What's new

Blu Tak (1 Viewer)

Mike Breeden

Agent
Question: Where can you buy Blu Tak? I tried Home Depot and a couple other Hardware stores but nothing. Some posted about Fun-Tac but I was unable to find that either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Marc H

Second Unit
A stationary or office supply store?. I think the original intention was for posting notes.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Audioadvisor.com for $10 a slab. Great stuff--have used it for years. Beside audio purposes (e.g., between speakers and their stands), it is also excellent for keeping wall-mounted framed photos and art from tilting.

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if it causes stains etc. I heard that you cannot clean off walls. Have to repaint.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
My walls are painted with a satin washable paint, not flat. It does not leave a mark on them. Most walls it probably would leave a mark. As for speakers, it does get into the grain of my oak veneered speakers a little, but hey, its the bottom of the speaker. It comes right off of my shinny black lacquer stands without a trace.

Ronnie

Mike Fenech

Agent
The ol' Blu-Tak question never seem to go away, does it?

Someone would complain that high-end stores and mail order houses would sell actual Blu-Tak for $15-20 for a nice sized slab (about twice the amount of that Staples stuff shown above). And of course, someone would say they got a similar item at their local X store for less than $2, and call Blu-Tack another high-end ripoff scheme. And that person is casually reminded that Blu-Tak has a damping characteristic which most other adhesives don't have, and more importantly, will not leave an oil residue on a wood surface. And then the objectivists begin screaming for double-blind test white papers...and so on and so on...

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Mike- It's your 15 to 20 bucks, I could care less how you spend it. Also the expensive stuff would still get in the grain of my oak speakers, its not a "stain" but an "open grian" issue...

QUOTE from original Bostik datasheet (the stuff sold in audio shops)

PRECAUTION
The adhesive properties of Blu Tack increase over time, so
take extra care when removing after a period of months. On
some surfaces Blu Tack can leave an oily mark but this can
often be removed using De-Solv-It Sticky Spots or Stain
Remover or lighter fluid. Before using these products,
recommend you test on a small inconspicuous area.

rf

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I had the same experiences with the "oil stain" on my walls when hanging posters as a kid. I ended up repainting the walls after I got through my poster phase.

The stuff they sell at Home Depot is called earthquake tak or something like that. It's off white in color in a cardboard sleeve. I've removed the speakers about three times from their stands and so far, hasn't stained my cherry veneer finished speakers (over one year).

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks