Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

To DV-47Ai or not to DV-47Ai?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 07:15 PM

Mark- FWIW:

http://www.hometheat....ht=yamaha bass

In addition, S&V did a review not too long ago. Their measurements showed higher than usual noise levels for all formats except SACD.

Video, it's a great player. But audio is where it could be better. Pioneer's are great for audio (except for the original 47a), but they have the chroma bug.

Maybe the Denon will be closer...
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#22 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 04:05 AM

Lets just hope that the Denon 2900 nails it on both the audio and video.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#23 of 28 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 09:44 AM

Jeff- Kind of "unfair," all the expectations we are putting onto the 2900, aay? Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#24 of 28 OFFLINE   Krzysztof W

Krzysztof W

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 11:56 AM

It is just my opinion, but it was definitely a factor when I decided not to wait for Denon player. I was trying to upgrade my receiver about a year ago (this is how it started). I had Yamaha RXV 620. I auditioned a lot of stuff including high end receivers from Yamaha and Denon. I had to admit that I found Denon sound boring. I really tried to buy Denon AVR 4802 and it did not do for me. Actually I thought that Yamaha receivers sounded better than Denon. It is just my opinion. Eventually I ended up with Rotel processor and amplifiers and I am really happy about that. Yamaha S-2300 sounds exactly like I expected and I love it. I also tried Pink Floyd SACD yesterday and it was really something. I think S-2300 is really great piece of equipment

Krzysztof

#25 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 01:48 AM

Kevin- not at all. These companies have been building dvd players for quite awhile now. And they should have figured out how to fix all the bugs and problems that have plagued their other players. And at a $1000 price tag, I would expect the "perfect" player. Thats why I am waiting to see if this "perfect" player is worth it or not. This will be the last dvd player purchase
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 01:57 AM

Sorry, I hit enter on accident. Anyway, this will be the last dvd player purcgase that I will make until hd-dvd. So I want a very good one to hold me over till then. Which I am thinking 2-3 years from now.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 07:39 AM

I was thinking the same thing: "perfect" video (no chroma bug at least), and "perfect" audio (BM for all formats at least).

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#28 of 28 OFFLINE   Tony Casler

Tony Casler

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 11:26 AM

I am a 47Ai owner, and I am very happy with it. DVD-A and SACD sound incredible, and my system uses full range speakers all around, so bass management isn't an issue. Video performance is outstanding, a huge leap ahead of my old DV-353-k, and I have seen no evidence of the chroma bug.
I would recommend it without hesitation.
My DVD Collection

My Video Game Collection