Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My SVS is here!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Chris Elm

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:44 PM

Woohoo. Posted Image
Ordered Saturday midday, and arrived to GA by Wednesday. Can't ask for better service.
I opted for the 25-31 PCi tuned to 22 HZ.
All I can say is WOW...
Only listened to music so far. For some reason there was no output when I hooked it up to my dads old pioneer receiver in the Subwoofer output.Posted Image

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Vince Chan

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:24 PM

Hey I got my new PC plus 20-39 earlier today too! WOW, what an awesome piece! I totally kills my old paradigm pw-2200 in both SPLs and accuracy. In contrast my pw2200 sounds like a sloppy midrange driver compared to my new SVS (and I'm not exaggerating!). I've tried it with music and movies (the Haunting and U571 were completely new experiences.. I had to take my movie poster frames off the wall 'cuz they were rattling so much I was afraid they were gonna fall off!) This is what real bass is supposed to sound like! This SVS is so fast and hard hitting that it can't even compare to a Servo-15, (which is a good fast sub, but there's no impact to it). I have never heard a better sub thats under $1000! Good work Tom and Ron! -Vince
About Me
My DVD Collection

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   John Dunlap

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:01 AM

Vince, I think your post is the one that will finally steer me towards purchasing the 2039 PC Plus. I'm also upgrading from the PW-2200 and I've been considering the PC PLus or the Servo 15. Heard a brief demo yesterday of the Servo 15 but just with music. I was not all that impressed but I'm also not sure the sales guy had everything set up right. Anyway, sounds like the PC PLus is the one for me.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   terence

terence

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:25 AM

Chris & Vince, welcome to the SVS Club i own a 20-39PC+ my self. A friend of mine fell in love with my sub and with in week he ordered a 20-39PC+!Posted Image It should be here today, he could not believe how the sub was performing that he said this is a must have in his dedicated HT as well. PC+ brought out a flaw in my HT, there was a stud in the wall that knock really hard at 25Hz it took three sheet rock screws to fix it. No more knocking just clean bass have fun new guys.Posted Image
Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music."

My Home Theater

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Edward J M

Edward J M

Screenwriter

• 2,031 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 03:05 AM

The Plus is one ass kicking sub. Clean, deep, musical, fast, and it hits like a linebacker. I still haven't found the limits of my 20-39PC+ and I run my system pretty hard for HT. My sub is calibrated 3-4 dB hot, and my room is 1800 ft3 and I hit 110-112 dB bass peaks at the listening position 10 feet from the sub. I know there's more left in the tank, but honestly I simply don't need to play it any louder! It has added immeasurably to the HT and music experience. John Dunlap - if you were on the fence - don't be. Take the plunge with confidence and you will not be disappointed. It might sound hokey, but I have so much confidence in this sub, I have recommended it (or the CS+) to several fellow enthusiasts and I have personally put my money where my mouth is, and offered to pay their return shipping fee if they weren't completely thrilled. I haven't had to pay out one dime yet, and I don't think I ever will. Regards, Ed
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations

SVS

www.svsound.com

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:36 AM

Chris,

Make sure you go into the receiver's setup routine and ensure it's told it has a subwoofer.

i.e. "Subwoofer=Yes" or whatever the selection would be on that receiver. I assume it's a Dolby Digital model?

How is your DVD player hooked up?

Drop us an e-mail if you are having trouble still getting bass with movies. We think music performance is as important as movies, but it shouldn't be the ONLY thing working! Let us know the model number and anything else you can think of about the setup.

Ron

rons@svsubwoofers.com
tomv@svsubwoofers.com

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   John Dunlap

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:54 AM

Ed, Thanks for the reinforcement. Can't ask for a much stronger endorsement than that! I'm sure that the PC Plus is an incredible sub (and the PCi too for that matter!). Just want to make sure I've covered all the bases by considering options like HSU, Paradigm Servo 15, etc. I can kind of tell by the lack of "B-Stock" product listed on SVS's website that Buyer's remorse is not common among SVS owners!

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   terence

terence

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:54 AM

[quote] The Plus is one ass kicking sub. Clean, deep, musical, fast, and it hits like a linebacker. I still haven't found the limits of my 20-39PC+ and I run my system pretty hard for HT. [quote]
I could not agree more with you Ed! Posted Image Posted Image I had my DTS LOTR version at insane volumes this past weekend my room is 4000 cubic ft and i hit 112db on the SPL meter! I sit 16ft away from the the sub, i don't think this thing will ever run of gas or i'm afraid to find out. That was the first time i pushed my system that hard since i had the 20-39PC+, i just can't get enough WOW FACTOR from this sub!

John get one in your home you wont regret it. i just hate it took me so long to get with the program & get one.
Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music."

My Home Theater

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Chris Elm

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 09:10 AM

I will check the setup of the receiver tonight when I get home. It is a really old Pioneer from about 1992 o somewhere around there. The manual only describes only ooking up a specified Pioneer sub, so maybe that has somthing to do with it, though that doesn't make sense.
When it didn't work, I took it upstairs for setup in my room. There is some clean bass to be had! I am running Klipsch RF3II mains with a Carver amp/Luxman preamp setup.

Only complaint thus far: out of the box, there was a slight ding on the outer edge of the grille port on top. No big deal, but I now know that my sub is cosmetically imperfect out of the box.Posted Image It's okay though, that is what it is there for, after all.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 09:57 AM

Chris, That's way before Dolby Digital and God only knows how Pioneer might have done a subwoofer output on a receiver like that (it might have even been Dolby Surround and not Dolby Pro Logic). With perfectly adequate Dolby Digital receivers now going for $150 or less, it might be time to convice dad to upgrade (if you even intend to run the sub with it). Alternatively, it's easy to hook up the sub so that you run the receiver's right and left speaker wires to the sub, then back to the right and left speakers themselves. It'll work great, as long as you have the receiver set up right (usually even way back then you could pick "Normal" or "Small" speakers. If it's a choice, pick "Small" for the center and rear if it was a DPL model). Not as good as a $150 DD receiver of course ;^). The bottom line is that you need to hook up a bit different if your dad is going to use the sub go with the speaker wire arrangement. I think you got it working right on your somewhat more modern system ;^) Ron

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Eric C D

Eric C D

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 02:35 AM

Ah!, the younger generation comes along. Soon it will be time for you guys to carry the torch. Posted Image Yeah, I don't post often, but I was enjoying reading your first-time stories, and made me think of what came next for me. This is for all you with new, strong, full-range subs, not just the SVS types.

Now that you have SPL meters and subs, consider running a low frequency sweep and looking for room nodes. If you find serious humps, consider equalization.

I was unable to turn up my PC(now "i")20-39 very far without overwhelming the room. I was awestruck at the power of what I was hearing. But once I tamed a nasty 40-60 hz hump, I was able to turn up the power more, and even more of the *really-low* LF energy was available. It was another quantum-leap forward in the experience. At first, I thought I had lost some of the power cause of an effect similar to that of "boomy" subs, but with the right material (e.g., the waterfall-charted stuff on the SVS website), my jaw dropped anew.

enjoy,

Eric

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   JimmyK

JimmyK

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 03:01 AM

[quote] I can even set you up with a custom Excel spreadsheet that automatically includes the RS correction factors - all you have to do is input the raw data and it will spit out your curve. [quote]
Is there somewhere I can download such a spreadsheet to use?

Thanks.
JimmyK

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Edward J M

Edward J M

Screenwriter

• 2,031 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 03:30 AM

It is my own design, free of charge to any SVS owner. For anyone else - $6,000. Posted Image

Honestly, it wasn't that hard to do and works really well and I will email it to anyone. There are other programs floating around out there that do the same thing, but I work in Excel often and wanted something homegrown.

It is based on the 1/12 octave 10-100 Hz sweep. Correction factors for each frequency are interpolated from known values available on the internet. You just punch in the raw data, and it adds the CF and provides the corrected value, and it plots the corrected value against the respective frequency - pretty basic Excel stuff. That particular version of the spreadsheet has 4 graphs for stock tune at 0/180 phase, and also lowered tune at 0/180 phase.

It's nice to see exactly what the phase control is doing for any particular tune and room configuration - sometimes it can give unexpected results and it's best to actually verify what phase setting works best in your room with your particular set-up.

If you want it, just post your email address and I'll zip it over to you tonight or tomorrow.

Regards,

Ed
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations

SVS

www.svsound.com

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users