What's new

4 ohm Speakers on VSX-45TX (1 Viewer)

James^Brian

Agent
I'm a newbie to this Home Theater realm, and have read the posts trying to learn as much as I can. To begin my system, I bought the receiver first, the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. Now I am trying figure out which speakers to buy for a 5.1 initial set-up. I really like the Vienna Accoutics--Bach's and Waltz for front and surround sound speakers. The only problem is that the Waltz need 4 ohm (spelled correctly??), and from what I can tell my receiver doesn't have a set-up to drive speakers below 6 ohm. Will I hurt reciever or speakers (or both) if I set up 4ohm speakers up to this reciever. Is my only option if I want to drive 4ohm speakers is to buy an amp and use the pre-outs?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
James,
Welcome!!
I was using my Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX to drive my Lsi speakers which are also rated at 4 ohms. The receiver ran a lot hotter than normal so I added a 7 channel Outlaw amp. Check out this thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=outlaw+7100

You might want to do a search in the Receivers/Seperates/Amps section on this subject as well, it was been covered in great detail in previous threads.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
James,

Welcome to the forum.

Although (with some care) it's not impossible to drive 4 Ohms speakers from an 8 Ohm amp, it's not advisable, certainly not when you start.
I think it would be wise in your case to look around and find a nice set of 8 Ohms speakers. There are plenty!

Cees

James^Brian

Agent
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the comments and link. For the time being, I'll try and find some good 8 ohm speakers that I enjoy. Just as a side note, I don't think I can pass up on getting an SVS sub, the raves on here are amazing. That'll be my next purchase.

The HTF and the people here are great, taking the time to reply to posts and sharing ones expertise, is what makes it work so well. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks