Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Somebody help me out here. (re: SciFi Channel's new "slate")

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:25 AM

This was too funny (or disgusting) to pass up.

Please look over the following "slate" at the provided URL's and tell me at least some of them are due to April Fool's Day pranks:

SciFi Wire: "SCI FI Gets Real"

dateline: April 2, 2003, 9:00 a.m.

[quote] [quote]
A "re-envisioning" of both versions of The Thing and what looks like a "rip-off" of The Ring (both versions)? Have they anything left to do worth doing?

I was laughing so hard at some of titles alone---forget about the summaries---that I couldn't believe they're serious. Are they?

It's scary not to be able to tell.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:04 AM

Well, as I said in the "Stargate: Atlantis" thread, it's tough to find any science fiction in there. Most of these, I think, are just pilot presentations, so it's not like they'll all actually be seen (notice there's little if any casting mentioned). It's worth noting that most of the series are X-Files wannabes, shows that don't require much in the way of elaborate sets or effects work and are set in the present day. (Remember that Boston Globe article, where Hammer wanted new shows "accessible"?) There are not-terrible ideas in here - "Life On Mars" could be interesting (although they'll never simulate low gravity), and I must admit that Dead Lawyers may be fun if they come up with a good fantasy world/backstory, rather than just make The Guardian and just tell you that the main character is dead.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:07 AM

Wow, what a great lineup. I'm a fan of Sci-Fi and ALL of that looks worthy to watch for me. Posted Image
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:55 PM

Jason Seaver wrote (post #2):

[quote] [quote]

Even with the accompanying "grinny", I'm not sure whether you're serious or not.

I honestly couldn't tell whether they were playing an April Fool's Day prank on the readers of the SciFi Wire Website, so I wanted to get others' opinions of it. Too bad they are apparently serious.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:47 PM

[quote] Even with the accompanying "grinny", I'm not sure whether you're serious or not. [quote]

Hey I'm the one with 2 $80 4' by 8' Ecks vs Sever banners hanging in my HT and Resident Evil and Equilibrium in my Top10 of all time.

Now you know I'm serious. Posted Image
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:14 AM

Lets see they are remaking Battlestar Galactica and they are remaking the Thing and made a TV show out of an OK movie Tremmors and a spinoff of Stargate??? Hmmm. They gave Farscape up for this???????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users