What's new

DSOTM on DVD-Audio...is coming! (1 Viewer)

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it might be of interest to those assembled here that DSOTM will also be issued as a DVD-Audio discs by EMI sometime later this year. This is reliable information as it came directly from the company...that's about all I can say at this point.

With UMG and BMG now firmly committed to the DVD-Audio camp, there should be little doubt that the format will not only survive but prosper. Some very important new acts will be preparing DVD-Audio releases for this year...not just catalog stuff but new albums.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Uh-oh, if Dark Side is on both high-res formats, we could end up with a debate over which format is better.

I wonder who will mix it and if it would be significantly different than the SACD.

NP: Marillion, Front Row Club #3

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The same mixes AND lots of cool extras
This creates an interesting question: James Guthrie created new mixes in DSD format.

Maybe Guthrie will downconvert to a PCM format from DSD. So you will have both DSD and PCM in the chain.

That will make the comparison less than a "pure DSD" versus "pure PCM" bakeoff.

:)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
All technical bullsh!t aside, I will hold off all "one format is better than the other" until I have both copies in my system and can tell myself:D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Why not upconvert to PCM from DSD?
Er, Nick...no bashing intended. There are technical reasons for this. The DSD process was originally designed to allow "downconverting" to PCM formats from the higher sample rate of DSD 2.8 MHZ down to 96 or 192khz with integer based conversion. If you go to Sony's web site, you will see a discussion on process.

Essentially you can't upconvert from DSD to PCM due to the technology implementation.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Well, the term "upconvert / downconvert" carries connotations that can be either positive or negative.

I think the term transcode is more accurate, since we are talking about two different encoding schemes.

Regards,

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Well, the term "upconvert / downconvert" carries connotations that can be either positive or negative.
I think the term transcode is more accurate, since we are talking about two different encoding schemes.
thanks for the clarification. the whole 'up/downconvert' had me confused there for a sec :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would agree with Lee though. If the *original* mix is in DSD, then "downconverting" is the right word to use, because *any* conversion whatsoever can *only* result in the same fidelity or worse. 2nd law of thermodynamics at work. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I have yet to see anyone prove that the multichannel sacd tracks have the same resolution as the stereo sacd tracks.

LJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Great news for DVD-A. The are many possibilities for bonus material for a release such as this.

I also wonder if this disc was mixed already in PCM, since it was originally rumored to be a DVD-A from the get go. What if the SACD that was just put out was mixed in DSD from already existing PCM masters for the earlier rumored DVD-A release. Uh oh, don't want to open that can of worms.

J

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I would agree with Lee though. If the *original* mix is in DSD, then "downconverting" is the right word to use, because *any* conversion whatsoever can *only* result in the same fidelity or worse. 2nd law of thermodynamics at work.
But why do dismiss, out of hand, the possiblity that it would be the same? You seem to make the illogical jump that because technically it must be the same or worse, in reality it must be worse. I think it will likely retain all the resolution of the DSD recording. Of course, if it was remastered in analog, than the whole DSD vs PCM circle jerk is moot.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Even if this disc does come out on DVD-A from a DSD master (remeber DSD is supposed to be an archiving tool and not an audio format), wouldn't this be a giant slap in the face by EMI for Sony? Sony and EMI are competitors to begin with in the music market, so it looks like EMI took the charity Sony gave them, and is now going to stab them in the back by putting out a DVD-A with mastering paid for by Sony.

With all this talk of the strategies of the various companies in getting Hi-res accepted by the masses, this has to be the best one to date. :)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
so it looks like EMI took the charity Sony gave them, and is now going to stab them in the back by putting out a DVD-A with mastering paid for by Sony.
Not really...

If anything, Sony may have paid for limited exclusivity, i.e. can't appear on other formats for a period of time.

Additionally, Sony will capitalize off of all the sales that promotes SACD to consumers.

So not a slap in the face. A later release on DVD-A really can't hurt Sony since the bulk of sales are already done, even if just for the redbook version only. Same could be said if the DVD-A came before the SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks