-

Photo
- - - - -

DSOTM on DVD-Audio...is coming!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#21 of 139 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 12:05 PM

Mike said:

Quote:
Uh-oh, if Dark Side is on both high-res formats, we could end up with a debate over which format is better.

Yeah, I'd hate to see that. Up 'til now, supporters of the two formats have gotten along like peas and carrots. Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#22 of 139 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 12:07 PM

Mark, thanks for the news. Things are looking up for DVD-Audio, assuming that forthcoming releases -- Dark Side of the Moon, The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, and Queen The Game, for example -- pan out. Glad I upgraded my DVD-Audio player! Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#23 of 139 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 12:17 PM

According to my contact at DTS, Queen's The Game is on target for the latest delivery date of 4/29.

You left off two other upcoming DVD-A titles, Fleetwood Mac's new disc (slated for a day and date release with the CD (I forget the title)) as is Steely Dan's Everything Must Go

Regards,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#24 of 139 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
So not a slap in the face. A later release on DVD-A really can't hurt Sony since the bulk of sales are already done, even if just for the redbook version only. Same could be said if the DVD-A came before the SACD.

Good point, but even one sale of a DVD-A means Sony helped out the cause of the "other side" by paying for the multichannel mix to be created. I can't believe they did not have it in their deal for exclusivity on this particular multichannel mix.

J

#25 of 139 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
Good point, but even one sale of a DVD-A means Sony helped out the cause of the "other side" by paying for the multichannel mix to be created. I can't believe they did not have it in their deal for exclusivity on this particular multichannel mix.

No record label in their right mind is going to accept an infinite exclusivity agreement for any version of an album for a certain format. Such an agreement is always going to be for a finite period.

If Sony's exclusive is even just for a few months, they have benefited substantially from the arrangement. DSotM is the best press that the SACD format has ever gotten.

#26 of 139 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:42 PM

John, I wasn't trying to be complete in listing upcoming DVD-Audio titles. I certainly would welcome titles from Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan. I also read in the current issue of ICE that Jackson Browne is working on Running on Empty for DVD-Audio. Posted Image Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#27 of 139 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:51 PM

Quote:
If Sony's exclusive is even just for a few months, they have benefited substantially from the arrangement. DSotM is the best press that the SACD format has ever gotten.

True enough. I just did not expect a DVD-A to be out in the same year as the 30th Anniversary SACD release. EMI has nor problems double dipping, which is alright with me.

J

#28 of 139 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:51 PM

Quote:
I just did not expect a DVD-A to be out in the same year as the 30th Anniversary SACD release.

DSOTM on sacd is for the eight people with sacd-only multichannel rigs that also like Pink Floyd. Posted Image

The DSOTM/dvd-audio is for everybody else.

(I never even made it to co-captain of my wrestling team; I wonder why that was? Hmmm......Posted Image)

LJ

#29 of 139 OFFLINE   Dan Joy

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:22 AM

Quote:
DSOTM on sacd is for the eight people with sacd-only multichannel rigs that also like Pink Floyd.

The DSOTM/dvd-audio is for everybody else.

Now thats an unbiased open statement Posted Image

By the way Lance, do you own an sacd player or have you had a chance to listen to one on a decent system(not a kiosk in BB or CC)?
GO BLACKHAWKS !!!

#30 of 139 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:34 AM

Quote:
I think the term transcode is more accurate

Posted Image

John, you know as well as I that the industry term for this is "downconvert" - it does not connotate good or bad.

Quote:
I have yet to see anyone prove that the multichannel sacd tracks have the same resolution as the stereo sacd tracks.

Posted Image

Lance, look at the SACD spec - all channels in hirez are at 2.8 mhz. Nobody has mentioned this because it is so obvious to those familiar with the technology.

Quote:
I just did not expect a DVD-A to be out in the same year as the 30th Anniversary SACD release.

I did not either - I see that Brian Moura is skeptical that this is true and points to the rumors about the DSOTM DVDA. Maybe we should wait until an EMI rep officially puts forth a release date. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#31 of 139 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:38 AM

Quote:
Good point, but even one sale of a DVD-A means Sony helped out the cause of the "other side" by paying for the multichannel mix to be created.

Only if done completely to an analog tape, which is unlikely.

If to analog, then there is still work to A to D to 24/96 or 24/192 which will cost EMI extra. Then they have to produce and edit the video and extras content.

And based on Guthrie's comments on Super Audio, they might need to line up a new engineer...
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#32 of 139 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:24 AM

Lee,

Quote:
If to analog, then there is still work to A to D to 24/96 or 24/192 which will cost EMI extra. Then they have to produce and edit the video and extras content.

As far as A to D @ 24/96K or 24/192K is concerned, I'd be shocked if EMI doesn't have very high quality A to Ds that run at the required speeds.

There's the distinct possibility that such work has been underway for some time.

Until just before CES, this was slated for DVD-A release, and I sincerely doubt that EMI would scuttle the work done. There's no way a March '03 date could have been made without said efforts being well underway.

As far as this goes:
Quote:
And based on Guthrie's comments on Super Audio, they might need to line up a new engineer...

If Guthrie chooses to play the role of prima donna, that's his choice. There's supposed to be some guy out there named Alan Parsons, who might be delighted to work on the material.

Regards,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#33 of 139 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:30 AM

Why would Guthrie have a problem with it? He wished for SACD and he got it. Now there is the opportunity for Pink Floyd and EMI to make even more money by releasing another format, and he's going to stomp out of the room in a huff?
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#34 of 139 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
Why would Guthrie have a problem with it? He wished for SACD and he got it.
So, this is what happened? SACD was Guthrie's call?

I'm being a tad facetious here, but only because I've heard so many explanations of the whys and wherefors of the DSOTM SACD release, that I'm beginning to wonder if you guys are just making it up as you go along, settling on this story or that to the degree it fits an agenda or preconception. And I'm certainly not picking on Wayne--after all, FAIK his version is the accurate version--but I've heard so many stories about how this and that came about that I'm starting to doubt the efficacy of most of the reporting on these forums...
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#35 of 139 OFFLINE   robertLP

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:45 AM

DSOTM on sacd is for the eight people with sacd-only multichannel rigs that also like Pink Floyd.

Come on, let's be fair. I'm sure the number is well into the hundreds. IMHO, SACD is well on it's way to overtaking some audio formats such as 8-track.

The DSOTM/dvd-audio is for everybody else

No kidding. This is an album that begs to be heard in surround sound, not to mention any added visual material. I highly doubt many in the general public care only about the stereo-only track on SACD; it's the 5.1 draw that's getting a few more people to buy SACD players.

Because if the much higher # of DVD surround systems out there than similar SACD setups, this release - if it in fact happens - will create much more noise than this warm-up act.

Rob

#36 of 139 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:54 AM

I have no problem with EMI trying to make more money. The whole music industry is hurting. They currently have a $25 list price on DVD-As, which, with the exception of titles like DSOTM, have little chance of selling many copies. The new hybrid SACD release is selling very well: http://www.highfidel....umber=11569324

This certainly won't hurt future hybrid SACD efforts. Whatever the DVD-A sells will just be gravy to EMI.

#37 of 139 OFFLINE   RobBenton

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:34 AM

One thing I have a problem with is that Best buy advertised it in the sunday ad they had and it said that it had 5.1 sound but said nothing about only playable in SACD player or such. I think this might mislead people into thinking they could put it in their cd player or dvd player and hear it in 5.1 on any surround system while in fact most people won't be able to hear it in 5.1 at all or even in High res.

#38 of 139 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:05 AM

Oh, boo-hoo.

Why does it seem that in every thread on this forum, someone attempts to justify this or that complaint or concern on the basis of what the most ignorant and uninformed among us might mistakenly believe? Fuck 'em. Let 'em stuff LP records in their VCRS, let 'em cut their hair with lawnmowers, let 'em melt cheese in toasters, let 'em chew on pens until the ink runs down their throats, let 'em lick freezing cold lamp-posts, let 'em stick their penises in vacuum cleaner nozzles, let 'em run around swimming pools with pinking shears, let 'em eat their own bloody boogers, let 'em do every goddam stupid ass thing they're gonna do anyway despite the warning stickers, despite their own experience, and despite the good advice of their mamas.
"Only one is a wanderer;

#39 of 139 OFFLINE   robertLP

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:06 AM

The new hybrid SACD release is selling very well....

I don't know about that. 20,700 in the first week doesn't sound like such a big deal when you take into account all the hype it's received. This is an album that sells around 8000 a week anyway (http://www.hollywood...d/pf_stats.html )

Rob

#40 of 139 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:11 AM

Yes, no doubt about it, as robert so persuasively states, this release is a huge disappointment, a catastrophe, a boondoggle, a folly, and a failure. Should never have even been conceived, the world would be a better place without it, and I'm throwing away my disc when I get home.

To think, for once I thought I was with the popular crowd, running with the herd, participating in the prevailing zeitgeist, when all along I was hand-holding a loser. Fie, evil unpopular disc, fie!
"Only one is a wanderer;

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow