What's new

DVD Player in Vehicle (1 Viewer)

Ron Pinsonneault

Auditioning
Just received delivery on a 2003 Ford Expedition EB with DVD player. The kids watch and I listen while I am driving them from/to hockey, soccer, etc. It occured to me that I enjoy the sound through the 7 speakers and subwoofer in the car more than I do at home. Just awesome. One other tidbit, while sitting at a light last night, people in a big-ass Mercedes were actually gawking at a Ford vehicle!! :laugh:

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ron,

You are a no good, evil, un-American punk. How dare you drive that gas guzzling tank? Obviously, you hate all of the furry little animals and enjoy putting everyone around you in extreme danger. If you had any common sense, you would destroy that behemoth right now and drive your family around in an old Subaru instead.

[/sarcasm]

Really, your new toy sounds sweet. :emoji_thumbsup: I need to get a DVD player for my SUV. Sounds like great fun!

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I am about to set up my new Acura MDX with the following:

Flip-Down Screen on ceiling for back seat/third row seat.

Factory navigation system in dash will display DVD/TV for front row seat.

PS2 will be playable from both screens.

Plays through all 10 speakers (with DD DTS capability)

Rear-View camera (at license plate) will show on dash screen automatically when put into reverse.

Voice-Activated navigation will "cut out" sound and play through speakers automatically when needed.

TV will also play on both screens, and can be used on only one, while the other screen is used for DVD/PS2.

Wireless headphones able to operate separate or together with either screen/input.

Should makes trips alot of fun!!

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
David, that sounds awesome! Is this going to be a do-it-yourself project or are you having it professionally installed? What hardware are you installing? How much will it all cost (if you don't mind my asking)?

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to have it done, I do not have the time or inclination to tackle it.
The Voice-Activated navigation and rear-view camera and rear video screen are factory-installed items. (So no cost there).
Basically, it's just buying a tuner/unit that converts the nav screen to accept a video input. It also does the TV tuner job, and plays the DVDs. the unit costs about $500.
Then, the only other costs are for the PS2 (which I already have) headphones, installation, and a diversity TV antenna. The unit allows you to switch video inputs at will to the screens, that is, you just pick whether you want nav, DVD, or TV. The rear camera automatically switches on when the gear shift is put in reverse (from the factory).
(But you can switch it on by hitting the input from the remote....making you able to see the faces on the drivers behind you!!!!)
I plan on spending about $100 on the headphones, about $100 on the antenna, and installation is around $500.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
One other tidbit, while sitting at a light last night, people in a big-ass Mercedes were actually gawking at a Ford vehicle!!
I get that too. It's always the people in the most expensive vehicles, too. Curious- it's not like they can't afford it.

Todd

Ron Pinsonneault

Auditioning
Todd,

I also have a SDP-2000(nice player) as I travel to Europe and South America frequently. Although I don't owe anybody an explanation as to why I own an SUV, the primary reason is that I tow a 29' camper during the summer going camping to different parts of New England and Canada. Try pulling a 29' camper with any Acura on the market.
People are so ignorant/confused!!!:confused:

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
It's all good, Ron. We can leave the SUV part out of it. You won't change my mind- I won't change yours.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Mobile Theater. What's next?

Sure, I understand that when it comes to 4 wheels, man will invent anything to roll, but I'm a fan of making the kids sit back, be quiet, and enjoy the scenery. I believe it helps instill self-discipline. It's all the visual excitement outside the windows that belongs to a car.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Flip-Down Screen on ceiling for back seat/third row seat...Factory navigation system in dash will display DVD/TV for front row seat...PS2 will be playable from both screens...Plays through all 10 speakers (with DD DTS capability)...Rear-View camera (at license plate) will show on dash screen automatically when put into reverse...Voice-Activated navigation will "cut out" sound and play through speakers automatically when needed...TV will also play on both screens, and can be used on only one, while the other screen is used for DVD/PS2...Wireless headphones able to operate separate or together with either screen/input...
Ummm....my minivan has real cool cupholders! :D

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks