Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Remember G vs. E (aka Good versus Evil)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 03:35 AM

Quote:
To me, though, once it left USA for Sci-Fi (and dropped the G vs E for the less interesting "Good vs. Evil") it seemed to lose a lot of the quirky appeal that drew me to it

Two episodes I watched the other day(when it first switched titles to "Good Vs. Evil)were definitely more serious and less quirky. But the last one I saw(with "Cougar Pines", the urban black golfer) was old school G Vs. E. and hilarious. With one of my favorite quotes:

[Caougar's Dad running Ford & Decker off his property:]

"Get off my neighborhood!"

#22 of 24 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 08:48 AM

Brian Kaz wrote (post #15):

Quote:
. . . you obviously have not seen a lot of this show.

I believe I saw all the episodes at least once. (Some of them more than once.)

Quote:
I would think that being such a strong dissenter means you've only seen a couple at most. After all, you wouldn't keep watching a show you didn't like, right?

Wrong. I actually do at times watch things I may not completely like because:

(a) I don't just watch entertainment programs for "pure entertainment's" sake alone.
(b) One can learn from things that are not necessarily the most pleasant to one's own sensibilities. I like to learn.
© I like science-fiction and supernatural horror programming---that's my one and only reason for owning homevideo of any kind---, and try to give even shows I'm not altogether happy with an ample chance.

As usual, I have not said that I completely disliked it, either. That's only your interpretation. The show definitely had a modicum of charm to it, but for those of us who were around in the seventies, a lot that charm was "old hat", informed by "retrocool" that we'd seen and heard before, not the "innovation" some people here think it is.

Its charm, to my mind, didn't outweigh or counterbalance the amount of tedium or of incredibility of the overall story. I had a similar reaction to Brimstone, a show with no charm at all, from the first time I saw it: "Premise too strong. Nowhere to go with it. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Certain cancellation."

Quentin wrote (post #16):

Quote:
"Suffering" from a one-note premise is the "weakness" of every TV show.

I doubt that seriously, but the difference from most fictional entertainment is that, for "genre" programming, the premise (e.g., an "angel detective agency") is so strong and subject to such credibility problems that there exists an extra burden of care that needs to go into building up and playing off of the premise than there is for romances, detective or legal dramas, etc. It isn't "fair", but, nevertheless, it is so. The X-Files is about an "agency" (or department of an agency) investigating "paranormal" phenomena, but its "universe" is throroughly grounded in realism and realistic characters, which is what makes the fantastic elements actually work when they're introduced into the story. Special Unit 2, by contrast, which is the tv-program probably most aptly comparable to G(ood) vs. E(vil), is almost equally as fantastic, as I pointed out before, yet I enjoyed it so much more. Maybe it's that I didn't get the impression that I was being hit over the head with "style over substance", as I felt with G vs. E. "Yeah, it's cool. We can see that. So, what else?"

Quote:
It is how they explore and expand upon that premise that makes or breaks a show. Buffy is built on a one-note premise - a smartass teen "chosen one" who kills vamps. Strip away all the fun stuff, and you know that she's going to kill a vamp/demon every week.

So, your logic is inherently flawed...Buffy successfully expands on that premise by introducing meta-plots and exploring characers. G vs. E was in the process of doing the same thing when it was cancelled.

The "success" of that show is very much in the mind of the beholder, my "logic" not withstanding. You need to learn the difference between "logic" and "taste". The "hip-cool" snarky stuff doesn't work with me.

Quote:
You didn't like G vs. E? Fine. . . move along. We're talking about why we did. Didn't you pull this same crap over in the "Children of Dune" thread?

Which "crap" did you mean? Not being willing to go along with letting these threads be one-sided and unadulterated "love-ins" for the tv-show, movie, or Hollywood personality under current discussion? Well, too bad if you don't like it. An "open forum" is just that. It is not, and cannot by definition be, restricted only to the "appreciators" of the topic at hand. I address what I see as the weaknesses---as well as strengths, where I find them---of any given programming or individual under discussion and will continue to do so. If you do not understand the concept of the open forum, you're the one who needs to "move along", pure and simple.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#23 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 10:30 AM

Quote:
The show definitely had a modicum of charm to it, but for those of us who were around in the seventies, a lot that charm was "old hat", informed by "retrocool" that we'd seen and heard before, not the "innovation" some people here think it is.

I don't think think anyone here mentioned anything about it being "innovative", we just thought it was a great show and deserved a better fate. I was around through all of the seventies by the way, and old hat or no, G vs. E used it's "retrocool" with style and aplomb.

Quote:
I believe I saw all the episodes at least once. (Some of them more than once.)

Well then your statement of not remembering anything that wasn't tainted by the jokiness of the writing is suspect as I just watched two serious episodes in a row with barely a joke to be found. And if memory serves, I have a couple more in store coming up.

Quote:
Which "crap" did you mean? Not being willing to go along with letting these threads be one-sided and unadulterated "love-ins" for the tv-show

I agree. That poster is in error as this thread was started for people who remember the show, not loved it.

#24 of 24 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 02:31 PM

Brian Kaz wrote (post #23):

Quote:
Well then your statement of not remembering anything that wasn't tainted by the jokiness of the writing is suspect as I just watched two serious episodes in a row with barely a joke to be found. And if memory serves, I have a couple more in store coming up.

Well, let me clarify what I mean: When I say "jokiness", I mean that I think the show had a lot of "eye-winking" at the audience from week to week. Maybe you don't agree, but if one concede me the point, then you may understand that I said what I said because I'm in the camp that believes you can't do that sort of thing on a regular basis and then become all serious in one or two episodes and still be taken seriously. Some of the sitcoms have tried to do it over the years---loud-mouthed characters who "rank" on each other from week to week suddenly grow "lovy-dovy" when one of them has a cancer scare or some such in a single episode. In my opinion, you can't undo that kind of thing for one week or two out of a whole season or run of a show. It just doesn't work. I know I can't take such things seriously.

Let me further explain something else I said earlier that I had meant to expand upon before for clarity's sake:

post #3

Quote:
. . . this show was one in a long list of "genre" shows that has "CANCELLED" written all over it at first sight. I sure could see it.

That shouldn't necessarily be taken to mean I was saying it was a bad show. I thought---or came to think---it was mostly mediocre and tedious, but that's beside the point (and, in any event, something one couldn't know about it on a regular weekly basis "at first sight"). I meant by what I said originally that I could see from one episode that the program wouldn't have any long-term wide appeal and therefore would meet with an early (if not premature) cancellation. I would have said this about it even if I had found it to be a great show. And that applies to a number of "genre" shows I've seen, including Special Unit 2, which I liked very much. A little voice inside my head goes off and says: "This ain't gonna last long!" Nine times out of ten, it's been right.
"Delenda est . . . . "

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow