Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

best bass movies or parts of movies for bass shakers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   dan scorpio

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:55 PM

for all of us bass shaker lovers, what is the best movie or scene in a movie for bass shakers? my best is the avalanche scene in vertical limit(super bit)

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   BrentPollard

BrentPollard

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 01:31 AM

You'll get more response in the sotware section.Posted Image

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Alan M

Alan M

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 01:58 AM

Hi Dan, I think my favorite screen still,is the depth charge screen(15) in U-571.It really makes my shakers work.Blast after blast in a fast paced 3 minute period.Although the ship blast off screen at the end of red planet that you suggested is excellent also. Havent gone back though all the dvd's that I own to experience them,but will do that soon also. Happy shaking.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   John H

John H

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:48 AM

Star Wars Episode I "The Pod Race" sequence Ch 20-22 and Episode II (Ch3 "Return to Coruscant", Ch42 "Yoda's Cavalry" Ch43 "Clone War" are some great demo scenes. - May the tactile force be with you - John

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:02 AM

Episode II: Attack of the Clones has monstrous bass. Also good for out-of-hand bass is "Event Horizon." Tons of 'space bass.'
"He is not Herbert. We reach!"

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:05 AM

SVS has a list of movies with good bass:
http://www.svsubwoof....htm#moviedemos
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:14 AM

the depth-charge scene of u571

the retelling of the epic battle, especially the part where sauron dies in lord of the rings - fellowship of the ring
also, the battle with the cave troll has some great bass as well

the matrix isn't neccesarily bassy, but a good sub will bring out some drum rolls you may never have heard before in the sparring match between neo and morpheus.

the very first transport in the one, now while I don't remember it being heavy in the bass. . . i do know that you get the jitters for a few minutes after seeing it Posted Image

those are the only ones I can think of off hand. . . mostley because they are popular scenes for testing subs on review sites.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Pete Austin

Pete Austin

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:28 AM

My favorite bass demo movie is a little darkhorse that never gets mentioned called "Fight Club". If you've got a great system you owe it to yourself to crank this movie up and be wowed. Great bass throughout the movie. The only particular scenes I remember of the top of my head are the midair collision scene and chapter twenty-nine where they use the sphere sculpture to trash the coffee house, but trust me this movie has some huge bass to it. Just my two cents. Enjoy.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   MichaelRS

MichaelRS

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 12:20 PM

Chapter 9 Sum of all fears, the bombing, Apocalypse Now,(original) chapters 7 & 8 the helicopter attack & the Napalm hit. Blade II, Chapter 10 the house of pain. heavy techno music. U571 one of my fav's. both new Star Wars Movies, not much in the story, buts lots of great special sound effects. Seems like a lot of new movies are putting more emphasis in the boom department. I love it, my wife hates it, she thinks I am trying to destroy all her knick knacks & vases, that keep falling off the shelves.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:37 AM

Let's not forget the power surge scene in Monsters, Inc. That was pretty darn good too, albeit not as long a scene as U-571.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:54 AM

I don't have bass shakers, but the bass scenes I like are the ones you don't expect. Like last night, I jumped off the couch during the car factory chase scene in Minority Report when the dude fires the (sound wave???) gun at Tom Cuise . I forget what chapter number it is, but it starts with Tom running out of an alley and the other dude pulls up in a black car. I also enjoyed the cross-walk scene in Monsters Inc. Nice effect! LOTR- Balrog scene, and under the tree roots by the roadside, etc, etc... The avalanche in xXx. Blade II Have not seen U-571, I need to rent it. Ronnie
[c]
Meet our new boy, Mousse![/c]

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:45 AM

Titan AE
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Christopher~O

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 05:03 AM

The end of Fight club where
he shoots himself
then again
when the buildings are coming down.
These two scenes have my SVS moving the couch across the floor.
My HT
My DVDz

I ♥TiVo
If you can't beat them arrange to have them beaten.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Martice

Martice

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:25 AM

[quote] These two scenes have my SVS moving the couch across the floor [quote]

Time to recalibrate the sub or get a new couch.

How so many fail to mention JP3 is beyond me.

The Haunting DTS is a must hear and must feel. The effects alone are worth the cost of the DVD.

Pearl Harbor is another one.

Across Enemy Lines - The tank attack scene and the mine field scene.

I second XXX and Titan A.E. along with the above mentioned movies as true reference tools to show off your subs low end capabilities.
Turn Key Guy!

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Martice

Martice

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:35 AM

double post
Turn Key Guy!

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Mat_M

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 09:10 AM

A GREAT scene is in LOTR...The Bridge of Khazad Dum. This is the scene Ronnie mentioned. It has explosive bass, rumbling bass, and bass that just plain makes my floor shake. I believe it's chapter 30.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   JakeMcM

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:09 PM

I don't have bass shakers, but I love the roar of the Balrog in Lotr, on my DIY tempest sub. It was actually that exact part of LOTR that spurred me to upgrade from my HTIB after hearing it on a decent floorstanding Polk system. I didn't realize what I was missing until then...I wonder what I am missing now?

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Tyler_B

Tyler_B

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 12:37 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned "The Fifth Element" yet. It's been awhile since I saw it in the theater, but I remember nearly every part of the soundtrack was laden with earth-shaking bass Posted Image I know the movie's a bit old, but it's still great. Maybe Ron could do a review of the DVD?

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   bruin

bruin

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:07 PM

War movies like We Were Soldiers...whenever air support is called in... submarine movies: K2- widowmaker, das boot, u571

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   JimCo

JimCo

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:30 PM

Love the car factory scene in 'Minority Report' that gun has some tremendous bass. 'U-571' is great, too. Beginning of 'Attack of the Clones' as Padme's ship descends on Corsucant, then explodes, as well as the seismic charges during the chase through the asteroid field. LOTR:FOTR, I prefer to start right as Pippin knocks the skeleton over into the well. The orc drums are my favorite, but followed by the Cave Troll, then the Balrog generates a great demo. Episode 7 of 'Band of Brothers', 'The Breaking Point' is great, the shelling of Easy Company has some intense bass. And if you receive HBO with 5.1 sound and get a chance to catch 'Live from Baghdad' (or when it comes to DVD) once the bombing of Baghdad begins, you'll think your neighborhood is being bombed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users