Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Remember G vs. E (aka Good versus Evil)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:54 AM

"A man torn from his family...only to be resurrected as an agent of the almighty CORP.

With no special skills, Chandler Smythe and Henry McNeil fight to save lost souls."

It's a battle between good versus evil. G vs. E...That's what it is!"

I was going through my VHS collection the other day and found all the episodes to G vs. E, so I started watching one a night. I had forgotten what a great show this was. A great mix of satire and camp set to a techno beat with rapid fire pacing and, of course, Morlock slaying. The main cast was absolutely perfect together. Ford & Decker rule!

I mean, how can you possibly go wrong with a show that has episode titles like:

"Gee, Your Hair Smells Evil"

and

"Men are From Mars, Women Are Evil"

My personal favorite episode is "The Mission", where it begins with Smythe waking up and realizing he'd been stuck in a coffin and buried alive. One of the best episodes of any show I have ever seen. Where else can you see Emmanuel Lewis strapped to explosives and then accidentally blown up?

It's a shame this show only lasted 22 episodes, but that's to be expected when a show moves to the SciFi channel. I would cut a faustian deal in a second to get this show on DVD!

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:17 AM

Brian,

I have never heard of this show (or at least I don't remember it) but it sounds interesting. I looked at the web page on the SciFi channel site (http://www.scifi.com/goodvsevil/), but the way it is divided into "Good" and "Evil" just confused me. Can you explain more about it?

Thanks,
Jeremy

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:46 AM

Brian Kaz wrote (post #1):

Quote:
It's a shame this show only lasted 22 episodes, but that's to be expected when a show moves to the SciFi channel.

Maybe it was moved there because its network bosses thought that that was the only place it would find a consistent receptive audience.

Quote:
. . . how can you possibly go wrong with a show that has episode titles like: "Gee, Your Hair Smells Evil"

Well, your question is partly answered within itself, along with your description of the show as "a great mix of satire and camp . . . ."

It's entirely too easy to blame the SciFi Channel for its demise, since this show was one in a long list of "genre" shows that has "CANCELLED" written all over it at first sight. I sure could see it.

The problem is that the premises for such shows are just so powerful that they overwhelm the viewer's willing suspension of disbelief from the get-go. That kind of strong fantastic premise may work well for a single movie or miniseries, but, in my opinion, is too fantastic to be delivered week after week after week without becoming diluted and just plain silly-seeming. Making it "campy" and confused by putting in all the regular, formulaic demographic "hooks" ("contemporary" pop music of various sorts, "hip-cool" dialog, T&A, and the like) is only counterproductive for those of us who like their horror a little bit more on the serious side. And that tactic never really captures the casual audiences that would just as soon take their "camp" and T&A "straight, no chaser" (i.e., without fantastic premises). This has been shown over and over again by the precipitous ratings for such shows (if they manage even to capture a notable audience in the first place).

I don't know; somehow Special Unit 2 seemed to deliver the same goods much better with just as incredible a premise, although, it, too, was doomed from the start (regardless of network affiliation).
"Delenda est . . . . "

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 10:38 AM

I'm pretty sure the show started on USA and then moved to SciFi. This is a show I would buy in a second on DVD!

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:29 PM

Quote:
Can you explain more about it?

The show is about a newspaper reporter who tries to help a guy getting roughed up in an alley one night only to find himself surrounded by demons who kill him. Next thing he knows, he's in an old office with two guys who tell him he is dead and is borderline Heaven/Hell for judgement. To help get him into Heaven, they say, he can become an agent in the Almighty CORP fighting to save people who have made deals with the Devil's minions (called Morlocks) to gain fame, fortune or power.

He decides to join so that he can watch over his son who has now lost his Dad as well as his mother some years earlier. The catch is, when in the CORP, you cannot have contact with people from your former life (they wouldn't recognize you either) and you cannot have sex. You also have no special powers and can only kill a Morlock with a special knife soaked in the blood of the innocent.

What made this premise great was the fact that he is assigned to the Hollywood division (no one would sell their soul there, would they? Posted Image

Quote:
since this show was one in a long list of "genre" shows that has "CANCELLED" written all over it at first sight. I sure could see it.

Trouble with this logic is the fact that it was a VERY well written show with funny and snappy dialogue and some good action, too. And like I said earlier, the cast was top-notch with awesome chemistry. I don't say it's campy as if it's a bad thing. The show never took itself too seriously but it still had those moments where the characters are asking themselves the big questions. They've even had some great full-on creepy horror episodes that expanded the myth behind Morlocks that I would love to have seen more of.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the show started on USA and then moved to SciFi.

That's exactly what happened. When it moved to SciFi, I believe it played as G vs. E for a few more episodes, then they decided to change it what it meant: Good Versus Evil.

I don't care what anyone says, behind Farscape, this was the best show on SciFi.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 03:31 PM

Was by far the funniest show of its time. The pilot was one of the better hours of television I've seen. And who can forget the infamouse cameo by Emmanuel Lewis as a Morlock? Of all the forgotten TV series that I'd like to see put out on disc (Brimstone, Millennium, Nowhere Man), this would have to be my first choice.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:22 PM

Quote:
I don't care what anyone says, behind Farscape, this was the best show on SciFi.

I can't argue with that. It was certainly one of the most promising shows that they had. Unfortunatly, they killed it, just like most of their shows. It is the reason why I can't get wrapped up in any of their tv shows, since they seem to suffer from premature deaths...

Jason

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:11 PM

I thought Good vs Evil was certainly the second best Sci-Fi network show ever (after Farscape).

Of course they shitcanned it.

They replaced it with 'The Invisible Man', which was halfway decent but not nearly as good.

Sci-Fi (Channel) sucks. Tremors? The Dream Team? Scare Tactics?

Sci-Fi (Channel) is dead to me.

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 09:55 PM

Quote:
They replaced it with 'The Invisible Man', which was halfway decent but not nearly as good.

The funny thing was the Invisible Man had a very similar quality to it. That same kind of borderline campy cool mix of action and humor to it. They should have put the shows in a block together instead of cancelling the first, replacing it with the second which got the networks best ratings to date and then kill it too. You get the feeling that noone's at the wheel there.
Brad Grenz
the Widgets

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 03:03 AM

And people wonder why I'm frustrated with Sci-Fi. Posted Image It is this haphazard, lack of a plan, lack of developing shows that has caused me to write off the station. It isn't just Farscape I'm frustrated about.

Jason

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 05:47 AM

There are enough episodes (and the final episode could work as a FINAL episode) that the powers that be should put out a DVD box set.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 04 2003 - 06:14 AM

This show ruled. I would also buy it on DVD. It's biggest problem, aside from being buried by USA and then SciFi, is that it came out around the same time as Buffy. Buffy was a HUGE hit, and this suffered for it. They were just too similar in tone and attitude.

Deacon Jones as the celestial badass who taught you how to head slap a demon to the ground? You just can't find that anywhere on TV!!!!

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Deacon Jones as the celestial badass who taught you how to head slap a demon to the ground? You just can't find that anywhere on TV!!!!

My favorite Deacon moment(from "Men are from Mars, Women are Evil):

Henry: You better watch it, Chan. If Deacon ever finds out you're messing with Cherry...

[Cut to Deacon at his office desk]

Deacon: Roses are red, violets are blue. Have sex in the CORP- and I'm gonna break...yo'...neck!

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 10:09 AM

post #3:

Quote:
. . . since this show was one in a long list of "genre" shows that has "CANCELLED" written all over it at first sight. I sure could see it.

Brian Kaz wrote (post #5):

Quote:
Trouble with this logic is the fact that it was a VERY well written show with funny and snappy dialogue and some good action, too.

The "trouble" with your statement is that it reports opinion---yours---and not "fact". My opinion ("fact") is that, as clever as some of the dialog was, it couldn't save the program from its fundamental weaknesses, especially its inevitable and predictable monotony. It was based on a powerful one-note premise that tired quickly after about three weeks. Once you stripped away the infrequent and dramatically thin family-life scenes and the standard cop-crooks car/motorcycle chases, you knew that there was a "Morlock" to kill every week etc., etc., etc. . Ho-hum. Having some retro-'70s "cool" dialog and "funky" music couldn't hide that.

Quote:
I don't say it's campy as if it's a bad thing.

I do!

Quote:
They've even had some great full-on creepy horror episodes that expanded the myth behind Morlocks. . . .

Funny how the memory works. I remember nothing that wasn't tainted by the overall jokiness of the writing. Some of the jokes worked some of the time, but, regardless, the premise soon grew stale.

Quote:
The show never took itself too seriously but it still had those moments where the characters are asking themselves the big questions.

"Will I stay on Earth and kill Morlocks again next week? Or, will I bite the big "retirement" plan and float off to heaven (or the other place)?" Realllly big! Really "deep". That show wasn't the only party that didn't take it seriously, and rightfully so. A predictable misfire, as I said.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 04:06 PM

Quote:
especially its inevitable and predictable monotony...you knew that there was a "Morlock" to kill every week etc., etc., etc.

Uh, any show stripped down to it's base is just that: monotonous. A cop show is going to have cops chasing crooks, a hospital drama is going to have doctors trying to save lives, the Enterprise is going to come in contact with a good/bad alien race. You're talking like this show was about the same thing over and over when it was far from it.

In one season worth of episodes you had:

Posted Image Chandler buried alive and no one knows where he is

Posted ImageChan and Henry are stuck on a jet-liner with no one at the wheel

Posted ImageChan's son is kidnapped and set to be crushed in an auto-smasher if he doesn't come up with an item in very little time

Posted ImageHenry gives into an acting temptation and cuts a faustian deal himself (the ultimate no-no)

Posted ImageHenry is captured and Chan has to infiltrate CORP headquarters to download secret info on all CORP agents to get him released.

Posted ImageHenry encounters the man who killed him

Posted ImageHenry and Chan have to rescue an undercover CORP agent inside a Morlock stronghold

These are just some examples. I could go on and on. Call me crazy, but in those few examples, all the circumstances were completely different. How many shows did you actually watch anyway? I would think that being such a strong dissenter means you've only seen a couple at most. After all, you wouldn't keep watching a show you didn't like, right?

Quote:
Funny how the memory works. I remember nothing that wasn't tainted by the overall jokiness of the writing.

Yes it is funny. Luckily, I don't need a good memory since I have the episodes and there are at least three episodes that are quite serious. One being Henry meeting his killer, the second being the Morlock myth episode I spoke of earlier where Henry becomes an ancient Morlock and the third where Chandler's old friend is wanting to commit suicide now that Chan and his sister are dead.

Quote:
"Will I stay on Earth and kill Morlocks again next week? Or, will I bite the big "retirement" plan and float off to heaven (or the other place)?" Realllly big! Really "deep".

Again, you obviously have not seen a lot of this show.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 05 2003 - 05:56 AM

My opinion ("fact") is that, as clever as some of the dialog was, it couldn't save the program from its fundamental weaknesses, especially its inevitable and predictable monotony. It was based on a powerful one-note premise that tired quickly after about three weeks. Once you stripped away the infrequent and dramatically thin family-life scenes and the standard cop-crooks car/motorcycle chases, you knew that there was a "Morlock" to kill every week etc., etc., etc. . Ho-hum. Having some retro-'70s "cool" dialog and "funky" music couldn't hide that.

"Suffering" from a one-note premise is the "weakness" of every TV show. It is how they explore and expand upon that premise that makes or breaks a show. Buffy is built on a one-note premise - a smartass teen "chosen one" who kills vamps. Strip away all the fun stuff, and you know that she's going to kill a vamp/demon every week.

So, your logic is inherently flawed...Buffy successfully expands on that premise by introducing meta-plots and exploring characers. G vs. E was in the process of doing the same thing when it was cancelled.

You didn't like G vs. E? Fine...move along. We're talking about why we did. Didn't you pull this same crap over in the "Children of Dune" thread?

Where's the Deacon when you need him...

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 05:15 AM

I hope that if G vs E ever comes out on DVD the R-Rated version will prevail. I really liked the show because it felt like a cross between Pulp Fiction and Night Gallery. The dialogue was crisp and all the actors were likable.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:33 AM

The series' quirky style may not have been for everyone; it could range between hilarious situations to very touching moments (who can forget when Henry went home to his mother, played by Star Trek's Nichelle Nichols). Then there was the very stylish episode in the vein of Run Lola Run, in which Henry and Chandler had to save Chandler's son from being crushed in a junkyard compressor. The acting throughout the series was very well done, always being played fairly serious no matter what the situation.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Chuck Parker

Chuck Parker

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 12:59 AM

I loved this show when it was on! Interesting premise, and a really quirky style that I liked. To me, though, once it left USA for Sci-Fi (and dropped the G vs E for the less interesting "Good vs. Evil") it seemed to lose a lot of the quirky appeal that drew me to it (like the Dukes of Hazard style freeze frame commercial breaks and Deacon Jones narration, and the often inspired stunt casting). Still, at the time, it was probably the best thing on the SciFi channel at the time...

That said,I'd snap it up on DVD in a minute...

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 02:05 AM

This is one series that I would buy immediately on DVD in any region, even from PAL regions. With most series I at least wait a while for news of an R1 release.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow