What's new

Are these films available on Laser Disc? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I recently acquired a Laser Disc player and have been scouring eBay for LDs that aren't available on DVD or are superior to their DVD counterparts. There's a few titles that I'm really pining for, but I'm not even sure if they're available on laserdisc. Could anyone give me a definitive "yes" or "no" for the following titles?

Airborne
The Chipmunk Adventure
The Hobbit
The Wizard

(I know that "The Hobbit" is available on DVD but that disc's soundtrack has severe flaws.) Also, I know that the following titles ARE definitely available on LD, but I've only seen pan-and-scan or fullscreen versions. Are any of the following available in widescreen on LD?

Flight of the Navigator
Freaked
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Of course, if I've made a mistake and any of these titles are available on DVD or planned for release (I know that "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" is available in pan-and-scan in the US and widescreen overseas), please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Airborne- Yes, widescreen
The Chipmunk Adventure- not sure
The Hobbit- don't think so
The Wizard- Yes (I have it!) but not widescreen

None of these are widescreen:
Flight of the Navigator
Freaked- has "Formatted to fit your screen" notice on cover
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Honey I Blew Up The Kid was widescreen however (it was one of the first movies I ran in a theater and it was hard-matted 1.85. The LD also has the "Off His Rockers" computer-animated short that I don't think has appeared anywhere else.)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks for the quick reply, Jesse! I have just a quick follow-up question and comment.

First, the question — Any chance I could persuade you to part with "The Wizard"? (The Fred Savage Nintendo movie, right?) Or any suggestions on where else I might be able to snag a copy? I've been on the lookout for this one but have had absolutely no luck. Stinks that it's not widescreen but I guess I'll cave in just this once.

Also, looking at your sig, I just wanted to say that the widescreeen LD of "Super Mario Bros." is one of the reasons I wanted a LD player in the first place!

Thanks again.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Try Ebay- If I see another copy around here though I'll let you know (I got mine from Ken Crane's for about 3 bucks when they blew out the last of their LDs! Also got another Universal classic, Cool As Ice!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks