Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

4 ohm Speakers on VSX-45TX

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   James^Brian

• 29 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:38 PM

I'm a newbie to this Home Theater realm, and have read the posts trying to learn as much as I can. To begin my system, I bought the receiver first, the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. Now I am trying figure out which speakers to buy for a 5.1 initial set-up. I really like the Vienna Accoutics--Bach's and Waltz for front and surround sound speakers. The only problem is that the Waltz need 4 ohm (spelled correctly??), and from what I can tell my receiver doesn't have a set-up to drive speakers below 6 ohm. Will I hurt reciever or speakers (or both) if I set up 4ohm speakers up to this reciever. Is my only option if I want to drive 4ohm speakers is to buy an amp and use the pre-outs?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:58 PM

I was using my Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX to drive my Lsi speakers which are also rated at 4 ohms. The receiver ran a lot hotter than normal so I added a 7 channel Outlaw amp. Check out this thread.
http://www.hometheat....ht=outlaw 7100

You might want to do a search in the Receivers/Seperates/Amps section on this subject as well, it was been covered in great detail in previous threads.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 19,050 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:33 AM

James, Welcome to the forum. Although (with some care) it's not impossible to drive 4 Ohms speakers from an 8 Ohm amp, it's not advisable, certainly not when you start. I think it would be wise in your case to look around and find a nice set of 8 Ohms speakers. There are plenty! Cees

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   James^Brian

• 29 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:10 PM

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the comments and link. For the time being, I'll try and find some good 8 ohm speakers that I enjoy. Just as a side note, I don't think I can pass up on getting an SVS sub, the raves on here are amazing. That'll be my next purchase. The HTF and the people here are great, taking the time to reply to posts and sharing ones expertise, is what makes it work so well. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users