What's new

How effective are billboards? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I commute 100 miles/day and I see TONS of billboards. Since most of my commute is stop and go traffic, I usually don't have more than 1 second to read the billboards. This one billboard got me thinking...It was for Miller Beer. They showed a line drawing of this woman in a bathing suit...the entire picture was black and white, except her hair was the color of beer (an amber color with the bubbles) and her bathing suit had the Miller logo (in color). Now, the ad got my attention, but when I saw that it was a beer ad, I immediately thought of my favorite beer (which isn't Miller). So I thought it was funny that Miller was strengthening my passions for their competition. :D

Also, Another billboard was for this Bedding company (Sleepy's) and it said something like
If you buy anything, BUY a Sleepy's, it's not good
:eek: Woah! What a completely different message! :) I realize I read it wrong, but that's why I wondered if billboards really have a positive effect?

I can't say that any of them have really influenced me to buy anything. Has anyone ever had a billboard influence their decision on something?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wendy's - 2 miles - exit 42. :D

Other than the ones for restaurants, none of them convince me to buy their product(s).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
"I know that half of my advertising dollars are wasted. The trouble is, I don't know which half."

John Wannamaker, pioneering retailer

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with ThomasC. Pretty much the only time billboards work for me is when I'm travleing and looking for somewhere decent to eat. And that's probably about 0.25% of the time. So their advertising dollars aren't working on me typically.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was going to write something about how the Restaurant ads are effective, but those are more effective when you're far from home.

I tend to see a LOT of car dealership ads as well. I think: Does someone really see this sign and think "I need to buy a car!" :laugh:

The other thing that prompted me to think write this thread was the billboard I saw for the actual billboard company...you know the ones:
Use a sick day and come skiing
and I guess a lot of people started calling out sick so the state of CT banned the signs :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I tend to see a LOT of car dealership ads as well. I think: Does someone really see this sign and think "I need to buy a car!" :laugh:
These things work on a subconsious level, to dismiss them as you are is to grossly underestimate the power of commercials. There is a reason companies pour millions of bucks in advertisement: It works.

Off course, I could just pretend that I am smarter than everyone else and say ads/billboards/commercials have no effect on me.

--
Holadem

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Billboards aren't generally that effective in and of themselves, but can work well to reinforce the other media in the campaign. We find that radio usually gives us the biggest bang for our buck. Targeted direct mail also works well. but we usually add print, billboards and bus kings into the mix. They all work together.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Does someone really see this sign and think "I need to buy a car!" :lol
No, but when the time comes for you to buy a car, the hope is that you'll remember the billboard.

Signs near the place being advertised are also helpful. Haven't you ever been on your way to a store to buy something and seen a billboard for a competing store on the way - and pulled off to check the prices at the competition? I know I've done this, especially when heading out somewhere I don't shop very often, because there'll be a billboard for a new store, or at least one I hadn't heard of before. The last time I was car shopping I noticed several billboards for different dealerships with addresses on the same street and made a point of hitting that area because I would be able to check out lots of makes and models in that one little area pretty quickly. Ended up buying from one of them, so I guess the billboards "worked".

Regards,

Joe

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billboards are illegal in Vermont, so they have no affect on me. :D

I must say I do sort of appreciate them when I'm traveling in unfamiliar areas, however, as a source of information and directions than actual advertising.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I don't like 'em because they distract me too much. I realize that's the intent, but sometimes all the glitter and small print makes me a wreckless driver. I desperately want to know what it says so I spend too long trying to read it, thus taking my concentration off of the road. I do my best to not even look at them that way I can stay sane.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Now, the ad got my attention, but when I saw that it was a beer ad, I immediately thought of my favorite beer (which isn't Miller). So I thought it was funny that Miller was strengthening my passions for their competition
Well the advertisement worked. Regardless if you don't go buy Miller or Miller Lite, it reminds of you a beer and then you might buy one of their other products. Also, the industry as a whole benefits, even if you don't buy a Miller product. It promotes the consumption of beer, which helps them in a passive way in general.

Go marketing.

Oh and I live in Atlanta. The 2nd worst Commuter Hell in the US. So I don't have time to look at Billboards, or anything, except the crazy idiots next to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks