What's new

Poster for What a Girl Wants Censored!! (1 Viewer)

PolloDiablo

Auditioning
Warner Bros. in all their infinite wisdom has decided that this poster for the upcoming Amanda Bynes film What a Girl Wants is not proper at the moment and therefore will be censored.

They are afraid that the peace sign will be misinterpreted as a sign of protest against the war, so on the new posters her hand will be placed at her side as to not cause any confusion. I have seen some pretty stupid stuff before, but this easily takes the cake. How the hell is a peace sign supposed to mistaken as a war protest, is peace now politically incorrect??

See the article here

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/sto...-7326629c.html

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
it's like the radio chain that stopped playing imagine after 9/11.
Some CEO idiot came up with it.. at least it is harmless compared to the Enron crooks

James D S

Screenwriter
If you are in the business to make money and not controversy, like WB is, it seems like the right thing to do.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
:rolleyes:Yep...not only can WB not get either a Batman or Supes movie goin...but they censor stupid things...

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm probably more pro-what's-going-on-in-Iraq than a lot of people on HTF and I see absolutely no problems with this poster. The "V" sign can mean a lot of things - peace, victory, friendship - and even if itdoes mean "peace", there are several levels to that as well.

Warner, let's not get TOO overly-sensitive. :rolleyes

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
If I were to literally interpret this poster, I would immediately assume that "What A Girl Wants" is sex with two men dressed as royal guards (represented by two fingers, two guards).

It's assinine to make such an announcement, no one would care if you just changed it without making a big deal out of it, sheesh!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
1) The poster isn't being censored. Warner Brothers is making a BUSINESS decision.

2) It's totally moronic.

3) No one cares.

4) It has nothing to do with peace being a "bad" concept and everything to do with Warner Brothers wanting to ensure NOTHING affects the profit of their films.

It's the same mentality that gets us the BIG HEAD DVD covers.

Take care,
Chuck

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Chuck. It isn't censorship if it's self imposed. It's a big deal out of nothing.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm feeling a little deja-vu, like we've had this discussion before.

...I agree with Chuck.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
I think at any rate,its moronic in any case,and Im getting sick and tired of people being "hurt" and "upset" when they take things like this to the extreame,and every little thing ticks them off,or gets them upset.Like seeing the twin towers in films,,SO WHAT,,yet they took them out ,,That blows me away,I had friends die in the attack,and it does NOTHING by doing things like that. Same with this,,But I dont Care,,there doing it on a poster of a suretobestupid movie. So whatever.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Maybe WB did it to give the movie more attention. I can see people going to a movie theater, not knowing what to see, and say "Hey that's the flick where they changed the poster. I wonder if that's any good?".

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I've been seeing the above poster plastered all over the subways in New York. Why did they wait till now to pull them?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You know, at first sight, I thought the poster conveyed a "proud" atittude, if anything. Kind of like saying "Yeah, were being criticized a lot lately, and I'm still wearing the flag and giving a victory sign, so there". And no, it didn't "offend" me in any way, despite my anti-war position. To think that people on either side of the fence could be offended by such a harmless poster is ridiculous.

If I gave two craps about a movie starring Amanda Bynes, I might make an alternate cover for the DVD featuring the original, soon to be censored, poster. But alas, I don't :D

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
You know that it could also be a paid advertisement for Verizon Wireless. ;)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
While this is a far cry from censorship, since it's Warner's own poster and it's not possible to censor yourself, I live in L.A. and this poster remains unchanged at half the bus shelters in the city AND ON THE GIANT BANNER HANGING FROM THE WARNER BROTHERS BUILDING ON PASS AVENUE IN BURBANK, plainly visible for all the world to see! Just an hour ago I passed it on the way to work, hanging there in all its glory, so apparently they're not all that concerned about it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It actually is more turning into a publicity ploy for a movie that looks like it will be an absolute dog.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm... can you say April Fools?

Bill S

Edited to add:

Nope... byline on the story is April 2nd... I stand corrected.... Truth is definitely stranger than fiction!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Are you guys forgetting that people actually wanted Peter Jackson to change the name of The Two Towers after 9/11? That was so freaking dumb to even suggest it's not even feasable to imagine!

As for this, there's a huge billboard that I see everyday on my way to work with her giving the 'V' sign and I hope it stays that way. Amanda Bynes was on the radio the other morning and she said that her charactor was somewhat of a hippie girl, so it seems appropriate for her charactor to give the 'V' sign.

This world is waaay too sensitive about things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks