What's new

Gamecube for PSO (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have an XBox and would like very much to play Phantasy Star Online when it comes out this month. Unfortunately my neighborhood is likely to be the last place on this planet to get high speed internet. I admit I liked PSO's single player mode when it was on Dreamcast so should I spend 90.00 to play on my XBox or 190.00 to get a Gamecube console and the game? I looked over the roster of Gamecube games and I admit none of them really caught my interest. Correct me if I missed anything.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
With Xbox, you cannot even play the offline game unless you have a Live account. I assume that you need to activate the account, not just have the disk, so without broadband access it would be useless. With a GC you can play 56K, but you'll need to buy the modem module. Both services add a monthly charge. Is it possible to still play the Dreamcast version online? There are quite a few GameCube bundle sales, but I'm not sure if PSO is included in any of them. You could always exchange whatever game you get for PSO, though. The GameCube is actually a good console, with some great exclusive games. I think it's worth having just to play Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Legend of Zelda: OOT and WW, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil(s), etc. If none of these interest you, what games/genres do you like? I don't recommend GC for fighting or sports games.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I always had connection problems when playing with the Dreamcast so I haven't bothered for quite some time. I tend to like fighting games and FPSs though I like any game that is essentially well-designed. These days I'm shorter on time so a game has to really capture my interest to make the cut. I think I may consider the Gamecube route, considering it gives me more options.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If you are planning on playing the single player game & still have your Dreamcast, I'd save the money and just pick up PSO v2 for the Dreamcast. It's pretty much the same. A few new classes, but nothing to write home about.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks