What's new

Doom 3 for xbox when?? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
At this time, there's no official date for either it or the PC version.

Carmack made a comment last year about not wanting it to be the kind of game shown at lots of E3s, which people read as meaning it will be released before, or shortly after, this year's E3, but again, nothing formal has been announced.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
As with all iD games, it'll be out "when it's done".

But I wouldn't be surprised to see it make it out in time for Christmas. Of course I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out in Summer 2004, either.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
At least they release some screen shots and all, how about Duke Nukem?!? That one must be dead in the water.

James T

Screenwriter
Didn't they change the engine for Duke 4 Forever, again? I think they were using the Quake 2 engine to start, then switched to Unreal and I think I heard that they switched again to Quake 3. I'm not sure about the Quake 3, but I know they switched from Quake to Unreal.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Any extra version of Doom 3 I doubt will be out until a few months after the PC version. So once a release date is announced for that you can probably tack on a few and that'll give you a good idea.

Kami

Screenwriter
id Software has never shown a game at E3 twice and they say they never intend to. Looks like this will be a first (I highly doubt they'd just skip out on E3).

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't the Alpha of Doom 3 leaked sometime during the Fall season? If so, then wouldn't that mean it could be out soon?
The "leaked alpha" was only the four incomplete, unoptimized levels they showed at the last E3. To my knowledge, nothing else has "escaped".

James T

Screenwriter
I like the quotations. Is there some kind of conspiracy theory going around?

The last one I found interesting was when Harry Knowles got to see Star Wars: Ep 2, through his unnamed contacts months before anyone else did. The conspiracy was that Lucasfilm pretty much let Knowles view it so he can give a good review, which means an even larger crowd when the movie opened.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The conspiracy was that Lucasfilm pretty much let Knowles view it so he can give a good review, which means an even larger crowd when the movie opened
Actually, it turned out that this really WAS a "secret agent" as they prosecuted the guy for lifting stuff off the Lucasfilm servers about 2 months later

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I like the quotations. Is there some kind of conspiracy theory going around?
I just used the quotations because I don't consider what was leaked out re: Doom 3 even as much as an Alpha. It was more of a tech demo than anything else.

James T

Screenwriter
Well either way, Carmack was pissed about the whole situation. He probably fired up his rail gun and crucified the person that put it up on the net for download.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
All I can say, I can't wait for it to hit XBOX......I love that game...now if we can only get quake and duke with internet play that would be bad ass.....

R~

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
There is this rumor from theinquirer.net

THERE’S A NASTY FRIGHT circulating on the wibble wide web at the moment. Game players around the world are trembling. The rumour is that Microsoft is trying to persuade id to make Doom III an Xbox exclusive. But it may all just be another April 1 joke surfacing late.

It all started with the print issue of Wired or so some have been led to believe. We haven’t seen the issue in question so we can only report on what people who have a friend whose cousin saw it on the newstands are saying. The copy of Wired in question is, of course, the April issue. The article is nowhere to be seen on its site even though most of the main articles are there.

Where does that leave it? It’s certainly not unknown for console manufacturers to go after exclusives. It seems hugely doubtful that id would even consider dropping the PC version and Microsoft will be quite happy for the game to help push a new generation of technology forward on the Windows platform. Consoles are a different matter.

There can be no doubt that getting an exclusive on Doom III would be an amazing PR coup for any company. It would cost a fortune to do, a quick bit of guesstimation and we suspect that you’d be talking at least a $100million to persuade id to leave the Playstation 2 out of the running. That’s one heck of a big chunk of the PR budget to throw at it.

Is there any truth in the rumours? With something like this it’s difficult to tell. If it’s an April 1 story, it’s a good’un. If it’s not, expect it to be plastered all over the web within the next day or so.

JayV

Supporting Actor
The rumour is that Microsoft is trying to persuade id to make Doom III an Xbox exclusive ... It seems hugely doubtful that id would even consider dropping the PC version
Interesting info, Jason, but a console exclusive does not necessarily rule out a PC version (e.g., Halo).

Question: How likely is it that they would port Doom3 to the PS2 or GC with or without a deal?

-j

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Oh I definately don't see it being Xbox exclusive exclusive. PC version is definately coming. :)
It would be big kudos to MS and the Xbox though if the Xbox was the only console to get it.

Can't wait to see what happens at E3. Finally get to go this year. :D

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
It would be big kudos to MS and the Xbox though if the Xbox was the only console to get it.
I've always suspected the Xbox would be the only console to get it anyway. Maybe the GC could handle it, but I'd hate to see it on the PS2.

AFAIK Carmack has only discussed the Xbox version (which IIRC id is handling in-house) -- he didn't specifically preclude the possibility of PS2 or GC versions but he didn't act like they were a sure thing either.

Users who are viewing this thread