wall anchors to keep the shelf from tipping over). Now, it looks like it has 9 shelves. Is that for fitting CDs ... do you have to remove a couple to fit DVDs?

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Got the Billy setup today ... gonna set it up soon and see what kinda of extras I want to add next time I drive up to H-town :) Thx for the recommendations.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Daren, the Bertby is wall-mounted. you need to drill two holes at the bottom, fit in a wooden piece (supplied) as a brace, the cabinet fits on top of the wooden piece with pegs to hold it in place, then you screw a metal bracket to the wall as well to hold it.

the glass shelves are moveable, and although theoretically you could have 8 sets of shelves (including the bottom) with 20 discs each, for 160 total, I've found that you need to give a bit more headroom, for non-keepcase packaging, so in practice you get 7 shelves (6 glass + bottom) for 140 discs. as you've observed, the picture probably shows it configured for CD jewel cases.

although I notice you've already got the Billys. oh well, for info purposes then in case anyone else is interested.

BTW, I thought the Billys aren't deep enough to double-stack?

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Since you live in an apartment, I will add that you do need to drill ONE hole into the wall so that the bookcase does NOT fall over (I have a really tall one 79.5 inches in height, I believe). I will measure the space between the DVDs.

All the shelves but the center and the bottom are adjustable but having the glass doors does limit your choice of where to put the shelves.

I have my DVDs both shelved (like books in a library) then stacked (like pizza boxes) so there is little to no room.

One of these days, I have to remove some books and maybe get another set of glass doors to store my DVDs (600+ as of this Saturday...)

John Watson

Screenwriter
A bit on the kinky side, is a TELEPHONE BOOTH available from Signals, the PBS outlet. It has plexiglas panels on 3 sides of a nicely scaled model British telephone booth. Altho efficient use involves two layers of disks (double-stack), if you like class as opposed to just needing quantity storage, it makes a great room feature.

Its about 4' tall, and holds about 120 disks in the visible area, and another 40 or so on smaller shelves.
My Avengers box sets and Hitchcock, etc collections, proudly reside in the 'booth. :)

Users who are viewing this thread