What's new

Aragon or Sherbourne For A Newbie (1 Viewer)

Thomas P.

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I am going to buy a 7 channel amp before I get married and I'm gonna buy it in the next month but I don't know anything about them. A local dealer has the 7 channel Aragon with the fancy blue light but I don't know anything about them. I will eventually get a preamp too. I talked to Ron Hope at Sherbourne and he just about had me sold. Does any one have any thoughts or experiences with either amp?

RajeeK

Second Unit
I personally went with the Sherbourn because I really liked it true monoblock design. It's weight of around 115lbs also sold me. Now that's one heavy well built mofo. I havn't heard much about the Aragon, but they are a well regarded company with great amps also. Sorry I can't be of too much help, but either way you will certainly come out a winner.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I would go with the 7 channel sherbourn over the new Aragon 2007. Now, if you are talking the classic Aragons like 8008x5 and 8000BB, those are like dream amps, but no blue lights :D

Thomas P.

Stunt Coordinator
The fancy blue light is not a selling point. I want the amp that will make a difference that I can appreciate. I've read that some 7 channel amps are stretched out 5 channel amps. Is this true of the Aragon?

RajeeK

Second Unit
The fancy blue light is not a selling point. I want the amp that will make a difference that I can appreciate. I've read that some 7 channel amps are stretched out 5 channel amps. Is this true of the Aragon?
Well the 7 channel Aragon weighs in at 49lbs and the 5 channel at 46lbs. So to me it looks like it is just a stretched out 5 as you mentioned. That doesn't necessarily make it bad, but it may not have the power reserves the 5 channel may have. Need I mention the 115lb Sherbourn again - Hernia city baby. You got my vote.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm a huge aragon fan, but i would probably advise you to look into getting the sherbourn amp as well. the classic aragon amps are outstanding (i have a pair of palladium ii monoblocks and an 8008x3b - 230 lbs. of amplification which is hernia metropolis :D). the newer aragon amps seem to based more along the lines of the older acurus line which was good but not up to the "aragon" name back then. klipsch bought out mondial (acurus and aragon's parent company) and now they sell only under the aragon flag. now, the newer aragon palladium 1k and 8008 mkII are still up to par when compared to the classic models. in fact, the palladium ii monos i own are the exact same internally as the palladium 1k, the only difference is the case. with the brief history lesson out of the way, go for the sherbourn.

kevin t

Thomas P.

Stunt Coordinator
Gentlemen, can't express enough how much I appreciate your getting me some clarity. Aragon's website says that they use "Smartpower" to drive power where it's needed most. What do you think of that?

JackS

Supporting Actor
After owning many amps of many different brands over the years, I'd suggest you shop for price. Of all the amps I've owned, I can honestly say I've enjoyed every one of them. Amps are the one thing in audio that last literlly a lifetime. Since you will be in the market for a preamp soon, you might want to consider deciding on which pre/pro first, therefore, the amp you buy will physically match if thats important to you. Not necessary though. Many nice amps at reasonable prices from major mfg's are hundreds of dollars less than others that will serve the purpose just as well and leave you with more than a few bucks to apply to something else.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Thomas, I have the Sherbourn 5/1500a and was sold on its mono block design and GREAT reviews all over the place. Ron Fone (I think thats the name) and his partner have very good reputations.

"Smartpower" is the same thing other companies call "power stearing" (Carver I think). What it means is one huge power transformer that is shared with all amp channels. This is by far the most prevailant amp design. As one channel demands extra power the amp is able to "stear" more power to that particular channel(s). The mono block design of the Sherbourn (and Bryston uses these) is a very different design. My amp uses a 400va transformer(2000va total) for each channel while a similar amp my just use one 2000va transformer for all channels.

gregD

Second Unit
Before jumping on any power amplifier, first put together some idea of your speaker system, and then start looking at amps which will most appropriately drive those loads.

Choice of speakers (arguably the most critical link in the audio chain) will have a amjor influence over your amp choices.

Yousaf

Second Unit
Charles:

I don't know if this is what you were saying but what Carver's Power Steering did was transfer MORE power than the amp is rated at cleanly into individual channels that demanded it. I looked into the Carver AV-705X, which was basically 125x5 watts, but could deliver 200 watts to a channel if it needed it. I don't know if the other Smartpower or whatever designs do the same thing or not. Another plus of the Carver (I think) was if you only used it as a stereo amp if would do the whole power steering thing to those two channels giving you more than 125 watts to each. Note that this is different from amps that exceed their rated power normally (eg 125 watt amp capable of delivering 150 watts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks