Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Radio frequency remote control.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Andre Barros

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 10:30 PM

I've known for a while that Bose offers a radio remote control that aparently works through walls and floors and doesn't require you to point it directly at the receiver. I've held this remote in my hand a couple of times (pretty heavy) but never tested it, is it a good system? I ask this because if it works the way it is supposed to it looks like something other manufacturers should consider right? Who wouldn't want to control everything while sitting by the pool? Are there any downsides to this system or any opinions from Bose owners?

Regards,

André

#2 of 3 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 03:24 AM

I don’t have the Bose, but I have a Radio Shack remote with a similar function. It transmits RF commands to a little receiver that you locate line-of-sight in the room with the equipment. The receiver translates the RF commands into IR. So we can watch videotapes in the bedroom with the VCR in the living room. With the right equipment, poolside control would definitely be a possiblilty.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 3 Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:15 AM

My Kenwood remote has an RF function. In theory it sounds good but I have never had much luck with it. The range was never very far and it drained the batteries like crazy. It could be that there is a lot of interference in my condo, or the Kenwood remote just sucks.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva