Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Poster for What a Girl Wants Censored!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   PolloDiablo

PolloDiablo

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:51 PM

Warner Bros. in all their infinite wisdom has decided that this poster for the upcoming Amanda Bynes film What a Girl Wants is not proper at the moment and therefore will be censored.

Posted Image

They are afraid that the peace sign will be misinterpreted as a sign of protest against the war, so on the new posters her hand will be placed at her side as to not cause any confusion. I have seen some pretty stupid stuff before, but this easily takes the cake. How the hell is a peace sign supposed to mistaken as a war protest, is peace now politically incorrect??

See the article here

http://www.sacbee.co....-7326629c.html

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:43 PM

it's like the radio chain that stopped playing imagine after 9/11.
Some CEO idiot came up with it.. at least it is harmless compared to the Enron crooks
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   James D S

James D S

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:48 PM

If you are in the business to make money and not controversy, like WB is, it seems like the right thing to do.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 10:05 PM

Posted Image Yep...not only can WB not get either a Batman or Supes movie goin...but they censor stupid things...

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:29 PM

Well, I'm probably more pro-what's-going-on-in-Iraq than a lot of people on HTF and I see absolutely no problems with this poster. The "V" sign can mean a lot of things - peace, victory, friendship - and even if itdoes mean "peace", there are several levels to that as well.

Warner, let's not get TOO overly-sensitive. Posted Image

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:31 PM

If I were to literally interpret this poster, I would immediately assume that "What A Girl Wants" is sex with two men dressed as royal guards (represented by two fingers, two guards).

It's assinine to make such an announcement, no one would care if you just changed it without making a big deal out of it, sheesh!

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,997 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:21 AM

1) The poster isn't being censored. Warner Brothers is making a BUSINESS decision.

2) It's totally moronic.

3) No one cares.

4) It has nothing to do with peace being a "bad" concept and everything to do with Warner Brothers wanting to ensure NOTHING affects the profit of their films.

It's the same mentality that gets us the BIG HEAD DVD covers.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:44 AM

I agree with Chuck. It isn't censorship if it's self imposed. It's a big deal out of nothing.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 03:28 AM

I'm feeling a little deja-vu, like we've had this discussion before.

...I agree with Chuck.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Colin-H

Colin-H

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:05 AM

Maybe it’s a “victory” sign…
"At least Kurosawa doesn't give his samurai hairstyles that make them look like drug dealers from some intergalactic trailer park, as Mr. Lucas did with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker."

DVD List | 2003 film list

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   DaveGR

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:48 AM

I think at any rate,its moronic in any case,and Im getting sick and tired of people being "hurt" and "upset" when they take things like this to the extreame,and every little thing ticks them off,or gets them upset.Like seeing the twin towers in films,,SO WHAT,,yet they took them out ,,That blows me away,I had friends die in the attack,and it does NOTHING by doing things like that. Same with this,,But I dont Care,,there doing it on a poster of a suretobestupid movie. So whatever.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,478 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:22 AM

It's only a poster. Why is this even of any concern?

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Chucky P

Chucky P

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationMound, MN

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:47 AM

Maybe WB did it to give the movie more attention. I can see people going to a movie theater, not knowing what to see, and say "Hey that's the flick where they changed the poster. I wonder if that's any good?".

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 06:33 AM

I've been seeing the above poster plastered all over the subways in New York. Why did they wait till now to pull them?

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 07:20 AM

You know, at first sight, I thought the poster conveyed a "proud" atittude, if anything. Kind of like saying "Yeah, were being criticized a lot lately, and I'm still wearing the flag and giving a victory sign, so there". And no, it didn't "offend" me in any way, despite my anti-war position. To think that people on either side of the fence could be offended by such a harmless poster is ridiculous.

If I gave two craps about a movie starring Amanda Bynes, I might make an alternate cover for the DVD featuring the original, soon to be censored, poster. But alas, I don't Posted Image

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:39 PM

You know that it could also be a paid advertisement for Verizon Wireless. Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:02 PM

While this is a far cry from censorship, since it's Warner's own poster and it's not possible to censor yourself, I live in L.A. and this poster remains unchanged at half the bus shelters in the city AND ON THE GIANT BANNER HANGING FROM THE WARNER BROTHERS BUILDING ON PASS AVENUE IN BURBANK, plainly visible for all the world to see! Just an hour ago I passed it on the way to work, hanging there in all its glory, so apparently they're not all that concerned about it.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:49 PM

It actually is more turning into a publicity ploy for a movie that looks like it will be an absolute dog.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Bill Street

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:46 PM

Ummm... can you say April Fools?

Bill S

Edited to add:

Nope... byline on the story is April 2nd... I stand corrected.... Truth is definitely stranger than fiction!

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted April 03 2003 - 06:52 PM

Are you guys forgetting that people actually wanted Peter Jackson to change the name of The Two Towers after 9/11? That was so freaking dumb to even suggest it's not even feasable to imagine!

As for this, there's a huge billboard that I see everyday on my way to work with her giving the 'V' sign and I hope it stays that way. Amanda Bynes was on the radio the other morning and she said that her charactor was somewhat of a hippie girl, so it seems appropriate for her charactor to give the 'V' sign.

This world is waaay too sensitive about things.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan