What's new

Denon 2900 (1 Viewer)

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
Denon.com has the specs and pictures posted on the website for the 2900. Looks great!

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
They even have a link to the manual.

I've finally decided on a DVD player!
Now all I have to do is come up with the $$ by May.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Arnaud, thanks for the tip. The '2900 looks nice. So, denon.com confirms that the '2900 will lack HDCD and AL 24 Processing Plus. Still, it looks very nice for the money. Now that I just bought a '3800 DVD-Audio player, I am waiting for everyone to tell me that the '2900 is no good! :D

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm currently using a Sony C600D changer which has the chroma bug and won't pass a DTS signal plus an Xbox which also has the chroma bug for watching movies with DTS. I need to upgrade bad!!!!!

With many receivers only having one set of multichannel inputs, this universal player looks very attractive to me right now. I'll be keeping a close eye on the 2900 once it's released.

Keith, the 3900 will be out in the Fall and may include those features you listed.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
James, I was not aware that Denon was going to release a '3900. Is this going to be the upper-scale universal player that Denon announced? Back at CES in January, Denon announced it would be releasing two universal players. I certainly wouldn't expect Denon to release the '3900 as a DVD-Audio-only player for more money than the '2900. The '3900 had better be a universal player. ;) If so, does that mean the '9000, without SACD, will stay at the top of the heap?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What's the (expected) MSRP for the 2900? I'm considering a new player, and SACD would be a plus. If we are talking ~2X the price of a 1600, then I may just opt for that instead.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I think the price tag is MSRP $999, at least according to the
press release from Denon in January.

James St

Supporting Actor
Keith, Jeff Talmadge stated the 3800 replacement(3900?) is coming this Fall but hasn't given any details regarding price or specs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmmmm....@ $799 is right on the borderline of what I might be willing to pay if it does as well as the specs suggest. Looks like a sturdier piece of gear than the 1600.

Any better word on a street date besides May?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This player does look very sweet. Is there any review on this yet? I was going to buy the Yamaha but with the "rumor" of the noise problems it was having on dvd-audio and sacd playback, it kind of scared me away. So if this player can get it ALL right, then this is the player for me. My #1 priority is video playback, will the Denon be at the top in that category?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Another question I have. I have heard all the raves and praise for the Faroudja DCDi technology used in some of the other players such as the Yamaha. Is Denon's Silicon Image DVDO processor chip just as good as the Faroudja? Because like I said before, I am going for top notch video performance with no chroma issues.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Another question I have. I have heard all the raves and praise for the Faroudja DCDi technology used in some of the other players such as the Yamaha. Is Denon's Silicon Image DVDO processor chip just as good as the Faroudja? Because like I said before, I am going for top notch video performance with no chroma issues.
Jeff,

Check out the DVD shootout information at Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi, it has good information on most of the chips used in DVD players. From what they say the Faroudja and Silicon Images chips are the two best on the market. They just do different things better than the other. I don't remember what they were specifically.

Alex

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Yes!! This is my next player!!

- Resume on stop feature!
- Scaling!
- Zoom!
- SACD!
- DVD-A!

YAY!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks