-

Photo
- - - - -

Game Cube Broadband Question?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Giles

Mark Giles

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:04 AM

Are there any online-games out right now, besides that "Fantasy online..." game for GC? I just picked up a adaptor and curious on what's out there or what is coming out. Anyone know?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:06 AM

I don't think there's been a single solid announcement about anything supporting it other than PSO, has there? I'd love to be proved wrong on this.... :-/
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Philip_S

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 06:40 AM

The oft-rumored "World Smash" games are the likely suspects to be revealed at E3. But right now it's just rumors

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
The oft-rumored "World Smash" games are the likely suspects to be revealed at E3.

Didn't a senior Ninty figure come out & say recently "no online Cube stuff" from Ninty at E3? Of course, it could be utter bollocks.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Travis Olson

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 07:24 AM

Yeah I had heard that Nintendo at least won't be producing any online games for awhile because they think it's too early. You gotta wonder if they aren't stuck in the 8-bit days by some of the hair-brain decisions they make.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   GlenHaag

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor

• 973 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:06 AM

Has anyone made a profit off of online gaming via consoles? Is there a truely profitable and viable way of doing this yet?

I think Nintendo is doing the smartest possible thing by waiting to see how Sony and Micrsoft run their online operations and by learning from their mistakes.

Just my thoughts.

Glen

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
Has anyone made a profit off of online gaming via consoles? Is there a truely profitable and viable way of doing this yet?

No, but America Online sure took a phat loss in the early 90's when no one had internet access and eBay/Amazon didn't turn a profit for years. I see your point, but gaining market share in the online console gaming world is the name of the game right now, the profits come later.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:23 PM

Quote:
Has anyone made a profit off of online gaming via consoles?
Sure, Sega with Phantasy Star Online. Also, profits don't necessarily come through charging for the online service. Adding an online component to a game boosts the playability factor & sales of the game.

-Dave
DVD List

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
to a game boosts the playability factor & sales of the game.

Yes it does, but it also adds more development time and a much harder approval process.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   DaveKahler

DaveKahler

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 05:05 AM

Online console gaming won't necessarily ever take off, which is why Nintendo doesn't want to take a loss to gain some market share. Most console gamers are much less hardcore folk than PC gamers.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
Online console gaming won't necessarily ever take off, which is why Nintendo doesn't want to take a loss to gain some market share.

It's a gamble either way. Personally, I hope you're wrong, Dave, I love XBox Live and would be thrilled to see a similar move by Nintendo. But, they could be right. Of course, this is the same company that released the "Virtual Boy," so maybe they know a thing or two about futuristic games.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yes it does, but it also adds more development time and a much harder approval process
That doesn't mean that the benefits are negated though. It's just a factor in the cost vs. benefit analysis.

-Dave
DVD List

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 05:21 PM

Making a good game usually adds more development time too.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 03:28 AM

This E3, if Nintendo announces Mario Kart (the holy grail of all possible online Nintendo games) with no online capability, I think that would be a good sign that we will be waiting a long time for solid online support from the big N.

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow