What's new

3channel Amp vs. 5 Channel amp?!?! (1 Viewer)

Trevor-H

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm looking to move towards seperates and I was wanting educated input on the subject. I have around $2k - $3k to spend on the amp alone and was wondering if it was better to get a higher quality 2/3 channel amp to run the fronts/center for now and let a reciever run the surrounds (I only have 5.1) or if I should just make the plunge and get a 5 channel amp to drive all of them???

Brands looking at: Aragon/ Sherbourn/ Lexicon/ Bryston/ Rotel/ Parasound
I don't mind buying used at all, and I'd like my setup to last me at least 5 years or so.

Thanks for any input,
Trevor

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same position as you, although my budget is slightly less, give or take I'd like to spend $1,500.

IMO for my price range I would be better off getting a quality 3 channel amp. However for your price range I would probably go with a 5 channel amp, especially if you do pre-owned.

Some questions to ask yourself:

What type of receiver are you using? Does it have enough power? How do the rear channels sound?

Are you into multi-channel music. If so you might want the 5 channel amp. For soundtracks IMO it is not as necessary.

How sensitive are your speakers? If they are really sensitive and/or if you have a small room you can get a lowered power amp and save some $$

HTH

Tom

Amir

Agent
Look for a used Parasound 2205 (~1300). Compared to the amp in a denon receiver (2800) it is a huge difference. Compared to other amps 2 or 3 time the price, your are 90% there. I have compared it to rotel 5x100 and saw very little difference between the amp in the receiver and the rotel - rotel went back. If you have money left by a good 2 channel pre amp (try a tube) for only music. The pre will make another huge difference. good luck.

Amir

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
You can find a Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 channel in the $2000 range and a 3 Channel Cinenova in the $1100 range. Read the reviews on this amp and pole what people on this and other forums think about it and I think you see the Cinenova's have an excellent reputation.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks