What's new

Let's Talk MST3K Box Sets (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I've really been enjoying the box sets, especially #2 with the shorts disc. DDD just emailed me to say that Box Set 3 has shipped to me. Has anyone seen the cover art for this yet? Has anyone heard any plans for a 4th set? Both 2 & 3 were announced some months ago.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Funny you should bring this up.

I was just sent the 2nd Volume boxed set.

I wish these PR firms would send this stuff to
me in ADVANCE of street date. What is the sense
of reviewing these titles AFTER release date?

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Yeah, the 2nd one has been out since February or something. Watch the shorts though, Ron-- "A Date with Your Family" and "Cheating" are both hysterical.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
IMO, Warner-Rhino made a great decision to turn to box sets...

The single-episode discs are good, but are usually $16 each. For $44.99 (amazon's price), you get each episode for roughly $11.

It also increases the value when they put the uncut movie on the disc and trailers.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
What is the sense of reviewing these titles AFTER release date?
Why does the release date matter from a reviewing standpoint? The content is the same a month from now as it was a month ago. I doubt Rhino is shooting for high debuts on sales charts or anything. MST3K sets probably sell a decent number of copies over a long period of time...I'd imagine the bulk of the sales don't occur in the space of a couple of weeks, especially considering that many stores are slow to stock them.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
David Illingworth II wrote:
Has anyone heard any plans for a 4th set?
All of the DVD thus far have been releases of episodes that Rhino earlier put out on VHS. And, out of these previous VHS titles, only the MST3K episode The Gunslinger and MST3K Shorts Vol. 3 have yet to be released on DVD. (Note: I'm not counting The Amazing Colossal Man, which Rhino lost the video rights to years ago.)

Of course, there are over 150 more episode of the MST3K series that Rhino hasn't released in any format, so it remains to be seem if there will be other episodes released from Rhino.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A lot of episodes (especially KTMA) will likely never show up on DVD if just for rights problems.

However...here's a short list of episodes that Rhino could easily obtain rights or not need to (public domain):

Monster A Go Go
Bride of the Monster
The Crawling Eye
Robot Monster
The Black Scorpion (owned by WB)
Lost Continent
Santa Claus
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
The Giant Gila Monster
Girls Town (owned by WB)
The Painted Hills (owned by WB)
The Brute Man
The Incredibly Strange Creatures
Jack Frost
Prince of Space
Invasion of the Neptune Men
Devil Doll
Time Chasers
Phantom Planet
Puma Man
Hobgoblins
Girl In Gold Boots
Horrors of Spider Island
Horror Of Party Beach
Track of the Moon Beast

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Santa Clause Conquers the Martians
If I'm not mistaken, this contains one of the most classic of all MST3k moments.. with the Crow Song "Let's have a Patrick Swayze Christmas" I would buy this in a heartbeat; I have all the eps in SVHS (including KTMA) but would LOVE to have them in official DVD :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Nope, some fool bought the rights and is determined to do a remake. As such, he will NOT allow the MSTie version to be released on video as it devalues his property (I'd say the film devalues it enough frankly)

Rhino already has rights to Bride of the Monster I believe, unless they went to image (fuzzy on that)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The remake might not have went through... Ben Edlund has been trying to make a remake for years, but no one will finance it. (from the now-defunct Coming Attractions website)

Heck, at least a MST3K video would make money.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ben Edlund has the rights to SCCTM? You're KIDDING right?

Perhaps it's time to get connected to his office at Mutant Enemy with an "Are you nuts" call

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
'It's the craziest, Swaziest, Christmas of them all.'

Classic.

Also the Santa Martian film also had the credits spelling error. 'Custume Design'

What else was there, oh yes, 'Nobody was prepared for the, Robot Halocaust.' LOL!!

This was my very first episode of MST3K.

Oh, how I miss it.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Actually, SCCTM is owned by MGM or Canal+ (dunno which, both control sections of the Embassy Pictures catalog, but dunno who owns this one)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Wow, Chris! Do you really have EVERY episode in SVHS? Are they all your own original recordings? I have just about every episode recorded in SP mode VHS, but all my Comedy Central episodes are dubs.

All the DVD releases are titles that were already available on VHS. Rhino has not released any fresh titles in a couple years. I am loosing hope on them ever doing so.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I love the cover choices they've made so far and this new one looks even better. I also love the inclusion of the shorts...good for a quick fix. "Robot Rumpus" is probably my favorite of that bunch.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks