Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

3channel Amp vs. 5 Channel amp?!?!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Trevor-H

Trevor-H

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:16 AM

Hi, I'm looking to move towards seperates and I was wanting educated input on the subject. I have around $2k - $3k to spend on the amp alone and was wondering if it was better to get a higher quality 2/3 channel amp to run the fronts/center for now and let a reciever run the surrounds (I only have 5.1) or if I should just make the plunge and get a 5 channel amp to drive all of them??? Brands looking at: Aragon/ Sherbourn/ Lexicon/ Bryston/ Rotel/ Parasound I don't mind buying used at all, and I'd like my setup to last me at least 5 years or so. Thanks for any input, Trevor

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Tommy_N

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 11:11 AM

I'm in the same position as you, although my budget is slightly less, give or take I'd like to spend $1,500. IMO for my price range I would be better off getting a quality 3 channel amp. However for your price range I would probably go with a 5 channel amp, especially if you do pre-owned. Some questions to ask yourself: What type of receiver are you using? Does it have enough power? How do the rear channels sound? Are you into multi-channel music. If so you might want the 5 channel amp. For soundtracks IMO it is not as necessary. How sensitive are your speakers? If they are really sensitive and/or if you have a small room you can get a lowered power amp and save some $$ HTH Tom

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Amir

Amir

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 09:51 AM

Look for a used Parasound 2205 (~1300). Compared to the amp in a denon receiver (2800) it is a huge difference. Compared to other amps 2 or 3 time the price, your are 90% there. I have compared it to rotel 5x100 and saw very little difference between the amp in the receiver and the rotel - rotel went back. If you have money left by a good 2 channel pre amp (try a tube) for only music. The pre will make another huge difference. good luck. Amir

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 09:59 AM

You can find a Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 channel in the $2000 range and a 3 Channel Cinenova in the $1100 range. Read the reviews on this amp and pole what people on this and other forums think about it and I think you see the Cinenova's have an excellent reputation. Cheers,
R. Kaufmann
My DVD Profiler Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users